G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mantisG35

yah when i read the article that's all i was thinking off. these guys have been paid!!

one thing tho. why does Infiniti keep embarrassing themselves by providing older models of 335 that do not include the oil cooler? all post-march 07 335i's have the cooler standard!
This is not true. Here is the oil cooler situation *again*, read carefully.

June/06 production until March/07 production. ONLY MT WITH ZSP have oil cooler. All other cars, no cooler.

March/07 on. ALL ZSP CARS have oil cooler, no zsp no cooler.

So no, not all 335i's have the oil cooler, just ones with the sport package.

They should all have them, it was a mistake for them not to and it is a mistake to continue producing them without one. I love my car, but I'd like to punch the jerkoff who came up with the no oil cooler thing in the face. I can't even fathom how he sold that crap to his bosses.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
but BMW has ALREADY taken care of these issues early this year. i dont know why Infiniti keeps on giving 335's withOUT the oil cooler altho all 335's that are made in march and after have the cooler standard!
it makes infiniti less credible
Read above.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up, picus. I was a little confused myself. I saw this post on Nicoclub.com also.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
IMO, money has to be a factor when comparing two vehicles, especially when the price difference is $7k+. You don't think money would be a factor if a mag was comparing the 335i with a car $7k+ more expensive? Of course it would.

But I agree though, "trounce" is definitely not the case with this comparison........more like a slim margin at best.
I work for car dealerships and my point was more towards the bmw owner or future owner. They don't care there is a car out there that is $7k less that is just a tad slower, it's not a bmw. I find all bmw's to be over priced everything from the 328 all the way up to the 760. I have driven in or drove every bmw model even a m6 convertible, impressive cars but the price point on every one of them is a joke. You drive a 328 convertible and you laugh when you realize its 45k+, it feels like your driving a saturn ion. The 335 on th eother hand is probably bmw's biggest achievement for the money compared to their other models. When all said and done a bmw owner isn't worried about the g37. I would take a g37 over a 335 but I highly doubt a 335 owner will will trade down to a g37 after reading this article.

Did I read the article incorrectly or did the 335 still beat the g37 in every category speed wise? I am not hating on the g37 by any means and I will be the first to say every bmw is the most overpriced car on the road but I just don't see how the g37 dethrone's the 335.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't have a G35/37, (prospective customer, current GTO owner), but I'm surprised by all the negativity here about the tested 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. Maybe I'm not keeping up with the car market as well as I used to, but I consider anything that can turn the 1/4 mile under 14 seconds and over 100 mph as "fast". It wasn't all that long ago when the only reasonably-priced cars (under $40k) that could perform like that were cars like the 32v Mustang Cobra and the hotter versions of the Camaro/Firebird. And at that time nobody considered those cars "slow".

Even in the current market, what else is out there that does <14 seconds and >100 MPH at a price significantly under $40k? The only cars I can think of are the G35/37, the now-extinct GTO, the turbo Subies, the V8 Mustangs, and Chrysler's giant SRT8 models. Pontiac G8 is not here yet but it will probably be too heavy to beat those numbers. Most cars I listed don't have the refinements and luxury features to compete with the G35/37. (The GTO is comfy and pleasant to drive, it has minimal options and does not really compete as a luxury car--no nav, marginal sound system, manual climate control etc). And the SRT8 cars are too big and heavy to even be in the same market as a sport coupe like the G37.

In order for a 3600-3700 pound RWD car to turn low 13s and 105+ trap speeds, which a lot of people seemed to be expecting, it's going to need something like 370-400 HP. The LS2 GTO is ~3700 pounds and 400 HP, and lots of people still end up running only mid or high 13s in real world conditions. The LS1 GTOs like mine often don't break into the 13s, depending on weather and traction.

Anyway, these early track numbers are not going to make me strike a G35 or G37 off my shopping list for 2009. I think some of you are expecting Corvette performance with Infiniti luxury, which would be great, but it's just not realistic at the mid-30k price point.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by Meth68
I work for car dealerships and my point was more towards the bmw owner or future owner. They don't care there is a car out there that is $7k less that is just a tad slower, it's not a bmw. I find all bmw's to be over priced everything from the 328 all the way up to the 760. I have driven in or drove every bmw model even a m6 convertible, impressive cars but the price point on every one of them is a joke. You drive a 328 convertible and you laugh when you realize its 45k+, it feels like your driving a saturn ion. The 335 on th eother hand is probably bmw's biggest achievement for the money compared to their other models. When all said and done a bmw owner isn't worried about the g37. I would take a g37 over a 335 but I highly doubt a 335 owner will will trade down to a g37 after reading this article.

Did I read the article incorrectly or did the 335 still beat the g37 in every category speed wise? I am not hating on the g37 by any means and I will be the first to say every bmw is the most overpriced car on the road but I just don't see how the g37 dethrone's the 335.
I personally believe that they're equally amazing vehicles. For Infiniti to make a vehicle that is as great as the BMW for a lot less money is a great accomplishment. Infiniti could've made the G37 the same price as BMW with improvements on speed if it really mattered but Infiniti didn't want that to happen and lose business.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by picus112

June/06 production until March/07 production. ONLY MT WITH ZSP have oil cooler. All other cars, no cooler.

They should all have them, it was a mistake for them not to and it is a mistake to continue producing them without one. I love my car, but I'd like to punch the jerkoff who came up with the no oil cooler thing in the face. I can't even fathom how he sold that crap to his bosses.
that's not true according to bimmerfest. that's where i got this info from. in any case infiniti should have matched cars, that's only fair

Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't even fathom how he sold that crap to his bosses.
..or that his bosses accepted it and thought it was a good idea.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Yimbie
I personally believe that they're equally amazing vehicles. For Infiniti to make a vehicle that is as great as the BMW for a lot less money is a great accomplishment. Infiniti could've made the G37 the same price as BMW with improvements on speed if it really mattered but Infiniti didn't want that to happen and lose business.
Very true. I think Infiniti has done what they set out to accomplish with the G37 and they will get the business that they are targeting.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by Number_6
I don't have a G35/37, (prospective customer, current GTO owner), but I'm surprised by all the negativity here about the tested 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. Maybe I'm not keeping up with the car market as well as I used to, but I consider anything that can turn the 1/4 mile under 14 seconds and over 100 mph as "fast". It wasn't all that long ago when the only reasonably-priced cars (under $40k) that could perform like that were cars like the 32v Mustang Cobra and the hotter versions of the Camaro/Firebird. And at that time nobody considered those cars "slow".

Even in the current market, what else is out there that does <14 seconds and >100 MPH at a price significantly under $40k? The only cars I can think of are the G35/37, the now-extinct GTO, the turbo Subies, the V8 Mustangs, and Chrysler's giant SRT8 models. Pontiac G8 is not here yet but it will probably be too heavy to beat those numbers. Most cars I listed don't have the refinements and luxury features to compete with the G35/37. (The GTO is comfy and pleasant to drive, it has minimal options and does not really compete as a luxury car--no nav, marginal sound system, manual climate control etc). And the SRT8 cars are too big and heavy to even be in the same market as a sport coupe like the G37.

In order for a 3600-3700 pound RWD car to turn low 13s and 105+ trap speeds, which a lot of people seemed to be expecting, it's going to need something like 370-400 HP. The LS2 GTO is ~3700 pounds and 400 HP, and lots of people still end up running only mid or high 13s in real world conditions. The LS1 GTOs like mine often don't break into the 13s, depending on weather and traction.

Anyway, these early track numbers are not going to make me strike a G35 or G37 off my shopping list for 2009. I think some of you are expecting Corvette performance with Infiniti luxury, which would be great, but it's just not realistic at the mid-30k price point.
Thank you very much for that post.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
that's not true according to bimmerfest. that's where i got this info from. in any case infiniti should have matched cars, that's only fair
What do you mean by matched cars?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 PM

ya know they get a g37 with 4wheel active steer... and they dont even get the sport package on the 335i.... uh. apples to oranges but still a difference.

and how can they compare handling of the G37 vs 335i...they both should of had the sport suspension and go from there.
ppp

Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 PM

That was refreshing number6. Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Awesome post and welcome to the board. Hope to see more post from you!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ Yep I agree, great post Number_6.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!