G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 Sedan front alignment (not lowered)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Sedan front alignment (not lowered)

I have a 2007 Sedan G35 with 80k miles on it and the car is in great shape (never abused and is not lowered at all) but a couple of strange things happening. When I'm on the freeway or even city roads the front wheels will seem to catch grooves in the lane and want to follow them. Also, when turning 90 degrees into a parking spot the front end feels like it is shifting slightly as I'm pulling into the spot.

Took the car to Big O to check alignment and they said the front left camber is out of spec at something like -.8 or -.08 I don't recall. They said the Infiniti camber can't be adjusted and I need to pay about $900 for a new adjustable control arm. Does this sound right? Seems odd Infiniti wouldn't allow any adjustment if the camber could actually get out of alignment?

If this is truly possible and if anyone has had this happen, then are there any suggestions for an inexpensive adjustable control arm (preferably one I could install myself)? I have 3 years unlimited alignments at Big O so I don't have to pay for the alignment once the new control arm is in. Also, do I have to change both sides? The right side was barely out of spec and the mechanic said if the left was changed then the right might be ok after realigning it.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
K.C
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried calling the dealer to see if what your shop told you was correct?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Since I have free alignments at Big-O, I've decided to go to another location tomorrow and see what they have to say and then if it is consistent I will contact the dealer. The dealer charges $125 upfront just to diagnose anything so I usually go there as last resort when it comes to diagnosing stuff.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by innsxtc
I have a 2007 Sedan G35 with 80k miles on it and the car is in great shape (never abused and is not lowered at all) but a couple of strange things happening. When I'm on the freeway or even city roads the front wheels will seem to catch grooves in the lane and want to follow them. Also, when turning 90 degrees into a parking spot the front end feels like it is shifting slightly as I'm pulling into the spot.

Took the car to Big O to check alignment and they said the front left camber is out of spec at something like -.8 or -.08 I don't recall. They said the Infiniti camber can't be adjusted and I need to pay about $900 for a new adjustable control arm. Does this sound right? Seems odd Infiniti wouldn't allow any adjustment if the camber could actually get out of alignment?

If this is truly possible and if anyone has had this happen, then are there any suggestions for an inexpensive adjustable control arm (preferably one I could install myself)? I have 3 years unlimited alignments at Big O so I don't have to pay for the alignment once the new control arm is in. Also, do I have to change both sides? The right side was barely out of spec and the mechanic said if the left was changed then the right might be ok after realigning it.
The condition of following the lines in the road is called tramlining. You can search around here and just in general and find lots of pertinent info on it and its most common causes (numerous factors including tires, alignment specs, worn suspension components, etc.). I am somewhat suspicious of the claim from the Big-O guy, as neither .08 or 0.8 degrees sound like a signifiicant amount of camber. Sounds more like there might be some issue there, but perhaps not what's causing your problems, although they are always more than happy for the business of fixing ANYTHING they can persuade you to fix, regardless of whether it's causing your symptoms or not. Has your car ever been in an accident before? or recently hit some major potholes or something? Are your tires in good condition? Have you tried simply rotating them to see if the symptoms changed? Did the BigO guy give you a printed sheet of the current alignment specs that you could post a copy of. Also, a description of your current tires (brand, size, treadwear); it would help a lot.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
You're not going to believe this but I took it to another BigO tires this morning and they said it was just fine other than the toe being off ever so slightly. I did notice their report showed the camber at the same measurement as the other place did but it was totally in range which means the other place must have not been using the right specs for the car. Unbelievable! I still don't know what might be causing the tram lining and the odd shifting feeling when pulling into a parking stall but at least it isn't the alignment. My steering wheel feels a little stiff when driving too so maybe it is all related. I'll have to call the dealer next but I'm glad I don't have to replace any control arms!!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
BigO tire is like Sears, PepBoys along with Firestone and Goodyear. What difference does it make if you have life time alignment warranty or whatever if it isn't done right in the first place? This is like expecting to get a good paint job at OneDay. Talk to auto parts employees, friends and neighbors ask them if they know of a good independent brake/alignment shop in your area. Suspension and alignment is there job, if you can find a good one you'll never go anywhere else!
Gary

Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by innsxtc
You're not going to believe this but I took it to another BigO tires this morning and they said it was just fine other than the toe being off ever so slightly. I did notice their report showed the camber at the same measurement as the other place did but it was totally in range which means the other place must have not been using the right specs for the car. Unbelievable! I still don't know what might be causing the tram lining and the odd shifting feeling when pulling into a parking stall but at least it isn't the alignment. My steering wheel feels a little stiff when driving too so maybe it is all related. I'll have to call the dealer next but I'm glad I don't have to replace any control arms!!
Toe can be a huge factor in tramlining, but it sounds like it's still there after that was set. You still need to eliminate the most common cause though: TIRES. Also, did the second Big-O do a check for worn balljoints, bushings, etc.?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Also, new & improved aftermarket "adjustable" control arms are about $350 a set. $900 sounds about right after they push that "magic" screwgee button on their calculator