G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2008 g35 sedan blown engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbleHead
Agreed. But if the website becomes third or fourth result on a simple google search of a dealership, there is a great benefit to that dealership to have it removed. Never said it is fool proof (fool proof, not full proof), or guaranteed to save you $15k. I just personally am not so rich that $15k is something I laugh it. That's a big amount of money to spend on my car. At least big enough that I'll invest $10-15 into building a website for 2 hours in the hopes that it might help. Even just to be counted for a partial credit, or something. It's such a small investment of time and effort that I personally would think it's foolish not to try. Not to call you all foolish, just that if you were in that situation and COULD have saved $15k, but didn't because it's not 100% guarantee or because you haven't heard of it before, I dont know... that does seem foolish.

EDIT: Keep in mind, most importantly, this was all just a recommendation to the OP. Not a statement of VQ35HR's in general, or Infiniti, or Nissan, or anybody. Simply "Yes, I had that problem, try this, it worked for me! Good luck!"
I haven't completely read this thread but if you plan on making a site or blog or w/e and assume when someone searches "infiniti" or "g35" and think your site will magically appear on the first page of Google your sadly mistaken .

Try a few thousand pages down.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
IMO: It is unfortunate to hear about a couple examples of VQHR35's detonating but this is far from common and extremely rare.

IMO: I also believe the personal website idea these days will have limited success and is far from full proof. Some companies could care less. I've been on the net since 1991 and know if you search hard enough you can find supporting evidence for anything.

EDIT: Some truth and even more bogus data.
Please stop spreading misinformation with a condescending tone.
There was an issue with some of these engines burning oil and running low with no warning light.
It's not "rare" at all.
In fact, my engine threw a rod as well.
I'd like to tell you I knew what it was, but Infinit would not let me see the torn down motor and would never answer any of my questions.
They even tried to put the burden of proof on my that I properly maintained my car.
Thank GOD that I am religious about taking care of all of my cars.
From my research, I believe there was an issue with piston rings on some of these cars and blown motors are NOT rare.

I am a educated "car guy". Some might say an expert..
I take EXTREMELY good care of all of my car and did all the suggested maintenance early and run premium gas.

After the new motor, I still religiously change the oil at 3k miles and haven't had a problem since. But, just chiming in to dismiss the BS and expose the truth.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed and ANGRY with Infinit for not replacing my car and Infinit will NEVER see me again as a new car buyer.
TERRIBLE customer service.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by BobbleHead
I only read the first page of comments after the OP. I don't think that would affect what I have to say, but I will admit it.
I just bought a 2008 G35x from my Dad. He bought it new with 2 miles on it. Oil was changed every 5,000 miles on full synthetic mobil 1 oil.
The car currently has 200,000 miles and is on the second engine. It is a junkyard replacement because Infiniti wanted $15k.

Basically the same thing happened. Immaculate care for the car, highway miles (he drives about 40k mi a year), all the optional maintenance recommended by the dealer (services even usually done early).

One day it blew up. Threw a rod.

While that one guy might say "oh well I never heard of that and so it must be your fault cuz otherwise I would have heard of it cuz I'm on g35 driver and everything is required to be reported to me on g35driver" I've gotta say, you are not the only one.
Believe it or not, the rod went at 77,500 miles. Just out of warranty (it was 25 months old).

They wouldn't replace it for him. He started a website about their dealership. Their site was wginfiniti.com and he got infinitiwg.com (or vice versa, I forget) and was quickly the third result on google for searching "Willow Grove Infiniti" or "Infiniti Willow Grove"

Are you all ready for some irony:

What are the odds that MY ENGINE THAT THREW A ROD was also purchased NEW from Willow Grove, and Willow Grove maintained my car regularly with MOBILE ONE.
This is the EXACT SAME SCENARIO, SAME DEALERSHIP, SAME BLOWN ENGINE.

What are the odds of that ????

I am in shock reading this right now and have to process this.
But, I have NOT ran MOBIL ONE since the new motor and I will NEVER return to Willow Grove again.
Come to your own conclusion.

I have been running regular oil at 3k mile intervals ever since.

PS
My car is a G35x sedan (auto) and my car has been 100% stock since I bought it new. I even replaced the air filters with OEM filters and not K&N because I intended to use the extended warranty for as long as possible, with zero drama.
I am a middle aged, original owner and I've never turned the VDC off, let along modded, or even beat on this car that serves as my daily driver. I have other weekend toys for fun.

Last edited by TT C6; 05-07-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TT C6
Are you all ready for some irony:

What are the odds that MY ENGINE THAT THREW A ROD was also purchased NEW from Willow Grove, and Willow Grove maintained my car regularly with MOBILE ONE.
This is the EXACT SAME SCENARIO, SAME DEALERSHIP, SAME BLOWN ENGINE.

What are the odds of that ????

I am in shock reading this right now and have to process this.
But, I have NOT ran MOBIL ONE since the new motor and I will NEVER return to Willow Grove again.
Come to your own conclusion.

I have been running regular oil at 3k mile intervals ever since.

PS
My car is a G35x sedan (auto) and my car has been 100% stock since I bought it new. I even replaced the air filters with OEM filters and not K&N because I intended to use the extended warranty for as long as possible, with zero drama.
I am a middle aged, original owner and I've never turned the VDC off, let along modded, or even beat on this car that serves as my daily driver. I have other weekend toys for fun.
Maybe the dealer is fishy? Don't know.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TT C6
Please stop spreading misinformation with a condescending tone.
There was an issue with some of these engines burning oil and running low with no warning light.
It's not "rare" at all.
In fact, my engine threw a rod as well.
I'd like to tell you I knew what it was, but Infinit would not let me see the torn down motor and would never answer any of my questions.
They even tried to put the burden of proof on my that I properly maintained my car.
Thank GOD that I am religious about taking care of all of my cars.
From my research, I believe there was an issue with piston rings on some of these cars and blown motors are NOT rare.

I am a educated "car guy". Some might say an expert..
I take EXTREMELY good care of all of my car and did all the suggested maintenance early and run premium gas.

After the new motor, I still religiously change the oil at 3k miles and haven't had a problem since. But, just chiming in to dismiss the BS and expose the truth.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed and ANGRY with Infinit for not replacing my car and Infinit will NEVER see me again as a new car buyer.
TERRIBLE customer service.
So...you're saying it is NOT rare because it happened to you? Please post your research on here so people can be more informed of the issue. I, for one, would like to know and read up on what you discovered.

I'm talking about percentages here. Even 1% engine failure is considered rare. Out of the population on this site, there are very few reports of blown engines. If this is indeed much more common, wouldn't Infiniti issue a service bulletin on them or at least an extended warranty? In fact, Infiniti is still using these SAME EXACT engines in their hybrid models of the Q50 and Q70. If you do a search on here for engine failure, I see very few threads about the engine spontaneously throwing a rod.

However, that's not to say the issues that are reported on this thread do not contribute to the engine failure. People are reporting that the paper gasket can blow causing low oil pressure.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ous-about.html

If you don't regularly check oil levels and your warning lights maybe that could cause engine failure. There are too many possibilities.

The VQ35HR engine in the 07+ sedans are not notorious for burning oil; that notoriety goes with the older VQ35DE engine.

Also, I'm EXTREMELY confused. I looked through your old posts and threads and it seems that you were deciding on modding your engine. You started these threads.
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-gen...-how-much.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-gen...eaton-ect.html

AND you also recently were trying (and still trying) to sell a heavily modded 2006 Infiniti G35x with a turbocharger installed.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-car...silvr-blk.html

I don't know if I should trust that your engine was never modded or that you never abused it. Was the car completely stock or did you have some mods installed in it? If so, you have less say about VQ35HR engine failure because you were running it out of spec for what it was designed for. Also, having a turbocharger installed in your previous car means that you probably abuse the engine more than the average driver. You claim that the car was 100% stock, but somehow, your previous threads and posts contradict that. You were also looking to buy a cold air intake.
https://g35driver.com/forums/2nd-gen...-07-sedan.html

EDIT:
And finally, you have a thread that you started and you were wishing to speak with an Infiniti Tech for the 07+ sedan in secret and that you'll compensate him/her for his/her trouble. I wonder what that's all about?
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...n-07-g35s.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/2477180-post10.html

Last edited by mathnerd88; 05-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Busted.... LOL

Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea it is common for VQ35HR motors blow that is why everyone here is reporting it ...

<back in reality>

Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM
"You cannot antagonize and influence at the same time.” – John Knox

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
G35x
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
The VQ35HR engine in the 07+ sedans are not notorious for burning oil; that notoriety goes with the older VQ35DE engine.

I agree the VQ35DE certainly deserves that title. I've been lucky with my '02 Maxima I bought new that has negligible oil consumption on annual synthetic oil changes which are at around 9-10K miles with Amsoil.

I have watched numerous forums the last 7 years related to the HR to get an idea of the long term reliability of the engine. The catastrophic incidents reported here are indeed rare. There are oil consumption TSBs for the DE and even the early VVEL 3.7 but not the HR.

I would be pushing it saying I have heard of 6 or 7 incidents. If there is indeed a widespread issue with the HR it is not being reported by owners on the internet.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 AM
con
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My $.02

I have 82k miles bout used at 67k. The original owner to my knowledge ran a lot of highway miles on regular 5k Dino oil changes. I always thought synthetic was always better so of course that's what I used but after putting synthetic in (mobile ep and castrol with syntec) the motor seemed noisy and rattled and just didn't sound like the legendary vq everyone brags to love and rev. My last change the mechanic didn't put the synthetic I brought in and used regular shop oil instead. I was originally dismayed but it seems like the vq sounds healthier now (more of a equal revving motor sound).

Maybe synthetic is too viscous for this engine?

I won't be using synthetic anymore hopefully my engine doesn't blow!

For those of you that have gone through engines on this model did you use synthetic oil?

Last edited by con; 05-08-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM
I think it has to do with what you used in the past, and the particular engine. I have used M1 for 130K and just now does it start to use about a quart between 7.5K changes.

My son has a Jeep CJ he tried Syn oil in it and it drank it like a sailor. He went back to dino oil and it hasn't used any. He has had it for seven years now.

Each engine, even within brands, is different.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Busted.... LOL
Not even close, genius.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
So...you're saying it is NOT rare because it happened to you? Please post your research on here so people can be more informed of the issue. I, for one, would like to know and read up on what you discovered.

I'm talking about percentages here. Even 1% engine failure is considered rare. Out of the population on this site, there are very few reports of blown engines. If this is indeed much more common, wouldn't Infiniti issue a service bulletin on them or at least an extended warranty? In fact, Infiniti is still using these SAME EXACT engines in their hybrid models of the Q50 and Q70. If you do a search on here for engine failure, I see very few threads about the engine spontaneously throwing a rod.

However, that's not to say the issues that are reported on this thread do not contribute to the engine failure. People are reporting that the paper gasket can blow causing low oil pressure.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ous-about.html

If you don't regularly check oil levels and your warning lights maybe that could cause engine failure. There are too many possibilities.

Also, I'm EXTREMELY confused. I looked through your old posts and threads and it seems that you were deciding on modding your engine. You started these threads.
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-gen...-how-much.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-gen...eaton-ect.html

AND you also recently were trying (and still trying) to sell a heavily modded 2006 Infiniti G35x with a turbocharger installed.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-car...silvr-blk.html

I don't know if I should trust that your engine was never modded or that you never abused it. Was the car completely stock or did you have some mods installed in it? If so, you have less say about VQ35HR engine failure because you were running it out of spec for what it was designed for. Also, having a turbocharger installed in your previous car means that you probably abuse the engine more than the average driver. You claim that the car was 100% stock, but somehow, your previous threads and posts contradict that. You were also looking to buy a cold air intake.
https://g35driver.com/forums/2nd-gen...-07-sedan.html

EDIT:
And finally, you have a thread that you started and you were wishing to speak with an Infiniti Tech for the 07+ sedan in secret and that you'll compensate him/her for his/her trouble. I wonder what that's all about?
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...n-07-g35s.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/2477180-post10.html

Cyber stalking me with accusations?
Instead of making an a$$ of yourself by implying things, why don't you ASK me if I have made any mods to my SECOND GENERATION G35x SEDAN that had the engine failure????

I'm gonna break some hearts here, but you'll get the truth you're seeking, and then I'll expect a public apology from you.

Yes, I own multiple FAST, 9 second 1/4 mile capable toys.
I bought my Infinit to be a daily driver to SUPPLEMENT the fast cars I already have because I wanted a 100% STOCK, RELIABLE, ALL WHEEL DRIVE, AUTOMATIC, LUXURY SEDAN.
Even though performance was NOT a concern when I bought it, my G was a little disappointing to drive after getting out of my Corvettes and other toys.
So, I did all the research I could on increasing handling and performance on my G.
The conclusion I came to is this:

It's not worth spending ONE CENT on modifying Infinitis.
In fact, I have NEVER spent ONE CENT on modifying my G35x sedan.
When it came time to replace the air filters, for the first time in 20+ years, I replaced then with OEM air filters.

Yes, I have a thread regarding a FIRST GENERATION G35 REAR WHEEL DRIVE COUPE that was heavily modified BEFORE I got involved.
But, I repeat, I NEVER have, and NEVER WILL, spend a DIME or any of MY TIME on modifying Infinitis and I have never made ONE mod to my SECOND GENERATION G35x SEDAN.

If I had done ONE modification, I am sure that Infiniti wouldn't have paid for, and installed a brand new longblock in my car because they did EVERYTHING to try to weasle out of paying for the repair and the only reason they had to pay was because the car has always been 100% stock and the DEALER did the oil changes and has records on file.
And being a "car guy" I OBVIOUSLY did my research on engine failures for this engine/model after my failure.
It is NOT rare. There is a DESIGN PROBLEM that INFINITI IS AWARE OF, and INFINITI STILL TRIES TO WEASLE OUT OF REPAIRING THE FAILURES.
If you don't believe me, get off your lazy a$$ and do your own research like I did.
I don't care. My new engine is fine, and I will continue to drive this car as my 100% STOCK daily driver because I love the car (other than the MPG), I take good care of it, and I expect it to run reliably for MANY years.

Furthermore, if you want a fast car, buy a FAST CAR.
There is no such thing as a fast Infiniti.
I bought my infiniti sedan to be a daily driver that offered me AWD, reliability, and comfort.
If I want to go fast or modify with reliability, I would have made the only intelligent choice:
AN AMERICAN V8 COUPE.

I'll be waiting for my public apology in this thead.

Last edited by TT C6; 05-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I know on the Subaru board NASIOC, many warn against using Mobile One synthetic. Although blown engines reports are anecdotal, you get a bunch of people using it and having serious problems--it is reason to avoid it.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I know on the Subaru board NASIOC, many warn against using Mobile One synthetic. Although blown engines reports are anecdotal, you get a bunch of people using it and having serious problems--it is reason to avoid it.
If that's the case, that means the INFINITI engines have an issue (piston rings ?) and NOT that Mobil 1 was the issue.
I have run Mobil 1 with great success in all my street cars, race cars, and bikes.
My replacement Infinit engine is the FIRST time I have not run Mobil 1 since it became available.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 g35 sedan blown engine