G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sport Wheels were rotated by mistake. Follow up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sport, 6MT
Sport Wheels were rotated by mistake. Follow up?

Hi All, newly joined but have been following for a while. This site is a great resource. Hoping for some insight on a recent boneheaded oversight on my part. TLDR: sport wheels were fitted with matching size tires and rotated 3x over 2 years. How much of a problem is this + appropriate follow up?

07 g35 sport 6mt. Daily driver. Stock except for brakes and rotors. After purchase ~2 years ago a high end shop in Queens, NY recommended and installed 4 matching Continental TrueContact 225/50 R18 and a full set of Akebono pads and rotors. Spacers were added to make the rotors fit. (Possibly the reason rotation was possible in the first places once OEM rotors had the pin to prevent this?)

fast forward 2 years and a move to Richmond VA later: I’m only just now realizing that wheels are staggered sizes front and back and it should not even be possible to rotate. Never heard a peep to this point from two additional shops that have gone ahead and rotated the tires 3x since.

1) how concerned should I be about the car?
2) aside from bringing it back in and moving the wheels back to their correct place, any suggestions on follow up work or bringing this up with my shop?

Appreciate all the knowledge and time you all put in to educating knuckleheads like me...

Old 08-23-2020, 03:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Are you SURE you have staggered wheels? Use a tape measure and verify that one set is actually 1 inch wider than the other set.

More likely they probably "rotated" the wheels from the left side to the right, not front to back. However this can be a problem as well because UHPT tires are usually directional, look at the sidewall and see if there's a direction indicator. If those tires are not directional then they aren't really hurting anything by doing a left/right swap however the TPMS sensors ARE CALIBRATED FOR AN EXACT CORNER and when you go swapping them around you trick the car into thinking the left wheel is low when it's actually the right wheel. This can cause problems if you ever have to troubleshoot an error code for TPMS stuff.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sport, 6MT
[QUOTE=cleric670;7196933]Are you SURE you have staggered wheels? Use a tape measure and verify that one set is actually 1 inch wider than the other set.

More likely they probably "rotated" the wheels from the left side to the right, not front to back. However this can be a problem as well because UHPT tires are usually directional, look at the sidewall and see if there's a direction indicator. If those tires are not directional then they aren't really hurting anything by doing a left/right swap however the TPMS sensors ARE CALIBRATED FOR AN EXACT CORNER and when you go swapping them around you trick the car into thinking the left wheel is low when it's actually the right wheel. This can cause problems if you ever have to troubleshoot an error code for TPMS stuff.[/QUOTE

As far as I can tell it has 4 stock 18” sport wheels, which the manual says are staggered and should not be rotated. I can tell by some rash on a couple of them that fronts and rears have switched positions. Maybe the only way to tell for sure is to measure them like you said.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The reason I suspect you do not actually have staggered wheels is because you said you got a squared set of tires to fit on them. The same size tire is going to fit much differently on the two different sizes of wheels.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Is OP confusing coupe for sedan? Coupes are staggered. My understanding is that sedans are not, regardless of whether it is "sport" or not.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 AM
Received 397 Likes on 360 Posts
I had the OEM 17” wheels on my coupe and they were slightly staggered with the same exact tires on there. U couldnt tell them apart though.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock 07 Sport wheels are 18"x7.5" +45 offset in front and 18"x8.5" +50 offset in the rear. 08 offered the Sport wheels for AWD models with the smaller 7.5" all around. Pull the wheels off and check the back side of the spokes. They will state the wheel size and "front" or "rear". Sort them out, get the right size tires, alignment and you should be good to go.

I have an 08 Sport 6MT with the bigger 09+ G37 Sedan Akebonos. I swapped out the my 08 Sport wheels for the 09s so I didn't have to deal with spacers to clear the brakes.