G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stutter when starting to accelerate, need new spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stutter when starting to accelerate, need new spark plugs?

When I start to accelerate from A stop or even if I'm just coasting along with my foot off the gas and then push on the pedal it always gives a quick little stutter and then it starts to accelerate, just Started happening about a month ago not sure if the previous owner has replaced the plugs and wires so I'm hoping that's the problem. Do you guys think it could be anything else? Even when I'm in park and and slightly hit the gas it'll stutter. Don't think it does it when I jam on the pedal tho. Thanks in advance

Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
It's not the spark plugs. It could be a motor mount, a transmission mount, or even a bad clutch. No way for us to tell without further investigation.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
It's not the spark plugs. It could be a motor mount, a transmission mount, or even a bad clutch. No way for us to tell without further investigation.
it's an automatic g35x. When I hit it and get up to 50 and let off the gas the rpms linger for a few seconds then itndown shifts I'm not sure if that's the torque regulator going bad or if that's just what it does. Figured that was completely irrelevant to the initial sputter

Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by G_35J3FF
it's an automatic g35x. When I hit it and get up to 50 and let off the gas the rpms linger for a few seconds then itndown shifts I'm not sure if that's the torque regulator going bad or if that's just what it does. Figured that was completely irrelevant to the initial sputter
Thats the tranny sensing you are doing some aggressive/sport driving so it keeps the revs up for you for a few seconds.

I'm a new owner myself and have dealt with a few hesistations similar to what you're seeing. I did the easiest thing you can and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and that eliminated my low speed low rpm stutter.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Great!

Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
Thats the tranny sensing you are doing some aggressive/sport driving so it keeps the revs up for you for a few seconds.

I'm a new owner myself and have dealt with a few hesistations similar to what you're seeing. I did the easiest thing you can and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and that eliminated my low speed low rpm stutter.
awesome man thank you so much I will try that tomorrow. Just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes is that correct?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:47 PM
I let it sit for about 45mins or so, then i pumped the brake pedal a few times to discharge any bit of remaining current in the system. My low speed/rpm hesitation went away and never came back

Now im thinking to change out the spark plugs next. Low RPM is fine, but once in awhile if i push it over 6K rpm it feels like it might be breaking up a tad.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This actually sounds like an issue I have had twice with my car. First time I had the dealer reflash the ECU, second time I did the ECU reset that you can do yourself with the gas pedal. Not entirely sure on the reasoning for why this worked, (or why this issue arose) but it did. My issue was the car would stutter/hesitate at 1k RPM every time taking off from a stop. Sounds like yours is similar.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by ckl550
This actually sounds like an issue I have had twice with my car. First time I had the dealer reflash the ECU, second time I did the ECU reset that you can do yourself with the gas pedal. Not entirely sure on the reasoning for why this worked, (or why this issue arose) but it did. My issue was the car would stutter/hesitate at 1k RPM every time taking off from a stop. Sounds like yours is similar.
yup every time I take of from a stop it stutters. So annoying, what is the ecu reset with the gas pedal? How does that work

Old 07-11-2017, 05:10 PM
I let it sit for about 45mins or so, then i pumped the brake pedal a few times to discharge any bit of remaining current in the system. My low speed/rpm hesitation went away and never came back

Now im thinking to change out the spark plugs next. Low RPM is fine, but once in awhile if i push it over 6K rpm it feels like it might be breaking up a tad.
aweosme I'll try that thank you again! I watched a few videos and the plugs look like a bitch to take out. I wanted to change mine but they said it would be a few hour job unlike my scion which took 15 minutes

Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Yes nasty hesitation at 1K rpm. I actually booked an appt to do a reflash with the dealer but they couldn't take me right away so I decided to do a ecu reset by disconnecting the battery in the meantime...totally cured it. Nice when the easiest fix does the trick.

Also reduced another hesitation i was getting when stepping aggressively on the throttle at any rpm, but apparently many are seeing that one, some with many mods and a tune.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Yes nasty hesitation at 1K rpm. I actually booked an appt to do a reflash with the dealer but they couldn't take me right away so I decided to do a ecu reset by disconnecting the battery in the meantime...totally cured it. Nice when the easiest fix does the trick.

Also reduced another hesitation i was getting when stepping aggressively on the throttle at any rpm, but apparently many are seeing that one, some with many mods and a tune.
well thank you very much for your input serge I shall try this tonight when I get off work, I'll let you know how it is after. Does it fix right away or does it take time for the ecu to learn?

Old 07-11-2017, 05:20 PM
aweosme I'll try that thank you again! I watched a few videos and the plugs look like a bitch to take out. I wanted to change mine but they said it would be a few hour job unlike my scion which took 15 minutes
No problem, yeah when I do mine I'll probably get a friend to assist/supervise at least for the first time. Thinking off going with the NGK laser iridium's.

But honestly if your car is running good and your still within the recommended service interval I probably wouldn't do it.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:22 PM
well thank you very much for your input serge I shall try this tonight when I get off work, I'll let you know how it is after. Does it fix right away or does it take time for the ecu to learn?
Should be an instafix, good luck.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup every time I take of from a stop it stutters. So annoying, what is the ecu reset with the gas pedal? How does that work
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-easy-way.html

This is what i did. a little less hassle than disconnecting the battery, it's an easy (and free) first try!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ckl550
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-easy-way.html

This is what i did. a little less hassle than disconnecting the battery, it's an easy (and free) first try!
sweet thanks a lot buddy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.