G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

StopTech Sport kit problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
StopTech Sport kit problems.

So back last fall I installed StopTech Sport slotted rotros and Pads along with SS lines... part # 977.42013. This was on the 07 S.

Install went fine, my Nissan master tech did wrench work as I didn't have the time. The break in went fine, I did it over two different sessions. Brakes worked like a charm... until a few days later I washed them.

I washed the car and drove 5 mins home and parked it in the garage for the weekend. Monday morning I pulled out and holy **** what has happened to my brakes. The judder was out of control. I have had bad old rotors before and even worn pads down to the metal ... this was something else.

I pulled over and to my horror the disks had a huge rust patch blemishes on them where the pad had been all weekend. So I thought ok, maybe its a weird thing with a new install. High carbon, bla bla bla ... I talked myself out of freaking out. I can probably just do some spirited braking and it should go away. Well it took a lot of that to even get the rotors to stop juddering like mad. When I say judder I mean my 5 year old in the back seat asked me what was wrong with the car ... I mean really it was stupid bad.

So a few weeks went by and the condition slowly got better. The blemishes cleaned up and after some more good hard but progressive pressure stops things seemed to be good.

Then I drove home one really wet Friday afternoon and parked in the garage all weekend ... Monday morning ... This **** again?!

Most of the winter I had it come and go. I think the lower temps helped keep it at bay maybe, not sure, my garage isn't heated.

But last week I did a really good wash and even after driving around for 20 mins and then parking ... the rust patches came back.

I have contacted StopTech about this and I will keep you all posted. I have had many sets of Brembo rotors and various brands of pads on my past cars and I have never had to baby them like this.

Anyone else had this problem?
Am I correct in thinking this is going to start diminishing the rotors and the pads if it happens this frequently?
I am hoping replacing the pads will fix the issue. See what ST says.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
I assume you're also running the Stoptech Street pads, if so, these are very prone to leaving pad deposits when the rotors are hot, more so than most street-type pads.
I know you mentioned this was happening when they got wet and were left to dry out on their own so it may not be related, but may have been combined w/ hot rotors
If you do go w/ new pads have a look at the newer Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. They don't make them for all G applications though, just be sure they're the 5.0 version.

The following users liked this post:
abrecos (04-15-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Hawk HPS is another great option for the street. I loved mine. Did your tech grease the sliders? You may have a hung up caliper

The following users liked this post:
abrecos (04-15-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Yea these are the sport pads.

I don't think its heat. I can't think of a time I would have parked at home with brakes hot enough to cook the pads. If it is from heat then well these pads are utter ****. I drive like an old woman in my neighborhood so that is at least 3-5 mins of cool down before it gets parked. Even my daily drive isn't at all tough on brakes.

I have read up on a few other posts about this and seems like even ST have said every so often a batch of pads will do this ... WTF? Send me some better pads please.

The sliders are good. He even took extra care on the rears, as they tend to get sticky easy on these models.

Still no response from ST ...

Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM
So I have sent pictures both StopTech and Tdot Performance where I purchased the kit from.

StopTech is claiming this ...

"If this vehicle is subjected to winter conditions/corrosive road de-icers, etc and spends most of it’s life as a daily driver, then I would recommend a brake pad of a lower temperature range that will be able to maintain a friction transfer layer under the conditions. The street performance pads are a high temp pad that need to be used under performance conditions on a regular basis to operate at temperatures which will keep the transfer layer established, based on your description of rust patches on the rotors, this isn’t happening. Consider the Posiquiet Ceramic pads instead…they’ll likely be more suitable for your conditions."

Well I live in Canada ... so yea its going to be cold and winter-y some days, and I wouldn't have purchased this kit knowing that I would have to drive like the devil is chasing me all the time just for them to function as intended.

Anyway ... buyer beware I guess.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Thought I would just give everyone an update on this.

StopTech. Seems they will give advice but not actually send me a set of different pads. I have to deal with Tdot Performance to get that done.

So in the end Tdot has asked me to strip the entire kit from my car and send it back. ... yea sure boys I'll pay to strip out the entire kit and then wait for replacement parts then pay to have the entire kit reinstalled ... on a car I drive daily. I said forget it. Then they said to buy a new kit and then swap out the old one, then send it back and wait for a refund. Again why do I have to reinstall the whole kit for a pad problem? Such worthless unreasonable customer service IMO.

I mean really. It would be cheaper for me to pay for the new pads myself.

So I am done dealing with StopTech and Tdot Performance. So much back and forth for such an easy solution. Anyway, I won't be giving a dime to either of these guys again.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Finnkc
Thought I would just give everyone an update on this.

StopTech. Seems they will give advice but not actually send me a set of different pads. I have to deal with Tdot Performance to get that done.

So in the end Tdot has asked me to strip the entire kit from my car and send it back. ... yea sure boys I'll pay to strip out the entire kit and then wait for replacement parts then pay to have the entire kit reinstalled ... on a car I drive daily. I said forget it. Then they said to buy a new kit and then swap out the old one, then send it back and wait for a refund. Again why do I have to reinstall the whole kit for a pad problem? Such worthless unreasonable customer service IMO.

I mean really. It would be cheaper for me to pay for the new pads myself.

So I am done dealing with StopTech and Tdot Performance. So much back and forth for such an easy solution. Anyway, I won't be giving a dime to either of these guys again.
Sorry, but I don't see them doing anything wrong there.

If you look at it from their perspective, they may be trying to address ALL potential causes for the problem (and at one time), whereas you are assuming it's just the pads. If the rotors are contributing to it, then after you received their replacement pads, and if the problems continued, you'd be all screaming (even louder now) about how horrible they were, and they'd be out two sets of pads and be no closer to resolving the problem for good.

I don't know what more you can really expect of them, it sounds like they are actually being pretty reasonable for this kind of issue. As far as labor costs and inconvenience goes, that is always born by the buyer, and not just on brakes; it applies to virtually all auto parts, unless you go to the dealership or independent shop where they install their own parts and warrant both parts and labor.

Heck, for all they know, your installer could have messed up your install by getting grease or other contaminants on the braking surfaces, and thus causing the problem. In that case, they should bear no part in offering compensation to you. They are actually (and hugely) giving you the benefit of the doubt there.

Whenever YOU undertake buying your own aftermarket parts for the car, YOU enter into the assumed burden for labor. If you don't like that, then you shouldn't be doing it. A lot of the money that buying aftermarket parts appears to save you (up front) is balanced by the risk you assume for the labor of installing them. It's just the way of the way it goes; sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. This is why virtually all shops mark up their parts costs to you.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:26 PM
The only one assuming anything is you.

You assume this is the first time they have seen this problem before and it isn't. In fact they do know what the problem is and Centric has even told me it is the pads, and I need to change them out. It took them about an hour after I sent them detailed photos and a description of the rotor behavior to get back to me with their diagnosis. This problem has happened to others and I have spend more time then I wanted to reading up on this problem.

My issue with StopTech is what they have on their website vs. what their techs are telling me.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/stoptech-brake-pads

StopTech® Street Brake Pads (prefix 308)

All new performance pad from StopTech

Superior Braking Performance for “Street” Driving

Lab-Tested, OE-Style Design and Features

Rotor-Friendly, Low-Dust for Cleaner Wheels

Dyno-Proven Shims for Quiet Operation

Positive Molded for Consistent Performance

Scorched to Ease Bed-In

Premium Hardware for Precision OE Fitment

Dyno Tested for Max Performance & Service Life

Platform Specific Friction Compounds

Ideal for Daily Driving and Touring

From that I would say its a proper street pad designed for daily street use on a daily driver. The other options are much more geared towards full on performance setups.
Turns out not in my case, and I feel the description for these pads is incomplete given ...

"If this vehicle is subjected to winter conditions/corrosive road de-icers, etc and spends most of it’s life as a daily driver, then I would recommend a brake pad of a lower temperature range that will be able to maintain a friction transfer layer under the conditions. The street performance pads are a high temp pad that need to be used under performance conditions on a regular basis to operate at temperatures which will keep the transfer layer established, based on your description of rust patches on the rotors, this isn’t happening. Consider the Posiquiet Ceramic pads instead…they’ll likely be more suitable for your conditions."

Many Many assumptions being made here my my ... keep the internet fatherly advice to yourself no one here is looking for it. I am posting this as someone might stumble over it and think twice about purchasing these parts given what I have been told above as its not documented very well at all from what I can see.

Also the retailer Tdot Performance is now saying just the pads will do and a full refund will happen.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Well, for whatever it's worth, I have those exact same Sport pads on my car, albeit with Centric blank rotors, and they are performing flawlessly, even though I have been using them for fairly gentle daily driver duty since they were installed.

Sounds like a lot of this must be related to your (significant) winter conditions and your novice choice of the appropriate pads for your conditions then, since any performance pad is going to need a certain amount of heat. Do you not consider your (unique) environment when selecting the appropriate oil viscosity, coolant concentration, or tires, etc.?

I still think it's a disservice to make this out to seem like there are problems with these parts and/or the company that makes them. It is certainly valuable to consider your experience for the benefit of those who may be in similar (unique) environmental conditions, but this isn't an overall "StopTech Sport kit problem" per se, as your thread title would otherwise imply.

Glad to hear you're getting things resolved.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 PM
I am convinced its the salt on the road or maybe now that I think of it an additive at the touch less car wash here? Regardless its not working for me so I need to change it out.

I am looking at the PosiQuiet pads 105 series.

105.12870 for the front

but the rear I am coming up with two possible numbers and I am getting conflicting info from different retailers.

Some say the 105.09051 and some say 105.09050 for the rear.

Can anyone here confirm which one is for the Sport package brakes?

Old 04-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Finnkc
I am convinced its the salt on the road or maybe now that I think of it an additive at the touch less car wash here? Regardless its not working for me so I need to change it out.

I am looking at the PosiQuiet pads 105 series.

105.12870 for the front

but the rear I am coming up with two possible numbers and I am getting conflicting info from different retailers.

Some say the 105.09051 and some say 105.09050 for the rear.

Can anyone here confirm which one is for the Sport package brakes?
Looks like they will both fit, but I'd be inclined to go with the *51, since that's what is listed on RockAuto.

BTW, the rear brakes on the Sport models use the same pads as the base, Journey, and X models.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Ah Ok, if the pads on the rear are the same then that is why I was confused. Yea I'll go with the 51. Thanks.