G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 - Sedan 07 Long Trip. Seeking advise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 - Sedan 07 Long Trip. Seeking advise.

Hello,

I have a G35 07 Sedan which has about 190xxx miles. I am about to start a long trip from Texas to New Jersey (about 1600 miles) in a week. Recently i did oil change. Just have couple of questions.

1) I may sleep in my car and since its cold all the way in my journey, will it be okay if i left my car in idle(4-5hrs) to keep myself warm.
2) My car makes a knocking noise after 45 mins of driving. Its almost like 4-5 knocks in a second which i can hear very clearly when i am in drive-thru. The mechanic said its the air leak from the engine but it not a big deal. Is this something i should be worried about and get it fixed before i start.
3) Is there anything in particular that you would recommend me to check before the trip.

Thanks for taking your time on this. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Satya Reddy
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Do not sleep in your car!

I drive to Florida from NJ a couple of times a year which is a 1230 mile trip.
We always stop at the half way point in Florence SC which is 600 mi from NJ
An early dinner, a pool and a hot shower a decent hotel to get a good nights sleep is well worth the money.
It is very easy to fall asleep at the wheel as evidence of all the crosses and flowers every couple of miles on I95 proves from the many accidents.

Go to bed early and wake up early. Early morning driving with fewer cars and trucks on the road is safer.

Figure our your half way point and make a reservation. I use the Marriott rewards and usually have enough points to obtain a free room. Marriott does not allow smoking or pets in their properties. Cheap hotels allow both and who wants to sleep in a bed where someones dog with fleas may have been there?

Enjoy your trip and know that it is against the law to pump your own gas in NJ and learn what a jughandle is. Carefully observe the no left turn signs. Mostly all turns are from the right lane.
Drive safely and be aware NJ State Troopers love to pull over out of state vehicles especially those sitting in the left lane failing to keep to the right or not signaling with no lights on in bad weather.
If you own a weapon leave it home.

Enjoy your trip.

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
Satya Reddy (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Thank you very much for the advise.

Originally Posted by telcoman
Do not sleep in your car!

I drive to Florida from NJ a couple of times a year which is a 1230 mile trip.
We always stop at the half way point in Florence SC which is 600 mi from NJ
An early dinner, a pool and a hot shower a decent hotel to get a good nights sleep is well worth the money.
It is very easy to fall asleep at the wheel as evidence of all the crosses and flowers every couple of miles on I95 proves from the many accidents.

Go to bed early and wake up early. Early morning driving with fewer cars and trucks on the road is safer.

Figure our your half way point and make a reservation. I use the Marriott rewards and usually have enough points to obtain a free room. Marriott does not allow smoking or pets in their properties. Cheap hotels allow both and who wants to sleep in a bed where someones dog with fleas may have been there?

Enjoy your trip and know that it is against the law to pump your own gas in NJ and learn what a jughandle is. Carefully observe the no left turn signs. Mostly all turns are from the right lane.
Drive safely and be aware NJ State Troopers love to pull over out of state vehicles especially those sitting in the left lane failing to keep to the right or not signaling with no lights on in bad weather.
If you own a weapon leave it home.

Enjoy your trip.

Telcoman

Thank you very much. I had no idea that its illegal to pump your own gas. Last but not least, thanks for the jughandle. I just looked it up, i am pretty sure i would have made that mistake and kept wondering why r people honking at me till the cop pulls me over and explained me that. Oh i guess i should have mentioned this, it was my mistake i apologize. I am planning to finish the trip in 3 days. I will only be driving 7-8hrs a day (assuming i will cover 550-650 miles), find a rest area and that's it, no more driving for the next 15hrs. Will catch up on my sleep, enjoy the scenery, do my Math and Physics. Continue this routine for next 2 days till i reach my destination. That is why i was seeking advise if i could keep the engine idle for 4-5hrs to keep myself warm, and i would turn the car off for about 8-9hrs. That's the whole story. A small vacation (in my car) before the school starts.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Satya Reddy
Thank you very much. I had no idea that its illegal to pump your own gas. Last but not least, thanks for the jughandle. I just looked it up, i am pretty sure i would have made that mistake and kept wondering why r people honking at me till the cop pulls me over and explained me that. Oh i guess i should have mentioned this, it was my mistake i apologize. I am planning to finish the trip in 3 days. I will only be driving 7-8hrs a day (assuming i will cover 550-650 miles), find a rest area and that's it, no more driving for the next 15hrs. Will catch up on my sleep, enjoy the scenery, do my Math and Physics. Continue this routine for next 2 days till i reach my destination. That is why i was seeking advise if i could keep the engine idle for 4-5hrs to keep myself warm, and i would turn the car off for about 8-9hrs. That's the whole story. A small vacation (in my car) before the school starts.
Some more advice.
Never ever drink and drive. If you get pulled over for DUI it will cost you over $10k and the police are watching young drivers very carefully.
If you've got tinted glass you better do some research on NJ law

If you are going to school in NJ and driving I strongly urge you to apply for an EZ Pass transponder for your vehicle unless you don't mind long lines at toll booths and paying more for tolls. Apply to the New York EZ Pass and not NJ because NY does not charge a monthly account fee.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml

Who knows, you may enjoy NJ so much you'll never go back to Texas?

Travel to the Jersey shore during the summer (Wildwood, Long Beach Island, Asbury Park) and Manhattan. Once you have Pizza,Bagels, Chinese food up here you'll never eat the fake foods that they have elsewhere.

Good luck to you.

Telcoman

Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Some more advice.
Never ever drink and drive. If you get pulled over for DUI it will cost you over $10k and the police are watching young drivers very carefully.
If you've got tinted glass you better do some research on NJ law

If you are going to school in NJ and driving I strongly urge you to apply for an EZ Pass transponder for your vehicle unless you don't mind long lines at toll booths and paying more for tolls. Apply to the New York EZ Pass and not NJ because NY does not charge a monthly account fee.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml

Who knows, you may enjoy NJ so much you'll never go back to Texas?

Travel to the Jersey shore during the summer (Wildwood, Long Beach Island, Asbury Park) and Manhattan. Once you have Pizza,Bagels, Chinese food up here you'll never eat the fake foods that they have elsewhere.

Good luck to you.

Telcoman
I really appreciate the time you are taking in giving me advice/suggestions. Seriously, THANK YOU Mr. Telcoman. Will definitely plan to visit the Jersey shore during the next holidays. And of course will try the food (if i can afford it). Sure, will look into EZ pass, i never thought about that.

Thanks again and Good Luck to you as well Mr. Telcoman.

Take Care-

Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I just have to reiterate NEVER SLEEP WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. Put a sleeping bag (or a few blankets) in the back seat and just hop in the bag when you're sleeping.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I just have to reiterate NEVER SLEEP WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. Put a sleeping bag (or a few blankets) in the back seat and just hop in the bag when you're sleeping.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said!

A Carbon monoxide leak can kill you

Telcoman