G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Should I get a tune up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get a tune up?

Hey guys, I have a 07 g35s sedan (auto), which i am always on top of maintenance, with stillen gen. 3 long tube intakes at the moment. I just ordered a plenum spacer, and a new mrev2 manifold both from motordynsports.com and was wondering if I should get a tune up to compensate (if that's the right word) for the extra hp. Right now when I have the car in auto, it shutters from 2 to 3, (driving normal) it feels like it doesn't mean to switch gears so early. So my question is should I have gotten the tune up earlier and should I definitely get one after the upgrades. I live in Oceanside, CA could anyone recommend where I can get a decent deal on a tune up?
Thanks in advance

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
An Uprev tune will help a lot, you can either drive somewhere and spend a bunch of money to milk the last few possible hp out of it on a dyno or do it over email with datalogs then reflash the ecu yourself...

Costs $500 for the DIY version where you get the cable and get tuned via datalogs, anywhere from $600-800 for the dyno version with no cable

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions

Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal_Scott

I have a 07 g35s sedan...

I just ordered a plenum spacer, and a new mrev2 manifold both from motordynsports.com ...
Doesn't anyone else see a problem here?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Doesn't anyone else see a problem here?
Whats the problem? Sorry if I did something wrong only started to work on this car the past 2 months and new to pretty much everything

Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Whats the problem? Sorry if I did something wrong only started to work on this car the past 2 months and new to pretty much everything
Well, I'm sorry to have to break the news to you, but those parts aren't for your engine. They are for the DE motor, not the HR version that we have in our second gen vehicles.

Again, sorry you didn't catch it before, but hopefully you can return the parts.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Well, I'm sorry to have to break the news to you, but those parts aren't for your engine. They are for the DE motor, not the HR version that we have in our second gen vehicles.

Again, sorry you didn't catch it before, but hopefully you can return the parts.
Oh really. Thanks for telling me now haha and good thing is is that they were still in processing so they didn't charge my card. Thanks again. Do you know if they make those parts for the HR and do you know anything else I can do to my car to make it "faster." thanks

Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh really. Thanks for telling me now haha and good thing is is that they were still in processing so they didn't charge my card. Thanks again. Do you know if they make those parts for the HR and do you know anything else I can do to my car to make it "faster." thanks
I think you'd do well to put in your due diligence of research here BEFORE you go spending any more money. Read up as much as you can; this has ALL been covered many, many times here. These engines have pretty much had all the 'easy' hp already extracted, right from the factory, so don't expect anything major short of going with some form of FI. Whatever remains is relatively modest at best, and not at all inexpensive when considered on a hp-per-dollar basis. Still, there are lots here who enjoy getting every last little bit they can, regardless of expense, so their experiences can readily be found with a bit of searching.

Personally, I think spending whatever $$ you have on some high-performance driving instruction instead will make you "faster" than picking up a few ponies here and there.

Last edited by vqsmile; 08-23-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Yeah you need to cancel that asap. Exhaust mods will free up some power, but since you live in Cali you might not want to mess with the cats. Any decent cat-back exhaust will set you back around $1000... I'd say new spark plugs and tune it if you don't want to mess with exhaust. You can also look into a transgo valvebody upgrade to improve the shifting, but that really needs to be installed professionally and will set you back around $750