G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
The traps were low, I think we'll see them routinely higher in other tests/owner results. 100mph makes no sense from that engine.

RE: the tranny, afaik the G sedans is the same way, so the coupes will probably do the same thing (shift automatically at redline, and downshift when put into overdrive). I don't like it either, but I am more concerned with how quickly they shift.
My wife's 04 didn't behave the same way, and neither have the 07 loaners I've had. As for the duration of the shifts, the bmw's auto tranny seemed comparable to Infiniti's IMO.

And I hope the trap speeds increase, though that 104mph trap from the 335 doesn't seem to be unusually low.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My '03 AT did the same thing, so have both '07's I drove. Maybe we're talking about different things...

Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not say that in terms of performance alone that it was a "trouncing". The real key is the $8,000 less cost (anticipated) for the G37. So the real trouncing is in the bang-for-the-buck department.

As an aside, while I am considering both cars, the turbos are the single most significant item that keeps me from being more enthused about the 335i. To me, it is much more impressive to be able to get 300+ horsepower out of a normally aspirated six versus having to go to turbos (with all of the added complexity and opportunity for more things to go wrong).

Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Yimbie
Is this something that you have been looking for, skaterbasist? I hope this helps.
lol how did my name get metioned here?

I hope the best for the G37; but if it wins or loses the battle against the 335i, it really doesnt matter to me. I'm keeping my G35 for good.

Honestly, if price weren't an issue, I think I would chose the 335i Coupe over the G37 for the simple reason that its so mod friendly; one ecu reflash and it becomes a whole different beast.

I like both cars; but im not in the market for another one

Now, I just need to finish reading this review

Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great, drama queens over at MT just HAD TO do it. They couldn't say
'Infiniti has done it again' or 'sport coupes deluxe.' Nope, they have to use terms like "King" and "Dead" and now both Bimmerfest and G35Driver are going to be flooded with nonsense bickering for the next 3 months........

What's up with the performance data on the G37 and fuel economy anyways? Oh yeah, good thing they didn't point out those fake brake ducts on the G37 - would have been pretty embarassing.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
It was only a matter of time before this happened. I knew the G37 was awesome from the time I saw it, that is probably why I ordered one! Glad to see Infiniti brought their A game with the G37 and that this amazing car is getting the recognition that it deserves!!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
My '03 AT did the same thing, so have both '07's I drove. Maybe we're talking about different things...
The trannies in the 03 sedan did upshift automatically. IIRC, the 04.5 saw the ability to hold the gear.

And let me explain the downshifting issue: when I had the 335 out for a test drive, I wanted to feel all that torque down low. To be quite honest, I didn't notice much more power versus my car in 1st or 2nd. So when I was on the interstate, I was cruising at 80 in top gear, and jumped on the throttle. This action resulted in a downshift. It didn't hold 6th gear.

My wife's 04.5 sedan wouldn't downshift unless the rpms were really low, like below 1500rpms. IIRC, the bmw was turning somewhere between 2200 and 2400 at 80 in top gear, so there was no need for it to downshift. The only way I could prevent it from downshifting was to give it maybe 1/3rd throttle.

BTW - when I finally figured out how to keep it in gear at 80, the torque was very impressive. Acceleration at 1/3rd throttle from ~2400rpms was far greater than at 80 my car, which would be about 3krpms, even at full throttle.

I'm sure it has more torque down low than my car, but 1st and 2nd are so short that I couldn't perceive a noticeable difference.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Yimbie
It's Nicoclub.com, the other forum site. They own the www.g37driver.com site name... which sucks.
What sux?? That G35driver missed out on the rights for the name or the site itself??

the site itself looks good to me

Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah, ok I see what you mean now Trey. A lot of it has to do with the silly drive by wire. Some people actually perceive that as turbo lag... my point (I have one honest!) is that in 6th with the 335i you don't need to punch it. Just gradually put the peddle down and it'll stick in 6th and you'll feel the torque difference. I think that's the thing I like most about the car, the ability to find power anywhere in the band. Of course with the G revving it up to get the power *was* fun.

Originally Posted by Sukairain
'Infiniti has done it again' or 'sport coupes deluxe.' Nope, they have to use terms like "King" and "Dead" and now both Bimmerfest and G35Driver are going to be flooded with nonsense bickering for the next 3 months........

What's up with the performance data on the G37 and fuel economy anyways? Oh yeah, good thing they didn't point out those fake brake ducts on the G37 - would have been pretty embarassing.
Haha ya, the guys at e90post are having a fit. Just take it all with some humor I guess. I don't know what's up with the performance date, but the fuel economy seems right to me; very in line with that I got from my G's (a little better, but close)

Old 06-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Simple - its what sells. How many people would buy a magazine that stated "Two great cars- no winner, both are equal". They had to pick a winner, and they had to make a splash to make sales impact. I bet they sell a lot of magazines this month....

Good Job Infiniti, this is 1 Damm fine car, now lets get that demo sled onto dealer lots quick!!!! My right foot is getting trigger happy just thinking about it...... And that poor old VW mule I am driving can't stand the strain anymore.....

Old 06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
did anyoen save the article pages by any chance and can re-up them? Imageshack bandwidth exceeded...

Old 06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Go back to the first link - They're available.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by G_really
What sux?? That G35driver missed out on the rights for the name or the site itself??

the site itself looks good to me
Oh I'm not insulting Nicoclub in any way. I'm just saying that it sucks that G35driver missed out on the site name.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Yin-Yang and Life

Fuel economy will be very different when it goes from driver to driver and for its uses. Edmunds got 21.5 while Car and Driver and Motor Trend both got in the 18s.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, sounds like it was pretty damn close! I bet the BMW owners are ticked off about this!

-Sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!