G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

Let's discuss the new VQ37HR-VVEL.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1
Torque peaks at 270, but there is increased torque across the board which is more important than a peak number. You want the broadest, flatest torque curve possible and they have only improved on the great VQ35HR torque curve.

Your point about how torque is certainly valid, but 270 lb/ft for a close to 3700 lb car is not impressive regardless of the torque curve. By comparison the 335 has 300 lb/ft of torque. Drive both cars back to back and you will immediately notice the differance notwithstanding the far lower published HP rating of the 335. The only hope for the performance guys who like Nissan and can't afforsd a GT-R, is that the Nissan Z will be able to offer the same engine in a car that weighs far less.
Your statements are all correct of course. The one thing you haven't mentioned is the significant increase in horsepower being offered in the larger engine. The car has increased in weight but power overall has increased too.

It is unlikely the new Z car will weigh a whole lot less than the G. My belief is the difference will likely be similiar to the current differential.

In any case Nissan or Infiniti will not likely be the class leader when it comes to straightline speed.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
In any case Nissan or Infiniti will not likely be the class leader when it comes to straightline speed.
Which is a shame, because they always have been... and it was a big value to their marketing, not to mention why they always had such a strong following in the enthusiast community. Being the top accelerator in comparison tests is why the G35 faired so well in the past... now that it's lost that cachet... hm...

Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been no official tests, just estimates on what the performance numbers for the G37 are. I think people will be surprised, they obviously had the 335i in mind when testing it so it should not dissapoint.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
Torque peaks at 270, but there is increased torque across the board which is more important than a peak number. You want the broadest, flatest torque curve possible and they have only improved on the great VQ35HR torque curve.

Your point about how torque is certainly valid, but 270 lb/ft for a close to 3700 lb car is not impressive regardless of the torque curve. By comparison the 335 has 300 lb/ft of torque. Drive both cars back to back and you will immediately notice the differance notwithstanding the far lower published HP rating of the 335. The only hope for the performance guys who like Nissan and can't afforsd a GT-R, is that the Nissan Z will be able to offer the same engine in a car that weighs far less.
Agree with what you are saying, but take a look at actual 335 dyno's. They are way underrated by BMW. I would say that while 270lb/ft doesn't sound like enough for the heavier G, it will be stronger feeling than the current G. The HP increase in the top end will be great for the track and the boost in torque across the board is always a good thing for everyday drivability.

I certainly understand what you mean though. I wish it was at 300lb/ft as well, and I wish the HP was 10-20 more so it can beat the 335i in accelleration.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by trebien
Which is a shame, because they always have been... and it was a big value to their marketing, not to mention why they always had such a strong following in the enthusiast community. Being the top accelerator in comparison tests is why the G35 faired so well in the past... now that it's lost that cachet... hm...
Agreed 100%. They need to AT LEAST match the 335i 0-60, 1/4mile and trap speed.

They really should be focused on toppling the 335 accelleration. If they could pull it off along with the new handling/braking focus they seem to have they would really boost their sales.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, it's interesting. At G35 driver folks seem really concerned with straight line speed. Over at e90post *most* (not all) guys seems more concerned about suspension. No real point to make, just interesting.

I personally think if Infiniti can make a car that *handles* as well as the 3 series, they will have accomplished something quite spectacular, regardless of a tenth in the 1/4 mile. In fact, given the ease of modding the 335i to move much quicker in a straight line, I think it is smart of Infiniti to try to topple it dynamically rather than in acceleration. So far it seems like they may have done that, so good on em.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Agreed with Picus.

Anybody concered with a tenth of a second in 0-60 or the 1/4 will ALSO know that 335i will demolish the G with only Exhaust and ECU. Game over.

Infiniti must find other ways to keep the performance oriented crew - handling, driver's feedback, braking, etc. And I hope they have a nice sounding exhaust system again like my FX (and current G coupes)!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by trebien
Perhaps in the coupe class but not in the sedan class. The Lexus IS350 took that honour and more recently have given it up to BMW.

You say that its lost that cachet but we don't know that for sure yet for the coupe.

Originally Posted by picus 112
You know, it's interesting. At G35 driver folks seem really concerned with straight line speed. Over at e90post *most* (not all) guys seems more concerned about suspension. No real point to make, just interesting.

I personally think if Infiniti can make a car that *handles* as well as the 3 series, they will have accomplished something quite spectacular, regardless of a tenth in the 1/4 mile. In fact, given the ease of modding the 335i to move much quicker in a straight line, I think it is smart of Infiniti to try to topple it dynamically rather than in acceleration. So far it seems like they may have done that, so good on em.
^+1

If the the competition zigs you have to zag. My guess is the difference in what is important to people is the difference in consumer demographics of the two cars. I'm more interested now in better handling dynamics than slight superiority in a straight line.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Just for the record. 300hp out of a 3.5 / 3.7 liter engine isn't that great. BMW got 330hp out of their na 3.0 liter inline 6 years ago.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Just for the record. 300hp out of a 3.5 / 3.7 liter engine isn't that great. BMW got 330hp out of their na 3.0 liter inline 6 years ago.
True but your numbers aren't exactly representative of the Infiniti specs. The new sedan has 306hp from the 3.5 and the 3.7 is expected to have 330. Not anywhere near the BMW example you use but better than you're trying to suggest.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Red Card Crew

My point is BMW has got much more hp out of their similarly sized na 6 cylinders than Nissan. BMW has also used some very exotic varible cam timing (double vanos) and some very exotic block materials (magnesium). Their 330hp engine doesn' make the torque numbers the Nissan engine will make but that's more a function of displacement vs engine tech.

Originally Posted by RBull
True but your numbers aren't exactly representative of the Infiniti specs. The new sedan has 306hp from the 3.5 and the 3.7 is expected to have 330. Not anywhere near the BMW example you use but better than you're trying to suggest.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Just asking out of curiosity - which engine made 330 HP out of 3.0 liters? The E46 M3 engine is a 3.2 liter. That engine, besides being put in a much more expensive car, did not make peak HP until very high in the rpm range (7,900 rpm). Makes sense for a 3.2 liter engine. Taking advantage of the lower torque with high rpm for added power. The new G seems to be somewhere in the middle. 7,500 rpm redline is impressive nonetheless.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Red Card Crew

Could either be the 3.2 which is still big numbers or the European 3.0. I forget. Yes it makes the hp in the upper rpm but isn't that what a sports car engine is supposed to do? We dont' drive diesel cummings ya know?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
The M3 engine was 3.2 liters. Still... that was a ltd application engine in a much more expensive car. They (BMW) also made a 3.0 liter in the 330... it made a whopping 265 HP. That's 88 horses per liter, and under the old (pre-SAE) standards. The new 3.5VQ making 306 is 87 horses per liter, under the new SAE standards, so it's actually higher for comparison's sake. The 3.7 making 330 horses is 89 per liter.

Many more expensive or spots-oriented cars make over 100 hp per liter. No torque, but lots of power up high... which is a trade-off for a sports car to get the most out of the displacement. A la S2000....

Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Jeff - The S54 engine also utilized ITBs to make that power. Aftermarket powermakers are slim (short of boost), and there were MANY reliability issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let's discuss the new VQ37HR-VVEL.