Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Good luck w/ your wheel situation.
Here's some pics of those TSW wheels on Gs
https://www.google.com/search?q=TSW+...w=1366&bih=624

https://www.google.com/search?q=TSW+...w=1366&bih=624

Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
You have the S wheels, does that mean you have the summer tires on there as well? If so, 23k is pretty good.

As have been said, this minor change in offsets will not affect tire wear that much at all.

0.3 toe will, not only to that corner, but to how the whole car behaves. I'm curious how they got the other corners get the same exact #'s even after fixing alignment on that offending corner?

Another thing you can try is going to a different alignment shop. All machines these days are practically equal in terms of capabilities, but not all alignment techs are the same. I've even experienced a perfectly good shop that i frequent once fail to re-tighten the rear toe bolts. Only took a couple of miles to know something was wrong. So, although i drove out with perfectly good sheet #'s, going back in, the rears were completely out of whack.
I initially wondered that too Mike, but after re-reading, I saw he actually only said:

"...didn't change the front numbers to any degree since they were still within spec."
and
"...the other 3 tire readings were just about the same as the before reading."

So apparently, they were'nt exactly the same.

Originally Posted by Rinaldi
The tire are not summer tires, they are Yokohama YK580 which are 65,000 mile tread wear if rotated. The Infiniti dealer performed the 4 wheel alignment so I hope it was done correctly. I could have saved $50 and had it done elsewhere but wanted it done right.

Part of my position is I have to get 2 fronts ASAP. I can drop $450 on 2 new ones and hope the alignment did fix the bulk of the problem, but Discount Tire is giving me a $250 credit on the tires, discounting the wheel package another $100 and hopefully I can sell my OEM wheels for around $800. So if the alignment isn't causing the problem I got out of my current setup somewhat inexpensive. I don't want new wheels but don't want this to happen again either. Again even the dealer is telling me that is my problem. And if I didn't mention my rears are wearing heavily in the middle of the tread. I will try to stop by the dealership again today and go over the before and after spec sheet and get a better understanding.
Can you confirm that your current wheels (NOT TIRES) are indeed staggered sizes? You mention rotating them, which isn't really possible without removing the bolt which prevents rears on the front (was that done?), otherwise, any rotation would just be side-to-side which is far less effective for treadlife. (This also brings up a question about whether it was actually the fact that those rims were staggered sizes that the tireshop and dealer were commenting about, and NOT the offsets! Perhaps there was some miscommunication there? ) Also, if you are running a staggered set of wheels, what size tires did you have on them? Were they the same size on all four corners, or did you also run appropriately sized tires for the front and rears? If you did run the same size tires on the staggered rims, then you could also exect less than optimal performance out of them, given that they would most likely either have one end or the other either pinched or stretched slightly. Lastly, that price quote for the pair of yoko tires seems very high. It might pay for you do do some shopping on them, as it looks like Discount Tire is doing their usual high markup with a 'seemingly' healthy discount to appear like a bargain; selling the wheels to you also is undoubtedly going to make them some serious money too. (maybe this speaks to why they're "misinforming" you about bad offsets and such.)

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
It might pay for you do do some shopping on them, as it looks like Discount Tire is doing their usual high markup with a 'seemingly' healthy discount to appear like a bargain; selling the wheels to you also is undoubtedly going to make them some serious money too. (maybe this speaks to why they're "misinforming" you about bad offsets and such.)
^^So True^^, Discount Tire is usually far from a discount. They have tremendous markup on all their mounting services, road hazard, etc. Their tire & wheel deals are rarely on par w/ other online vendors, especially if you have them mounted and shipped to you. At the Discount tire shop 2x I specifically told them to hand torque the wheels off & on, both times I had to practically yell at the manager as the kid in the service area attacked my wheels w/ the air hammer. Never again!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I just got back from the dealer and they said the staggered setup which causes the inability to rotate is essentially the cause and the alignment was not a huge contributor. They said (and this was 2 different techs) on all the G's they see with a setup like this whether an X model or not only get 20-30k on a set of front tires. My front tires are 225/50/18 and rear 245/45/18. So according to them I got all I would get out of my tires and this is normal. They said the fronts always wear out on the inside edge due to the Infiniti setup from the factory. So I will have to make a decision on whether to buy new fronts every 8 months or so, or go with a different wheel setup and get double life out of the tires. And I will check out other tire shops but haven't seen any local shop or TireRack come in any cheaper on the tires. I do agree their fees suck, but if it comes out to $20 more a tire to me its not worth ordering online.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Well I just got back from the dealer and they said the staggered setup which causes the inability to rotate is essentially the cause and the alignment was not a huge contributor. They said (and this was 2 different techs) on all the G's they see with a setup like this whether an X model or not only get 20-30k on a set of front tires. My front tires are 225/50/18 and rear 245/45/18. So according to them I got all I would get out of my tires and this is normal. They said the fronts always wear out on the inside edge due to the Infiniti setup from the factory. So I will have to make a decision on whether to buy new fronts every 8 months or so, or go with a different wheel setup and get double life out of the tires. And I will check out other tire shops but haven't seen any local shop or TireRack come in any cheaper on the tires. I do agree their fees suck, but if it comes out to $20 more a tire to me its not worth ordering online.
Yep, as it's been said here, a non-rotated set of staggered tires will always yield lower treadlife than a regularly rotated set, so your 23K is actually not too bad considering. I'm glad the dealer didn't reitierate that it was the offset which caused the treadwear problems, but IDK how they could make the assertion that the alignment had nil to do with it; maybe you could have gotten 28K instead!

Anyway, going forward, it looks like you need to get new front tires regardless, so here's a couple ideas. You could:

A) Put a new pair of tires on the fronts while in the meantime you buy a used set of Sport rims, have them powder coated to match the Graphite ones you have now, split the sets up and make two matched sets of 4 equal sized rims so you can rotate them and realize better mileage. Then sell the other complete (rotate-able) set to recoup some costs.

B) Support Discount Tires' attempts to scare/misinform you about wheel offsets so they could sell you another set of tires AND wheels.

Last edited by vqsmile; 05-30-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: wrong vendor noted
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM

b) support discount tires' attempts to scare/misinform you about wheel offsets so they could sell you another set of tires and wheels.
fyp

The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
^^ oops

Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, as it's been said here, a non-rotated set of staggered tires will always yield lower treadlife than a regularly rotated set, so your 23K is actually not too bad considering. I'm glad the dealer didn't reitierate that it was the offset which caused the treadwear problems, but IDK how they could make the assertion that the alignment had nil to do with it; maybe you could have gotten 28K instead!

Anyway, going forward, it looks like you need to get new front tires regardless, so here's a couple ideas. You could:

A) Put a new pair of tires on the fronts while in the meantime you buy a used set of Sport rims, have them powder coated to match the Graphite ones you have now, split the sets up and make two matched sets of 4 equal sized rims so you can rotate them and realize better mileage. Then sell the other complete (rotate-able) set to recoup some costs.

B) Support Discount Tires' attempts to scare/misinform you about wheel offsets so they could sell you another set of tires AND wheels.
I like the idea of buying just two rims, but do you know if the rear 8.5 rim will fit on the fronts without issues? It comes out a little cheaper. The S rims run about $275/each on Ebay (avg), $200 powder coat for both, another rough $400 for 2 tires mounted brings me to $1150 as opposed to $1850 for all new rims/tires. Either way I would have a full set of rims to sell. So I come out about $300 ahead by matching what I have since the $1850 includes 2 new rear as well.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
I like the idea of buying just two rims, but do you know if the rear 8.5 rim will fit on the fronts without issues? It comes out a little cheaper. The S rims run about $275/each on Ebay (avg), $200 powder coat for both, another rough $400 for 2 tires mounted brings me to $1150 as opposed to $1850 for all new rims/tires. Either way I would have a full set of rims to sell. So I come out about $300 ahead by matching what I have since the $1850 includes 2 new rear as well.
I could tell you they will fit, but the very best way for you to know for sure before you buy anything is to simply swap ends (rotate R->F) with the wheels you have right now. Obviously, this is just for testing clearance issues, and not to be driven that way for any length of time since the staggered handling bias will be thrown off, making the car tend toward more oversteer. Before the rears can be mounted on the front hubs, you must remove a bolt that is installed on top of the hub surface to prevent the owner accidentally doing exactly that. It's quite simple to do and only takes a minute or two with the right size wrench. ANyway, my point is that you can verify fitment 100% before you buy!

Next, those prices you quoted for Sport rims are ridiculous (are you TRYING to throw your money away? ). If you look around, you can readily find them for far less (about 1/2 that much) as a whole set. The classifieds here ( https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=14627517 ) are a good place to start, but craigslist is also good for local (no shipping) connections. One thing to consider, since you will be having the wheels refinished, is you don't necessarily need to buy a perfect and unblemished set; they can be cleaned up before powdering, which can save you even more. Look back at completed/sold ads in the classifieds and you'll see them go for as little as $400 !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.