Let's discuss the new VQ37HR-VVEL.

So I'll start.

Differences between the VQ35HR:

*Increased Stroke
*Higher Compression Ratio
*VVEL
*Increased low end torque by 6% and top end torque by 4%
*Even more fuel effecient

Using simple logic from what I've read and seen the VQ35HR gives up no low-end torque for better top end power. The VQ37HR will improve even on this design which is great. There will usable power in the entire rpm range.

This must be the best N/A V6 ever put into production. This, of course, assuming it is reliable and non-oil consuming.

I know a lot of people will compared this to the TTV6 in the 335. N/A cars usually prove to be much more reliable over time than a turbo car especially a complex TT setup... as aluring as it may be.

Anyone have other facts, impressions/speculation? Once we have concrete specs and driving impressions it will be better discussion.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its one of the more powerful V6 engine that is on the market. Lets see, my impression on it is that its a badass engine and FI would be expensive since the compression is high. I expect the G37 to have a lot more top end power compared to last gen.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 AM
It's a great engine, but lets be candid here - it's not a record setter.

Is there proof it's more fuel efficient?

Also higher redline you can note.
Not sure you can already conclude that it will give more top end power without sacrificing TQ.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
This engine is a monster, and guess what, there is STILL no direct injection, so theres STILL room for improvement.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say one of the best N/A V6's around is the VG30DE which was in the '90-'96 300ZX. BULLETPROOF, super smooth, and doesn't drink oil at all, even at 190,000miles. I check the oil more often in my G than my old Z since I'm nervous about the oil consumption issue with the VQ.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypnoz
I know a lot of people will compared this to the TTV6 in the 335. N/A cars usually prove to be much more reliable over time than a turbo car especially a complex TT setup... as aluring as it may be.
the 335i is running a 3.2L inline 6 which is a completely different set up from the 3.5 VQ... also keep in mind that BMW designed this engine to run boost... and just because a car is FI does not automatically make it less reliable then a similar well tuned NA engine... it all matters on the build of the engine and its ability to handle abuse... as im sure ur well aware there are tons of NA cars out there with very unreliable engines.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wyatthanson
It's a great engine, but lets be candid here - it's not a record setter.

Is there proof it's more fuel efficient?

Also higher redline you can note.
Not sure you can already conclude that it will give more top end power without sacrificing TQ.
I don't think anyone has claimed it is record setter, although you would need to be more specific about what records you're talking about.

Various mag tests have published statements on the fuel efficiency improvements and broader torque gains along with projected crank hp based on technical information from Nissan. This is standard auto manufacturer practice for a model not yet released to the public.

Do you doubt the validity of the claim?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the nissan v6's are record setters.. best top 10 motors 10+years running and this will be another on that list=P( i know its won it a few years more but im just playing it safe)

Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
The BMW TT is a 3.0 liter inline 6.

1. Still no direct injection. WTF? It's a win-win. More power, more efficiency. Take a page from Nike and Just Do It.

2. Lemme get this straight... displacement bumps up to 3.7L via longer stroke (~5mm)... VVEL adds all this infinite valve control... and torque still only peaks at 270? Hmm... something is a little fishy with that. I know it's flatter curve , etc... but fug that. There should also be a peak torque increase, which would helps numbers across the board and look good on marketing paper. That surprises me. And I want to know more about why that is...

3. And to add a conspiracy theory to the facts mentioned above, maybe they left some room on the table for improvement? But why... Hmm... They are somewhat "re-launching" the NISMO brand... a ltd edition upcoming NISMO 350z is coming this year. I wonder if a forthcoming ECU is in the works that will peak out those numbers. I could see an exhaust/ECU package hitting another 15/20 HP/T for a system. Hmmm... just conjecture.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trebien

Thank you.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know if the VQ37HR is using an electric water pump like the 335i? If not... there is still lots of room for improvement:
-Direct injection with even higher compression 15-20hp
-Electric water pump - 10hp
-Bigger bore - 15-20hp

380 horsepower? Remind you of any other Nissan VQ? The 3.8 in the Nismo 380z...

Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by zeroscythe
the 335i is running a 3.2L inline 6 which is a completely different set up from the 3.5 VQ... also keep in mind that BMW designed this engine to run boost... and just because a car is FI does not automatically make it less reliable then a similar well tuned NA engine... it all matters on the build of the engine and its ability to handle abuse... as im sure ur well aware there are tons of NA cars out there with very unreliable engines.
Agreed, but typically TT engines cost a lot to maintain later on and many things can go wrong compared with an N/A engine. It's simply a more complex design.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by trebien

1. Still no direct injection. WTF? It's a win-win. More power, more efficiency. Take a page from Nike and Just Do It.

2. Lemme get this straight... displacement bumps up to 3.7L via longer stroke (~5mm)... VVEL adds all this infinite valve control... and torque still only peaks at 270? Hmm... something is a little fishy with that. I know it's flatter curve , etc... but fug that. There should also be a peak torque increase, which would helps numbers across the board and look good on marketing paper. That surprises me. And I want to know more about why that is...

3. And to add a conspiracy theory to the facts mentioned above, maybe they left some room on the table for improvement? But why... Hmm... They are somewhat "re-launching" the NISMO brand... a ltd edition upcoming NISMO 350z is coming this year. I wonder if a forthcoming ECU is in the works that will peak out those numbers. I could see an exhaust/ECU package hitting another 15/20 HP/T for a system. Hmmm... just conjecture.

Direct Injection is not so ideal for higher revving engines...

Torque peaks at 270, but there is increased torque across the board which is more important than a peak number. You want the broadest, flatest torque curve possible and they have only improved on the great VQ35HR torque curve.

I would be more impressed if they could do 350hp without a turbo. 330 is a good step but they MUST realise their competition: a TT V6. That is huge for enthusiasts because of the ease of making more HP. A maxed out big V6 is not as appealing as cool as it must be. If they can beat 335i acceleration numbers then they will have a winner.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Didn't doubt the claims, just like to see proof for assertions. It gets tough sifting through some of the BS wishful thinking around here.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Torque peaks at 270, but there is increased torque across the board which is more important than a peak number. You want the broadest, flatest torque curve possible and they have only improved on the great VQ35HR torque curve.

Your point about how torque is certainly valid, but 270 lb/ft for a close to 3700 lb car is not impressive regardless of the torque curve. By comparison the 335 has 300 lb/ft of torque. Drive both cars back to back and you will immediately notice the differance notwithstanding the far lower published HP rating of the 335. The only hope for the performance guys who like Nissan and can't afforsd a GT-R, is that the Nissan Z will be able to offer the same engine in a car that weighs far less.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let's discuss the new VQ37HR-VVEL.