G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

What type of oil are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
if an aggregate oil analysis on a specific motor that shows comparisons from multiple oils and how it affects a specific motor (our motors) then idk wat other types of data can be provided to give consumers an idea of what oil is good vs the other on our cars. if u frequently change ur oil at 3k miles then oil type doesnt really matter too much. but most of us would rather change it at 5-7k mile. at that interval yes i would like something that performs a tad better than the other oils

Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
This is obvious. His car was originally running on dino oil and switched to synthetic. Synthetic oil is thinner and can go through leaky gaskets easier than dino oil.

This doesn't say anything, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. If he used any synthetic oil the result would be the same. The leaking has nothing to do with Mobil 1 being bad or anything. Again, this proves that saywat? is just trying to bash Mobil 1 just because one graph said it was bad for the DE engines. Maybe you should read up on BITOG. Lots of helpful information there.

What is obvious is that his engine has a leaky gasket somewhere and should be fixed. Type of oil does nothing to his car.
oil manufctures have always said there is nothing wrong with switching back and forth. but then theyre generally speaking like usual . i dont have a general motor i have a vq with specific needs and wants. and if its been shown to have a negative affect on my specific motor im not going to continue using that product and risk it.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
if an aggregate oil analysis on a specific motor that shows comparisons from multiple oils and how it affects a specific motor (our motors) then idk wat other types of data can be provided to give consumers an idea of what oil is good vs the other on our cars. if u frequently change ur oil at 3k miles then oil type doesnt really matter too much. but most of us would rather change it at 5-7k mile. at that interval yes i would like something that performs a tad better than the other oils
OOOKAY . . . so apparently, you completely missed my point.

(ie. without a reference for what numerical amount value makes any significant difference in the lifespan of our engines, it's all relatively meaningless)

Let me try one more example: IF it only takes one modern nuclear missile to theoretically wipe out a small island nation that threatens you, does it really make twice the difference or is considered twice as good if you have 200 vs. 400 nukes at your disposal for that purpose?
( hint: think overkill )

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
^im familiar with ur posts regarding oil and ur thoughts on dino vs syn vs name brand vs generic. not gonna sit here and debate with u. one way to figure out how much specks found in oil would measure how bad the oil is, that would be something the blackstone folks could inform on as they are way more knowledgable than us. we are jus speculators at this point lol

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
^im familiar with ur posts regarding oil and ur thoughts on dino vs syn vs name brand vs generic. not gonna sit here and debate with u. one way to figure out how much specks found in oil would measure how bad the oil is, that would be something the blackstone folks could inform on as they are way more knowledgable than us. we are jus speculators at this point lol
Just remember, they are also in the business of selling more tests too. It is not in their own best interest to make it clear that either X or Y trace amounts are not really going to matter. Better to leave the uninformed to draw "obvious' conclusions and further compel you to test repeatedly to be sure you're not getting 'high' numbers.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Lol, I have to agree with vqsmile here. To be honest, no matter what oil you choose, your engine will run fine.

Unless you put vegetable or olive oil in your engine, any oil will make your car last as long as it needs to be. This oil debate is getting very silly. Synthetic oil protects your engine more, but the point is moot if you have regular oil change intervals.

Anyways, the manual DOES say to change oil every 3k miles, regardless of synthetic or conventional.

I run Mobil 1 EP and change it every 8k miles, and engine is as smooth as ever. I have 75k miles and not a drop burned or lost. I've also used dino oil with regular OCI in my car between 20k-50k miles. Westbank23 who has been losing 2 quarts every 3000 miles has some serious engine problems (and only at 60k too!). he must've gotten into an accident which damaged a crucial engine component or did not have good routine maintenance. My experience has been wonderful. My dad drives a Honda Odyssey and uses DINO oil at those quickie oil change shops and runs them at 7-8k OCI and his engine has been fine and it's already got 150k miles. What does that tell you about the difference in oil? It doesn't matter which oil you use, because the engine will run much longer than other parts in your vehicle.

Again, saywat? choose what oil you want. In the long run it won't matter, and if it makes you feel better that you use Castrol oil, then by all means use it. You don't have to preach to others how Mobil 1 synthetic is worse. The whole point is it doesn't matter at this level anyways. You're pretty much debating whether an Lamborghini or a Ferrari is a better car. They're both extremely nice already. No need to keep exhausting the topic of high end synthetic oil.

There are plenty of people with good and bad experiences with whichever oil you choose. I'm sure there are people out there with tests showing that Castrol oil is worse than Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 EP oil filters are supposedly the best, but I'm sure if you ran a cheaper filter like PureOne your car will also be fine.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Just wanted to chime. VQS makes a good point that Blackstone may be biased, but i personally don't find that an issue. Over the years, they don't really mind telling me to either lower intervals or stretch it out. When i ask them about some issues (like oil burning on my old Maxima,) they were very helpful in explaining everything i needed to know about it, and then some. You can even contact them offline to talk to a tech for further info. For $20, i don't mind if they have some bias, it's cheap insurance for me. The BITOG guys also don't seem to find any fault with Blackstone's analysis and opinions. And those BITOG guys are hardcore.

Btw, if anyone checks Infiniti's schedules online, they have several schedules to follow. For easy stuff, you can follow a longer interval.

At the end of the day, oil changes are about frequency and how much stress you're putting on the engine/filter during each interval.

When i don't hit the track, i've gone as far as 9k, with no issues. When i do, i lower that interval a bit. Granted, i've hit that mark even after going to the track. Again, no issues.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Just wanted to chime. VQS makes a good point that Blackstone may be biased, but i personally don't find that an issue. Over the years, they don't really mind telling me to either lower intervals or stretch it out. When i ask them about some issues (like oil burning on my old Maxima,) they were very helpful in explaining everything i needed to know about it, and then some. You can even contact them offline to talk to a tech for further info. For $20, i don't mind if they have some bias, it's cheap insurance for me. The BITOG guys also don't seem to find any fault with Blackstone's analysis and opinions. And those BITOG guys are hardcore.

Btw, if anyone checks Infiniti's schedules online, they have several schedules to follow. For easy stuff, you can follow a longer interval.

At the end of the day, oil changes are about frequency and how much stress you're putting on the engine/filter during each interval.

When i don't hit the track, i've gone as far as 9k, with no issues. When i do, i lower that interval a bit. Granted, i've hit that mark even after going to the track. Again, no issues.
I guess the point was that saywat? was trying to bash a particular brand of oil even though every one of them are considered "top tier" synthetic oils anyways...the minute differences between any of them aren't significant in the long run.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
since unscientific personal experience seems to be the only valid arguement here when i tried mobil1 for the first time since everyone here vouched for it i was getting random engine clunks at idle especially at cold startup. oil level was good

after it was time to change my oil again i went back to castrol syntec and the clunking is gone. its a miracle. no facts no scientific proof, just miracles. and no i dont live in cold climates

Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
^ Like I said, for every one issue you have, thousands of others don't. Maybe you've been using the wrong oil before. Maybe perhaps your car doesn't like Mobil 1 oil. All I can say is that my car has been perfectly fine with any oil I've thrown at it, including Mobil 1 and quick shop dino oil. I'm sure the majority would agree with me. I live in a cold climate. I have absolutely no clunking or any weird noises from my engine.

Most G owners do use Mobil 1 with absolutely no issues.

You're like arguing whether gas from Shell is better than gas from Chevron or Mobil...they're all good gas.

Actually, I think that there may be something that is going bad in your engine then. Millions of other G owners do not have your issue. Have you ever considered that there actually may be something that is going bad in your engine? If other people don't have this issue and you do, then maybe you should consider yourself being the outlier or your engine telling you a bigger problem.

Castrol Syntec may be just putting a bandaid over your failing part. If I were in your shoes, I'd consider something else other than "Oh, that oil must be bad then." If other people don't have your issue, then you've got a problem.

Also, to be honest, people usually report their problems online on here, and since majority of G owners do use Mobil 1, I'd expect more complaints on Mobil 1 on here than any other oil, statistically speaking.

In fact, look here! https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/137675-what-oil-will-you-use-your-new-g-poll.html
According to the poll, 72% of G owners plan to use Mobil 1! Do you see 72% failure rates or clunking noises in our engine? Don't make your problem so widespread when it really isn't. Mobil 1 is a good oil. It won't do much harm to your engine.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM

since unscientific personal experience seems to be the only valid arguement here ...
Oh please!

I've actually been been saying quite the contrary. I would gladly welcome some scientific measure of relevance to the info you provided, but without that benchmark reference for what trace amount quantity matters, it's all just pretty numbers on the screen, and arguably quite unscientific on YOUR part.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
interestingly the ones who ask for data dont provide any of their own to back up their stance either. kinda funny lol

Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
interestingly the ones who ask for data dont provide any of their own to back up their stance either. kinda funny lol
Not really, because obviously people who are HAPPY with the oil don't come on here to keep saying how awesome their oils are.

Most of the time you can only find complaints about a specific oil. The ONLY scientific data you can show is the one from UOA but even that doesn't really say anything relevant, so you're just on the same boat too.

What I know is that Mobil 1 oil is the top selling synthetic oil in the world. That's what you really only need to know to know that the oil is fine for your car. It may not be necessarily the best oil out there, but it won't certainly harm your engine to the point where it would make a significant difference if you switched to another oil.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Not really, because obviously people who are HAPPY with the oil don't come on here to keep saying how awesome their oils are.

Most of the time you can only find complaints about a specific oil. The ONLY scientific data you can show is the one from UOA but even that doesn't really say anything relevant, so you're just on the same boat too.

What I know is that Mobil 1 oil is the top selling synthetic oil in the world. That's what you really only need to know to know that the oil is fine for your car. It may not be necessarily the best oil out there, but it won't certainly harm your engine to the point where it would make a significant difference if you switched to another oil.
1) people say how awesome mobil1 is on here all the time

2) i never asked for data from the opposing arguments like they have been hounding me for

3)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
What's to back up.? The point is valid on it's own. Do you seriously not understand what the point of my posts have been? . . . perhaps you don't understand statistics?

Please reread my comment about the chart from my earlier post:

Originally Posted by vqsmile;
You have apparently interpreted it to mean a clear distinction between what's good and what's bad, when it really just shows how each compares to each other and to the collective samples. However interesting that all may be, without a reference it does not demonstrate one way or the other that any of them would not suffice for your car.
Note that it is a simple recognition of the incompleteness of the data that YOU provided to support YOUR opinion. What data would you require from me to support that??? I never refuted the actual data, just its relevance and the conclusion that you drew from it. There is no data required for that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What type of oil are you guys using?