G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

SES Light after TB Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation SES Light after TB Cleaning

Hey guys,

I cleaned my TB's yesterday as I have read through some threads without disconnecting any harnesses or the battery terminals. Today while driving to work the Service Engine Soon light came on, I have yet to go by the local auto shop to see if it is throwing out any codes. I did move the TB Plates a little bit to clean around them, I have 98K on my 08 Sedan and I don't think I've ever had them cleaned they were a total mess went through about 2 rags that were black as oil!

The idle seems to be perfectly normal as it was prior to cleaning them and I haven't had any issues with a high idle either. Can anyone think of what it could be? Not sure what do because the car seems to drive like new without any issues.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I would be VERY surprised if there isn't a code available there; I'd get it read ASAP. Also IIRC, as stated in the Owner's Manual, there is a distinction between the urgency of the fault depending on whether or not the light is blinking/flashing. Pleae get the code read and follow up here with the results; it's good to get completion for these kinds of threads.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I will definitely run by Autozone to get the code read once I leave work.

What do you mean by "whether or not the light is blinking/flashing", if I may ask.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by rahulpatel
I will definitely run by Autozone to get the code read once I leave work.

What do you mean by "whether or not the light is blinking/flashing", if I may ask.
Please see page 2-17 in your Owner's manual.

Don't have one? You can download it for free (after registering) here: http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...s.php?catid=56

Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
If I were you, just get a code reader. They definitely come in handy over the life of the car. Not terribly expensive either. Even the cheap ones will get the job done.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
When you cleaned your Throttle Body did you disconnect the negative side of the battery? Not doing so will cause you to have the SES warning. You may need to reset your ECU although you could try the battery disconnect for an hour first....no longer!
Gary

Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I didn't disconnect the negative from the battery when I did the cleaning. From reading people were saying they had idle issues or something else happen when they disconnected the battery. I can get the code read on the way home and then I will do a disconnect this evening and see if there is a difference tomorrow morning. I will post a update with the Code(s) that are thrown out from the read.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I didn't disconnect the negative from the battery when I did the cleaning. From reading people were saying they had idle issues or something else happen when they disconnected the battery. I can get the code read on the way home and then I will do a disconnect this evening and see if there is a difference tomorrow morning. I will post a update with the Code(s) that are thrown out from the read.
Issues like these....^....only happen when you battery is disconnected to long, the ECU forgets why it there. I can always complete whatever I'm doing in about an hour....Gary

Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Alright guys,

I just got home from work and stopped by AutoZone to have them read the codes that came up, here is what it showed:

Code: P0011

Definition:
Intake valve timing (IVT) control performance

Probable cause:
1 - Crankshaft position sensor failure
2 - Camshaft position senor failure

I'm not sure what that means, only thing I can think of is a sensor is bad. Would this happen by cleaning the TB's or would I need to try something else before trying to replace or having the sensors replaced?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i would say reset the car ecu as suggested before and see if the code returns. I had this happen on a friends camry after we cleaned the TB which was very dirty after resetting the ses once the light never came back on.

With that said the 1st gen G and FX (not heard of it being common on 2nd gen G) had a common issue of the camshaft sensors going bad nothing to do with cleaning the TB (even though the code read both crank and camshaft sensor) around 75-100k as iv seen and fixed many times by replacing the passenger side cam sensor behind the engine with AM one for around $60 but try the reset first and if the light comes back on then let us know

Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Would it be a easier method by just unplugging the negative battery cable for a 'X' amount of time and then hooking it back up, driving around and then to see if the code or SES light returns or a different method?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Alright guys,

I just got home from work and stopped by AutoZone to have them read the codes that came up, here is what it showed:

Code: P0011

Definition:
Intake valve timing (IVT) control performance

Probable cause:
1 - Crankshaft position sensor failure
2 - Camshaft position senor failure

I'm not sure what that means, only thing I can think of is a sensor is bad. Would this happen by cleaning the TB's or would I need to try something else before trying to replace or having the sensors replaced?
I think your list of probable causes is far too abreviated

Look at this one: http://engine-codes.com/p0011_infiniti.html

. . . and you'll see that there are a whole lot of potential contributors besides the cam and/or crank sensors. . . could even be low or dirty oil, a nearby wire connection that got compromised when you were cleaning the TB, a bad VVT control solenoid, etc. etc.

Like kool said, go ahead and reset the ecu and keep an eye on it. If you pull the neg batt cable it will work fine, but you also would lose stored memory functions (radio presets, etc.), so some people prefer to use the pedal method for the ecu reset. Please don't ask for the details on how to do that, as I don't make a point of remembering them since they are so easily searched (by you too) whenever they're needed.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM
As per Kool, I did a ECU reset by pulling the negative from the battery.
Wasn't too concerned about losing the memory settings since it takes only a few minutes for me set them back up.
I did a disconnect for approx 30 min and hooked it back up
The light is now turned off and I've driven about 20 miles and haven't had the light come on yet, time will tell, tomorrow I have about a 100 mile drive so I suppose with that we will know if the SES returns. I will keep you all posted.

I want to thank all of you for the help you've all provided.

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This thread pretty much makes the decision for me..not that this is anything even remotely complex to DIY, but for the 120 bucks or so that my dealership charges, minus a $50 coupon I have - including the CONSULT idle relearn - I'm just having them do it.

(I'm having the occasional idle drop / near-stall out, and occasional warm-(failure to) start issues.)

I bought the TB cleaner, and was all set to do it, but WAY too many threads about issues post-TB clearning have me totally spooked, especially since I'm still in my infiniti extended warranty period.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Update

Well, I have driven about 200 miles since the last post.

I haven't had the SES light return, So I would think that after the cleaning and a SES light come on that it's best to do a ECU reset like you all had said before. Car runs super smooth and like new.

Thanks guys