G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Front wheels squeaking/screeching during turns. Need insight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Front wheels squeaking/screeching during turns. Need insight

Hello. I've been hearing a squeaking sound coming the front part of the car when I drive for the past few months and it had been getting louder. It sounds like its coming from the wheel area. When the car is in a straight motion the screeching is subtle and you can't really hear it. I'll hear it consistently but very subtle as I cruise during low speeds. Is something deformed that's causing contact as the wheels/rotor rotate?
During turns the screeching is loud/constant and itll stop after I exit the turn into a straight. Whether I'm turning left or right theres screeching from both sides of the front wheel area.
Would this be a faulty ball joint or some other suspension issue?
Any insight is appreciated thanks guys.
Edit: There isn't any noticeable vibrations

Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
COuld be a number of things. FIrst off, is there any chance it is just the low brake pad indicator/scraper that you hear? Another common issue is a pebble or something lodged between the rotor shroud and the rotor. I can't hear the sound from here, so there's no way to judge whether it's more like a bearing noise or drivetrain related noise (you do have an X, so there quite a bit more up front to make noises). If you have the means, you could suspend the car on four jackstands and (but only if you know what all needs to be considered to do this safely!!!) start it up and put it in gear on the stands (running gently at lower speeds). It could allow you to quickly isolate the noise source.

The following users liked this post:
Feeelax (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM
^ I don't think its the brake pad indicator, I've tried turning without braking and it'll still make the sound from both sides. Unless the indicators screech even without pressure on the brakes, can you confirm this? but I doubt both pads went bad at exactly the same time b/c the sounds is from both sides.

Maybe this can help indicate something.
After I shut the car off after a drive, I could hear some soft crackling noises from the wheel area. I think this is normal but its kinda throwing me off a bit.
I was hoping maybe its the sway bar so I could use this as an excuse to get a better one =D

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Could be the wheel bearings?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Feeelax

After I shut the car off after a drive, I could hear some soft crackling noises from the wheel area. ...
This has me wondering if the front calipers are dragging a bit. DO they seem excessively hot after normal driving (ie. without heavy or prolonged braking events) ??

It does seem odd that both sides (of brakes, bearings, anything??) would simulaneously start making a noise, unless the noise is really the same noise emanating in such a way that you hear it as coming from both sides equally. I have had the pad indicators go off on both sides of the car within a short period of time from one another, but not exactly simultaneously.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
This has me wondering if the front calipers are dragging a bit. DO they seem excessively hot after normal driving (ie. without heavy or prolonged braking events) ??

It does seem odd that both sides (of brakes, bearings, anything??) would simulaneously start making a noise, unless the noise is really the same noise emanating in such a way that you hear it as coming from both sides equally. I have had the pad indicators go off on both sides of the car within a short period of time from one another, but not exactly simultaneously.
Could you please clarify what you mean by the calipers dragging? You may be right that the pads went bad at approximately the same time since they were changed at the same time...
But problem is they creek when brakes aren't applied and the noise goes away when brakes ARE applied. yesterday morning I heard a "whoop whoop whoop" sound instead of creeking noises but it went away and the creeking noises followed. It may be getting worse. Is there a standard way to check if my bearings are bad before I drop it off at the mechanic for a check?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 12:53 AM
My reference to the calipers was that, since you are near the end of the life of the pads, the lube on the glide pins may have dried up a bit by then, causing the caliper to lose freedom of movement and thereby drag on one side of the rotor a bit instead of relaxing and centering up on the rotor again. (remember the piston only pushes from one side, so the suspended caliper has to shift freely in the sideways direction every time) This could/would cause a noise as the pad drags the rotor somewhat, even when not applied, and it would tend to create a lot more heat from constant friction of pad contact, and also making the pad/rotor tend to tick and crackle a bit as the metal cools after you've stopped.

Depending on how bad a wheel bearing is, it can be fairly easy to fairly difficult to detect, especially if there is no weight on the wheel at the time AND you can't spin it freely due to being on a drive axle (as in your case). There are old school methods of shaking the suspended wheel at a 12:00 and 6:00 position to test for free play, but honestly, the bearing has to be pretty bad to show up that way, and 'passing' that test still doesn't mean it's not bad once it's rotating and under a 500kg+ load.

The following users liked this post:
Feeelax (06-29-2013)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:05 PM
C P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x
Originally Posted by Feeelax
Hello. I've been hearing a squeaking sound coming the front part of the car when I drive for the past few months and it had been getting louder. It sounds like its coming from the wheel area. When the car is in a straight motion the screeching is subtle and you can't really hear it. I'll hear it consistently but very subtle as I cruise during low speeds. Is something deformed that's causing contact as the wheels/rotor rotate?
During turns the screeching is loud/constant and itll stop after I exit the turn into a straight. Whether I'm turning left or right theres screeching from both sides of the front wheel area.
Would this be a faulty ball joint or some other suspension issue?
Any insight is appreciated thanks guys.
Edit: There isn't any noticeable vibrations
Hi ...were you able to find the problem and solution? Sorry...it been long time but if you can provide info,it would be great.I have same noise in my 2007 G35x

Old 05-11-2021, 10:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Brake pads or wheel bearings, get the vehicle up in the air and inspect both.