G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Firestone lifetime alignment not so good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone lifetime alignment not so good?

2007 g35s lowered on Eibach pro kit, rear spc camber arms and rolling on 20's. I took my car into firestone to get an alignment done and after alignment, I'm still getting -2.2 left rear camber and -2 right rear camber. Toes are all within spec and since I don't have front camber kit, my front camber is -1.4 left and -2 right. I knew the front camber was going to be off but did not expect my rear to be off by that much too. The front desk person who gave me my print sheet basically told me the tech was not able to adjust the rear camber because it was maxed out already. He recommended to try a different camber kit. its a mild drop and SPC is a quality product. Is it possible that the people working there either don't know what they are doing or they just don't give a **** about it? or maybe both...I'm going to take it to another firestone next town over and see if it will make a difference. if not, then i will just take it to a real alignment shop and have them take a look at it.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 100 Likes on 87 Posts
I was dropped on z s techs and my local Firestone was able to get both front and rear back into specs with f/r spc camber kit. I'll never take it back though. Service was terrible and they didn't install my left camber arm in the rear because "it wasn't needed", even though I specifically asked them to install it. They look lazy and just trying to get your money. Got charged 150 for the alignment.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
it is possible that mechanic at the firestone you took it to is a complete moron.

I went to 3 firestone shops before I found a good mechanic. The mechanic I take it to owns a dumped EVO and defiantly knows how to align lowered cars.

Gen on the interwebs and read the reviews of the shops before you go there.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't deal with Firestone alignments, even though they offer that lifetime alignment package. For the amount of headaches people go through with them I'd rather just find a good suspension/alignment shop that knows what they're doing the first time around.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Honestly I wouldn't deal with Firestone alignments, even though they offer that lifetime alignment package. For the amount of headaches people go through with them I'd rather just find a good suspension/alignment shop that knows what they're doing the first time around.
you are bound to run into a similar issues with any shop, they use identical machinery to perform the procedure, it all depends on the mechanic that knows aftermarket industry.
If OP has aftermarket camber arms, system which only shows OEM adjustment points will not show the mechanic what and where to adjust. But if this mechanic knows a part when he sees one, he'll adjust it with no issues. Sometimes you have to tell the mechanic that you have aftermarket adjustable arms so they will know to adjust additional points and not just the ones that system shows them to.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I have the same components that you do but I have the rear toe bolts and front A arms intstalled as well. All four wheels are within factory spec. Firestone has always done my alignments. As others have said, it's not the shop ... it's the Tech that worked on your car.

Originally Posted by athelaw915
2007 g35s lowered on Eibach pro kit, rear spc camber arms and rolling on 20's. I took my car into firestone to get an alignment done and after alignment, I'm still getting -2.2 left rear camber and -2 right rear camber. Toes are all within spec and since I don't have front camber kit, my front camber is -1.4 left and -2 right. I knew the front camber was going to be off but did not expect my rear to be off by that much too. The front desk person who gave me my print sheet basically told me the tech was not able to adjust the rear camber because it was maxed out already. He recommended to try a different camber kit. its a mild drop and SPC is a quality product. Is it possible that the people working there either don't know what they are doing or they just don't give a **** about it? or maybe both...I'm going to take it to another firestone next town over and see if it will make a difference. if not, then i will just take it to a real alignment shop and have them take a look at it.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
you have to tell them you have XXX parts. I normally tell them, you told me if i bought this part it will work. And they do it.

This is one of those cases where the OLD farts dont know how to do it, and the high school kid has no clue either, you need to get the guy in the mid 20-30's to do thealignment.

Also, i dislike people who own DUMPED evo/sti's because they are only hurting the performance of the car. But thats another story...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Joker - I'm sure it also happens at other shops. That's why it's important to do your homework and know who you're working with. There's only one shop I visit in Southern California, and the guy that runs it has been there for a very long time. He's an older man that deals with a lot of exotics, hot rods, off road trucks, etc. He even has a alignment "pit" for lowered cars, where the rack is ground level, and he goes underneath it. Just gotta find those hidden gems where the staff is knowledgeable to get the results you want.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I cannot tell you guys how much I hate Firestone via forum post. Every Firestone I've been to have incompetent mechanics. I mean, how the hell do they screen their applicants before hiring? **** doesn't make sense. Plus, they always charge an assload of money for simple *** ****. So I now have a local auto shop that charges fair prices and have much better service than Firestone. I'm not going to say all of the Firestones suck but every one that I've gone to did. My friend used to work at Les Schwab and said they can do your alignment for you since they don't have that drive-up ramp thing if your car is too low. That's where I get my alignments now.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 100 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMPenn
I cannot tell you guys how much I hate Firestone via forum post. Every Firestone I've been to have incompetent mechanics. I mean, how the hell do they screen their applicants before hiring? **** doesn't make sense. Plus, they always charge an assload of money for simple *** ****. So I now have a local auto shop that charges fair prices and have much better service than Firestone. I'm not going to say all of the Firestones suck but every one that I've gone to did. My friend used to work at Les Schwab and said they can do your alignment for you since they don't have that drive-up ramp thing if your car is too low. That's where I get my alignments now.
I feel ya.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I have firestone lifetime alignments. Im always aligning my car haha. Getting my monies worth out of that!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I drop off near work for oil change I always have them do alignment.

Only way I can justify letting someone else change my oil.