G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tein Suspension - reviews,suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein Suspension - reviews,suggestions

Hey yall, im going to do a full tein setup and wanted to see if anyone has this type of setup yet, and what yall opinions are:

TEIN Dampers - Super Street (with Upper Pillow Ball Mounts) (DSP92-2UAS4) - $1300 SHIPPED

TEIN EDFC Active (EDK04-P8021) - $400 SHIPPED

TEIN EDFC Active (EDK05-12120) - $170 SHIPPED

TEIN EDFC Active (EDK07-P8022) - $75 SHIPPED

$1945 DELIVERED!

this is the pricing I got

thanks yall

Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Can't go wrong with TEIN anything..quality stuff

Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by JaE35
Can't go wrong with TEIN anything..quality stuff
thats what Im saying!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've heard Tein suspension is a bad ride. I've been reading on forums to avoid Tein whether it be coilovers or springs . I have a friend who is on tein coilovers and hates it.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
^ define "bad". Tein makes quality suspensions at many different price points. The experience will be determined by the specific application and intended use (and setting proper expectations!). On mountain roads or the track, I have loved my Tein monoflex. They use very stiff springs so they will be harsh on poorly maintained roads but the valving is excellent. They certainly do not give you a floaty, soft Lexus ride. They make you feel you are in a sports car! That said, I am just using my car for city commuting now, so I have moved to an undersprung setup (Bilstein PSS10). It really does not feel that different from stock :/ but it is better for city driving for an old timer.

OP, I think you will like the Super Street set up. If you want to step up to the Monoflex (stiffer springs), mine is also EDFC compatible (but I don't have it), and is up for sale at a great price:

http://my350z.com/forum/suspension/5...reat-deal.html

Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
I think there is kind of bad understanding in the car enthusiast world as to how suspension works.

Basically, answer me: why is siff suspension "better" for handling/track. If stiff suspension is better for track use why do track cars have suspension at all? Just stick rigid poles for ultimate stiffness.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
I think there is kind of bad understanding in the car enthusiast world as to how suspension works.

Basically, answer me: why is siff suspension "better" for handling/track. If stiff suspension is better for track use why do track cars have suspension at all? Just stick rigid poles for ultimate stiffness.
If there wasn't any sort of suspension travel, the car wouldn't handle. The suspension is there to absorb the slightest imperfections in the road. During a turn, the suspension will smoothly compress and allow for a smooth turn VS an almost instant slide. Under braking it helps the front tires grab traction and during acceleration, it helps transfer the weight to the rear. These are just basics. There is plenty of information regarding how suspensions work. Google isn't just for ****.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pepper
If there wasn't any sort of suspension travel, the car wouldn't handle. The suspension is there to absorb the slightest imperfections in the road. During a turn, the suspension will smoothly compress and allow for a smooth turn VS an almost instant slide. Under braking it helps the front tires grab traction and during acceleration, it helps transfer the weight to the rear. These are just basics. There is plenty of information regarding how suspensions work. Google isn't just for ****.
Right. But wouldnt softer suspension be best then? To soften out the bumps? Basically, what are the real plusses and minuses to stiffer springs, and similarly to "stiffer" shocks? So what would the benefit of super damped and sprung teins be?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I think the whole point of the suspension is to "keep as much contact patch on the ground as possible so you can control the vehicle"

I don't think "stiffer is better", and too soft of a suspension would bottom out and destroy your chassis.

There is no silver bullet for all driving condition, you can try to get a good "comprise" if you want a "one size fits all" solution. And I think the stock sports suspension does a pretty good job at that. I do wished its just a little bit stiffer and maybe 5mm lower. But I guess that's good enough for me for now.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why 3 different edfc kits? Just curious..

Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
I added the top front (over engine), bottom front and back stiffining bars and it tightened up considerablly. I drive hard on very tight corner road comming home from work and noticed right away. Total package was around $500. Easy to install! My 2 cents.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Right. But wouldnt softer suspension be best then? To soften out the bumps? Basically, what are the real plusses and minuses to stiffer springs, and similarly to "stiffer" shocks? So what would the benefit of super damped and sprung teins be?
softer suspensions dive and roll too much and if you are too low as stated above you would bottom out and destroy the car. If you aren't too low then you will bottom out the suspension in the outside and instantly lose grip which I shouldn't have to tell you is bad for handling. Of course being too stiff is like you are already bottomed out and have no grip. The key is to find the balance between the two. that is what the benefit of the Teins would be they are as stiff as you would want to go on a street car, and are pretty close to ideal.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Why is pitch and roll bad? Why not soft springs with long progressive bump stops for roll situations?

Are the teins the correct stiffness? What is the metric? What determines a good spring rate?

Also, why would you want adjustable dampening? What are you adjusting it to? Is stiffer really better for track?

Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Why is pitch and roll bad?
because as I said they will bottom out the suspension, causing the car to be riding on the bumpstops. this creates the situations that you describe where you essentially have no suspension, and its like there is a rod supporting the car. This causes the car to lose grip. Even if the suspension doesn't bottom out, the body motion is still throwing of weight distributions which can negatively impact the way the car behaves through the turn. I don't know if you've ever tried to attack a corner in a car that has excessive pitch and roll, but its not a very good feeling.

Why not soft springs with long progressive bump stops for roll situations?
This is a way to go, but it still won't give you the handling and control characteristics of a quality spring/shock or coilover combination, even if the car doesn't bottom out you still have the body motion which as stated earlier will affect the cars handling.

Are the teins the correct stiffness? What is the metric? What determines a good spring rate?
Like anything it all depends on the application. The Teins are an excellent choice for a street/track car, but the surface of the track and the quality of the tires are also factors that can affect the cars handling. plenty of dedicated track cars run spring rates as high as 18 kg/mm, but also run R compound tires on buttery smooth race tracks. on the street, autocross, and even some rougher tracks this could be too stiff and cause the car to bounce going over bumps and such, losing contact with the surface. And as you might imagine its hard to steer a car when you are barely touching the road.

Also, why would you want adjustable dampening? What are you adjusting it to? Is stiffer really better for track?
You generally want adjustable dampening because as stated earlier you want the dampening and spring rates to be matched to the track surface and tires being used it also works well to keep the ride comfortable on the street because you can put it to full soft.

I read an article somewhere about the evils of body motion if I can find it again I'll post it up.