G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Not impressed with my G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not impressed with my G35 sedan

I used to have a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro sedan. But something went wrong with the engine, none of the mechanics I took it to could give me a straight answer of what the problem was... So, I guess without thinking, I saw a 2008 G35x with 38K miles for $15k in my area. I went ahead and made the purchase.

Now that I've owned it for almost four months, I have to say that I am quite disappointed. Behind the wheel, the car feels very big and inept. Steering...has no feel, it feels artificially weighted. The engine sounds like an early '90's GM 6 cylinder. Power delivery is very sloppy and unrefined, and the car is quite difficult to drive in certain situations. The whole interior shakes and rattles over the smallest of bumps, it seems like everything was put together very poorly. Fit and finish is just plain amateur compared to other car makes like BMW or Lexus.

There are even some technological glitches in the car, like the seat heaters not working and the analog clock lighting flickers on and off while driving at night. I know, I sound like a whiner, but this stuff annoys me. Especially in an expensive luxury car like this. The Audi that I used to have was a much better handling car, I could toss it around corners no problem, and I felt far more confident behind the wheel. I know the Infiniti G has a large following, but I made a mistake in purchasing this car. This is not the "sport sedan" that I was hoping for. I don't know what to do now, I'll never find a good deal on a car like this ever again. What are the odds that I'll find an A4...or a Lexus IS350...or a BMW 3 series with 38K miles for 15 grand. Slim to none.

I came here for help, to see if any other G35 drivers could relate to my experiences and give me advice. What is my best course of action here. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Hmm..no experience with the X but my coupe is much better in the handling dept than the sterile feel of an IS350, and much better in the power dept than a 328i. How did this slip by you on your test drive?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
How did this slip by you on your test drive?
The second I found the listing on craigslist, I was sold. The test drive I took was very short, because as I said, I was already sold on the car and I didn't want to waste any more time. Plus, I had done extensive research on the car, everybody said the G35 was a fun, durable, fast, smooth, refined, high quality car. Man they were dead wrong. Either they were paid off, or they suck @$$ at reviewing cars. I will never own a Nissan/Infiniti product ever again. They are AMATEURS at producing cars. Christ, even Kia makes better cars than Nissan/Infiniti.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by crownchef
The second I found the listing on craigslist, I was sold. The test drive I took was very short, because as I said, I was already sold on the car and I didn't want to waste any more time. Plus, I had done extensive research on the car, everybody said the G35 was a fun, durable, fast, smooth, refined, high quality car. Man they were dead wrong. Either they were paid off, or they suck @$$ at reviewing cars. I will never own a Nissan/Infiniti product ever again. They are AMATEURS at producing cars. Christ, even Kia makes better cars than Nissan/Infiniti.
Well, Ive gotta suggest that maybe it just takes some getting used to, cuz it does better on the tarmac, and has better acceleration numbers by popular car magazines than the other cars you've compared it to. Granted that the interior materials may not be AS good as Lexus or BMW, it sure does excel in other areas. Maybe you just got the wrong car for what you want.

For instance, if you want wood grain and 24 way seats, yeah, maybe the Lexus is better. But if you want a car that pulls 0.91 Gs and ***** on 328s when its time to get in the passing lane, then the G is your car, brah. Maybe next time you spend a little more time in the driver seat and less time on the keyboard. Jus' sayin'..

The following 2 users liked this post by ScraggleRock:
ronnieballgame (08-20-2014), rsingerG35 (08-23-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
The quality of the interior on G35s has always been criticized. But from a driving and performance standpoint, many reviews put the performance of the G above its counterparts such as the IS, TL, A4, etc

Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by crownchef
If you think design quality is bad now, wait till you hit 70K-80K miles and start getting the infamous P0011/P0021 variable valve timing sync failure codes, and realize a lousy $20 oil gallery gasket has failed on rear timing cover, that will cost $1,500 to fix. If you keep it that long, that is. My advice: don't keep it that long!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Than sell it.

I have driven VW and Audi most of my life, so has my father. He has owed everything from Passat TDis too a 750iL, even a 5000 cd wagon. I have owned a few GTis and a GLi. Sure german cars when they are not in the shop or on the side of the road with the hood up are very refined driving machines, I am not going to argue that.

I have been in plenty of rattling and creaking A4s, GTis, 3 series, also lots that have every warning light flashing on the dash. Lets not go over the VW 1.8L power monster, that should have never been put in a Andi. You can say what you want about interiors but the germans have their own issues and the electronics are about as well made as a $2 flashlight from the hardware store. I'd rather my car cruising down the road and deal with a few cheap plastic bits in the cabin, than a great interior for sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

I left Merc out of this as they really are better than Infiniti.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by XR400R
If you think design quality is bad now, wait till you hit 70K-80K miles and start getting the infamous P0011/P0021 variable valve timing sync failure codes, and realize a lousy $20 oil gallery gasket has failed on rear timing cover, that will cost $1,500 to fix. If you keep it that long, that is. My advice: don't keep it that long!
100k here. full boltons, i dont have that issue. dont lump all 35HRs into this category.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not trying to start anything but after 80k (miles?) $1500 bucks isn't a huge deal for cars in this segment. A timing belt change on a Toyota runs about that much.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 AM
I own an 08 G35x as well, no problems whatsoever.

Ever think that it was only 15k for <40k miles because of the problems that you are describing? Buying a car is a huge investment....should have taken more than a few mins for a test drive.

Just my $0.02

Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
did you need the AWD? when I drove an awd G and then a rwd.. the difference was night and day.. i hated the awd..

Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
With the $1500 in mods to my suspension, I would put mine with an M3 any day. Not the power mind you, but handling Oh Yeah!

Hotchkis sways, Tokico d-spec adjustable shocks, 1" lowered, Energy Poly bushings, now it' really fees great!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
did you need the AWD? when I drove an awd G and then a rwd.. the difference was night and day.. i hated the awd..
I do need the AWD, where I live we get a lot of snow and ice. However that is a very interesting point you bring up. I but much of the numb devoid of feel handling that I experience can be traced back to the AWD system.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Well, Ive gotta suggest that maybe it just takes some getting used to, cuz it does better on the tarmac, and has better acceleration numbers by popular car magazines than the other cars you've compared it to. Granted that the interior materials may not be AS good as Lexus or BMW, it sure does excel in other areas. Maybe you just got the wrong car for what you want.

For instance, if you want wood grain and 24 way seats, yeah, maybe the Lexus is better. But if you want a car that pulls 0.91 Gs and ***** on 328s when its time to get in the passing lane, then the G is your car, brah. Maybe next time you spend a little more time in the driver seat and less time on the keyboard. Jus' sayin'..

honestly, I'd rather have a refined, confident handling car, then a car that can accelerate slightly faster at a green light. I mean literally, the only strong suit of the G is the quick acceleration. Everything else, from cornering ability, steering feel, interior materials, and just overall handling and driving experience just sucks to me. I mean, it's a huge @$$ midsize sedan after all. What was I expecting.

My A4 was WORLDS slower than the g35..190 hp compared to 306 hp...yet I still felt more confident behind the wheel. Zipping around was no problem. I could speed around corners and pull out into traffic without feeling like I was about to get killed. The car just cornered, braked, accelerated, and zipped around so smoothly and effortlessly. Man I miss it.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by xWKUJoBo36x
I own an 08 G35x as well, no problems whatsoever.

Ever think that it was only 15k for <40k miles because of the problems that you are describing? Buying a car is a huge investment....should have taken more than a few mins for a test drive.

Just my $0.02
believe me, the car was well taken care of, no scratches or dents whatsoever on exterior OR interior, leather is in good shape, etc. Even the dashboard above the instrument cluster is just STARTING to warp. Everything is in perfect shape mechanically, too. Just these damn cheap materials and sh*tty driving dynamics annoy the **** outta me for such a "high end" car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with my G35 sedan