G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

MT shift knob removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MT shift **** removal

Hello,

I have tried and tried and I have come over a couple of posts in the past but could not find them again. I am trying to remove the stock shift **** on the 2007. I heard when worse comes to worst, just just a lot of elbow grease. I am having such a hard time with this removal. Why is it so difficult. I did a bunch of search on this site and on youtube and google. Please help with advice or links.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Never mind. After a lot of cursing and doing more research, I just decided to use two vice grips and just went to town on the shifter. It finally broke and started twisting off. Well worth the effort!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Ya its a real PITA which is why i left it as is despite wanting to change it after seeing a few people messing up the shifting rod

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Ya its a real PITA which is why i left it as is despite wanting to change it after seeing a few people messing up the shifting rod
I really would have kept it stock for a while but I had purchased a **** from TWM Performance for about $165 for my 1990 Miata but no longer have that car. The **** is pretty much universal so I had to purchase an adapter for the G35 for about $40 more, so I had already invested $200 in an aftermarket shifter so I decided to try my luck.

The online instructions I found gave me an idea of what to do but was not very clear. I ended up mangling the stock shifter so I knew it was point of no return. I thought there was something wrong even when I used two vice grips to try to loosen the stock ****. Eventually it gave and I finally got it off. Below are some pictures of the stock and new ****:

http://s1201.beta.photobucket.com/us...380a4.jpg.html

http://s1201.beta.photobucket.com/us...0c9eb.jpg.html

Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Looks nice! any advice for future if you had to do it again? i ask because i plan on doing this but just dont want to be stranded with a messed up shifter if it dosent want to come off lol

Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Looks nice! any advice for future if you had to do it again? i ask because i plan on doing this but just dont want to be stranded with a messed up shifter if it dosent want to come off lol
From my experience, if you do it right you won't mess up the shifter, but I can't promise you the same with shifter. You really would want to lift up the shift boot and grab the shifter shaft with a vice grip. I just used an old rag as the buffer so I didn't scratch or mess up the shifter. As far as the **** itself, I also used another rag with a vice grip but that thing got mangled to pieces. It still works, but its hard to look at. You could probably put a lot of rubber bands or electrical tape around the **** but from my experience, I can't really see how it would save it too much.

I would really suggest having another person around to help hold the shifter shaft or to turn the **** itself. I would not hesitate to do it again knowing what I know now. Just hold on real tight to the shaft and then go to town on the **** and eventually it will break loose.

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Get a rubber hose for like coolant from autozone. You will need a very small piece just to protect the shaft. You will need a crescent wrench that you will use on the shifter or a strap wrench. Then make sure to lift up on shifter assembly and get underneath. Wrap the coolant hose around the shaft and then use a vise grip and adjust it to correct size and clamp it down. Now hold that perfectly still and do not let it tweak or torque. THen use a strap wrench or crescent wrench with rag to grip the shift ****. While holding the shaft still use the strap wrench or crescent wrench and twist that while holding the other wrench perfectly still. Don't try extremely hard the first time since it has loctite. It might take 3-4 hard torque twists to break the loctite loose.

MY OLD POST

Be careful when you just try to unscrew. There is a proper method to break the loctite loose that is applied from factory. The transmission is direct linkage and the pivotball is a weak point in the transmission. When you try to unscrew and apply torque the shifter starts to tweak and flex. The proper method is using a crescent wrench / strap wrench on the shift **** and get underneath the shift boot cover and use a vise grip pliers to hold the shifter straight so you do not torque it when you try to take the shift **** off.

https://g35driver.com/forums/1837462-post1.html

FSM

http://my350z.com/forum/3115540-post32.html

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (02-07-2013)