G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Whomp Whomp from Front Driver's Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whomp Whomp from Front Driver's Wheel

Hey guys,

Just bought a 07' G35S 5AT with about 98,000KM (~60,000 Miles) on it and been driving it since September.

While everything else is fine on the car, i just constantly hear a whomp whomp or howling (sort of a whistling that goes whomp whomp) from the front, most dominately on the driver's side going above 40km/h and usually coasting though braking may make it a bit more noticable. Though its still droned out by tire noise once at around 80km/h.

So i would have thought either the wheel bearing or wheel hub was on its way out based on what i've been finding around forums as its a common part to fail on the G35.

Dealer checked it for me in addition to the oil change i did and said the wheel bearing were fine and the tires were wearing evenly and still plenty of tread left on them. Technican just said it was a noisy tire - running Toyo Tourevo LSs the previous owner had. Service Advisor just told me to just see if the noise goes away with time.

So i just was wondering what could be wrong with it if the wheel bearing and tires checked out fine. Because i honestly think it can't JUST be the tire whomping along and could be a wheel bearing.

I'll probably make a note of it the next time i'm in for a service (in the spring) since the powertrain warranty is going to expire by August of next year (doubt i'll reach 110,000km by then). So any thoughts on what it may be?

Thanks!
Tim

Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
First, before I waited another season and since it's my life not theirs, I'd want to (personally) lay eyes upon every inch of the tire(s); looking for any bubbles, blisters, rub marks, or cord splits, no matter what they've said. Then, regardless of the tire(s) looking like there's anything wrong with them, I'd swap them around to see if the symptoms follow them. If it does, it could just be that you need a good Road Force balancing performed on them.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
my stock potenzas did that. it was awful. replaced the tires and the sound has yet to come back

Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Update - Wheel Bearings Replaced Under Warranty

Hey guys, wanted to revive it from the dead because I kind of got it addressed today.

Brought the issue up again, except with a different service advisor, this time they replaced both front wheel bearings under warranty claiming "excessive play".

The noise isn't there anymore so that's a relief, though it seems the car doesn't shutter as much though, be it braking or coasting downhill, I still have to drive the car more to confirm as theres still a possibility that the rotors are warped.

So i'll have to monitor that and get the rotors checked by the selling dealer (who is fully accommodating it since they replaced the pads when I bought it) in case.

So yeah, just wanted to fill everyone in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Timbits93:
mishmosh (05-03-2013), vqsmile (05-03-2013)