G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

'08 G35X auto downshifting hard on declines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaronK
Resetting is a pain in the ***, don't bother the car will learn soon enough. Took a week of bumper to bumper in the city to make my car go from responsive throttle to laggy as hell....and another week of spirited driving to go back to the way it was.
True, I have seen it happen to my personally. It sucks when you constantly drive back and forth from the city. When I drive into boston my throttle is so laggy and unresponsive sometimes. And when I come back to suburbs the throttle is so responsive, when i don't need it to be. I guess the car is like a women, you always need time to figure them out.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyket
LOL..How do I reset my ECU? When I got the car I used to get 14mpg now, but since then I have matured up and get around 22mpg.

I still have a heavy foot but I try to control it at all times.

Yea, When you leave your car in DS going downhill it will keep it in a lower gear at higher RPMS. It's pretty normal.
its not that hard you can either disconnect the battery or you can do the gas pedal thing
search it on My37.com

something with pumping the gas pedal its a pain in the *** but not that bad

Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the OP might be experiencing is a harder downshift than the downshift and higher rev. Over time mine has come to the point that it slams into the lower gear with a very pronounced thud. I plan on taking it in under the power train warranty.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When you describe it that way, I'd check the tranny and motor mounts.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G3Sx
Going from 5th straight to 3rd with a pronounced throttle blip and rev match is perhaps the most exciting thing about my commute to work every morning. This feature is to be embraced, not be bothered by. It is there to improve handling as it prevents the car from nose diving during the downshift and upsetting the car's balance, especially when entering a turn.
Also, I've noticed the car's adaptive shifting strategy is like a puppy that gets and remains excited until you bore it to the point where it loses interest.
If I drive easy for a few days when it rains for example, it shifts a lot smoother as if it learns that I prefer a smooth ride. Getting on it, however, will entice "the puppy" to behave in a more playful manner.
So could it be that after you drive the car in a "spirited fashion" and your wife gets in to drive afterwards, the car still thinks you want to "play around" and therefore holds the revs longer and overall acts as if it expects you (or her in this case) to keep driving the same way you did the last time the car was driven?
You make a good point. No question I drive the car completely differently than my wife does. I have a '99 RX 300 SUV with over 200,000 miles as my regular ride, so when I get behind the wheel of the G alone, I definitely enjoy its capabilities. You may be right, but either way I'm now convinced this is not a problem.