G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AWD vs RWD 07-08 G35 Sedan..Need Feedback/Experiences from owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do hope you are right!!!!! The countdown is on!!! I promise Ive looked at every website for dealerships that I can find online... Cars.com Craigslist Autotrader. I told the dealership if they find any 07-08s for under that 19,999 price they had to call me.... There was a blue slate one, black leather, 54k miles but it was 1- the same price as the 09 and 2 it had no sunroof ( which I wont settle for )

Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
If you do not need AWD, do not get AWD. I live in a place where AWD is 'preferred' and got an AWD after 2 RWD G sedans and have regretted the decision every day since signing the paper.

I miss my RWD Sport package... that car felt so alive compared to this barge.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I miss my RWD Sport package... that car felt so alive compared to this barge.
Do a search on G35X rear sway bar and read the threads. You want to replace that rear sway with a RWD sway. It will get rid of the understeer and reduce rear end hop on bumps in corners. Considerable difference in rear sway diameter (i.e. stiffness) between the two.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My 05 X does not handle like a barge? Its glued to the road! And is very quick!! I cant wait to head home in a couple weeks to Tenn the Dragon is calling me! Or to get on 81 and roll across Va!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Do a search on G35X rear sway bar and read the threads. You want to replace that rear sway with a RWD sway. It will get rid of the understeer and reduce rear end hop on bumps in corners. Considerable difference in rear sway diameter (i.e. stiffness) between the two.
Infiniti should have just done that from factory. There is no excuse to make this car handle so much worse than the RWD versions especially when they tune it to 'feel' so sporty. Then you push it and every corner of the car is bobbing and weaving like a boat in a storm. I don't get it.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

Then you push it and ...
My guess is THAT is what Infiniti does not expect the average X owner to do though. Their bean counters probably evaluated the demographics carefully and found it to be atypical and/or unpopular with their target market.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I push my x and it answers the call.I dont get any bobbing and weaving.it feels as good as my audi a6 quattro! The X will walk away from a6 in a straight line.In twists and turns they are equal.Wannabe what yr is your x?mine is a 05 with 84,660 on the clock.She performs quite well when pushed!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
^^ it's listed right there in his sig

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Your right

Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 AM
-MN G Crew-

Here is my complaint. People complain saying that the sport package rides too firm so they get non sport. Okay, well, this '13 feels just as 'sporty' around town (in fact, I think it rides worse...) but when you push it into a corner, it responds nothing like the 2WD versions. The steering at high speeds doesn't respond quickly, it responds loose, and the front end just doesn't feel settled or planted when your nearing the adhesion of grip. It just starts to push and plow and the struts do not provide enough dampening to compensate for the changes in pavement undulation.

The car TO ME, is not fun to drive at all. The AWD system makes the car feel heavy, numb, and delayed. I let me foot off on the freeway and the car just feels like theres a boat behind it with the amount of drag that the powertrain provides. You guys wonder why these things get such **** gas mileage, it is because they don't roll worth a damn down the road.

The 7AT is a high strung, jerky turd. I drive my friends 03 G35 sedan 5AT regularly and that transmission is like a breath of fresh air in town. It is smooth, doesn't wind up the engine so high and is just more enjoyable. It isn't as fast as it shifts, but it is just a lot smoother.

I dont know. I am just extremely underwhelmed with my decision. It is a 2 year lease and trust me I am counting down the days. I want a 6MT again, and i wan't a car that puts a smile back on my face when I drive it. This car is no better to me than a Nissan Altima is. Except the Altima is nearly as fast but gets about 10mpg more... If my G were a RWD sport package 6MT optioned and set up just the way it is now (white on black with the Nav) I would absolutley love the car and keep it for ever. It is just this lousy excuse for a sport package and a horrid transmission.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I guess Infiniti toned the newer models down some in performance. And more luxury than performance! My G is 8 yrs old.Only 2 nd year of production.They seem more geared more for performance.They wanted to get a hold on the performance sedan crowd. Which they did! A mt will have a more performance feel than at.Have you heard of the Dragon in Tenn-NC? Its a 11 mile trip thru the mtns with over 100 curves and twists.It is very much fun to drive! Ive driven it in my a6 quattro its a blast! It tests the car and driver! Alot of people have pushed their cars and cycles to the point and paid for it with their lives!Im going home the 9th oct and will drive it in my G35X. As for mpg I get 20 -21 around town. The 13 models have a 3.7 I believe that could be the reason for poor mpg. The op is more concered with 07-08 models. Mine is a few yrs older 05 She is fun to drive! I will see how she handles the DRAGON!

Last edited by Gman56; 09-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Novice owner here but I'll chime in anyway! I just picked up a 2008 g35x, but AWD makes sense living in MN, gives me some peace of mind. I never drove the RWD only car, but for what its worth I'm impressed with the handling so far. I started looking at a bunch of different cars last week and the G was barely on my radar, but after trying this one out I couldn't get it out of my head and ended up going back to the dealer on Monday to finalize the deal.

My commute is mostly highway, but I haven't held back on my accelerations (would characterize my driving as 80/20 hwy/city). Just about upto 100 miles on the car, started a fresh tank of gas and am getting 22.5 according to the trip computer (will be keeping properly calculated mpg on fuelly.com as well). That is sufficient for me and I think it would be hard to get under 20 unless you're gunning it and drive really fast all the time - of course I could be wrong, time will tell.

As far as reliability, I think you could go to an Infiniti dealer and ask for service records - mine were quite extensive (though I bought it from the dealer, not sure how hard it would be to get that if you're buying elsewhere), and they happened to have just replaced all major fluids and the battery and tires were at 9mm tread depth so I was pretty happy with the deal I got overall. From what I could find there don't seem to be any particular issues with the AWD system itself aside from normal wear and maintenance. It seems to me the AWD MPG hit for the g35 is relatively small. If you've found a good deal I don't see why you would steer away from the car myself just for having AWD.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Here is my complaint. People complain saying that the sport package rides too firm so they get non sport. Okay, well, this '13 feels just as 'sporty' around town (in fact, I think it rides worse...) but when you push it into a corner, it responds nothing like the 2WD versions. The steering at high speeds doesn't respond quickly, it responds loose, and the front end just doesn't feel settled or planted when your nearing the adhesion of grip. It just starts to push and plow and the struts do not provide enough dampening to compensate for the changes in pavement undulation.

The car TO ME, is not fun to drive at all. The AWD system makes the car feel heavy, numb, and delayed. I let me foot off on the freeway and the car just feels like theres a boat behind it with the amount of drag that the powertrain provides. You guys wonder why these things get such **** gas mileage, it is because they don't roll worth a damn down the road.

The 7AT is a high strung, jerky turd. I drive my friends 03 G35 sedan 5AT regularly and that transmission is like a breath of fresh air in town. It is smooth, doesn't wind up the engine so high and is just more enjoyable. It isn't as fast as it shifts, but it is just a lot smoother.

I dont know. I am just extremely underwhelmed with my decision. It is a 2 year lease and trust me I am counting down the days. I want a 6MT again, and i wan't a car that puts a smile back on my face when I drive it. This car is no better to me than a Nissan Altima is. Except the Altima is nearly as fast but gets about 10mpg more... If my G were a RWD sport package 6MT optioned and set up just the way it is now (white on black with the Nav) I would absolutley love the car and keep it for ever. It is just this lousy excuse for a sport package and a horrid transmission.
Should've just kept your 05.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
P.S. Amanda misses you.........

Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
P.S. Amanda misses you.........
Person or car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD vs RWD 07-08 G35 Sedan..Need Feedback/Experiences from owners