G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I like the G37, the G winning this article on price/ 335 oil cooling issues isn't very exciting.

What's most disappointing is the G's 0-60 and 1/4 trap speeds. Not impressive considering it's hp:weight ratio, power band, and gearing.

If you reply "if power means something to you go buy a muscle car, etc" then you are missing the point.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good read, they are both nice cars but I am a sucker for the "underdog".

I really want to drive a G37!!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
An increase in displacement does not make an engine "bigger" per se. This is a common misconception. The VQ37VHR aside from the addition of VVEL and upgraded internals is essentially a stroker version of the VQ35HR with an 86 mm stroke vs. a stroke of 81.4 mm for the 35DE and 35HR motors.

A lot of people go "oh s**t" when they see larger displacement numbers but that doesn't tell the whole story. The 7.0L LS7 under the hood of the C6 Z06 has the same 4.4 in bore spacing as the smaller displacement 6.0L LS2 and now 6.2L LS3 found under the hoods of base model C6 Corvettes.

good call, my bad

Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I did not read the article, but I wonder what difference limited slip differential being added to the 335i would have on the reviewers.. I have read elsewhere the lack of it made for some nasty track driving.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Its GREAT news for infiniti thats for sure. I mean, SOMETHING that actually BEATS the 335i, that is something that gets notice.

quarter mile time is pretty disappointing, but magazine times tends to be slower than the ones i see people posting on the forum (in general).

Props to infiniti! 8k difference is A LOT to pay for such a marginal performance difference, even with 2 turbos IMO.

335i wins in terms of modding though...

Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
jnmunsey.... You seem to be the ONLY one who got the point of the review, and heck, you didn't even read the article.

I read the thread over the e90 forum, and it's entertaining watching them bitch-slapping each others (sort of like the "my G35 is better than the G37" threads here). Most suggests the 335 lost only because it does not have the oil cooler, or cause it costs more, BUT!

They missed one important statement from the review: the handling aspects. Let's review what the article says:

"Light rain and mist have dampened the surface...driven smoothly, with no abrupt throttle jabs, the G37 stability control nanny never intervenes to the point of cutting power...the steering feels natural, and the car turns in sharply and predictably at every corner...BMW natural steering feels somewhat lighter to the touch...335 tt engine occasionally delivers more thrust than the right foot intends...couple with the fact that BMW offers no mechanical LSD, and you get a lot of DSC intervention on corner exits in the rain, however gently you squeeze the go-pedal"

BMW is known for its handling in the twisties. Yet by skimping on an LSD on a $47K+ car, BMW ruins the driving dynamics of the 335.

I am amazed no one on that e90 thread even brought up this glaring fault.

And on top of that, people wants to ADD more power to their 335 thru Proceed?

Who knows...may be our friend Picus can highlight this oversight to the e90 forum...

Last edited by mygiantcircle; 06-25-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by mygiantcircle
jnmunsey.... You seem to be the ONLY one who got the point of the review, and heck, you didn't even read the article.

I read the thread over the e90 forum, and it's entertaining watching them bitch-slapping each others (sort of like the "my G35 is better than the G37" threads here). Most suggests the 335 lost only because it does not have the oil cooler, or cause it costs more, BUT!

They missed one important statement from the review: the handling aspects. Let's review what the article says:

"Light rain and mist have dampened the surface...driven smoothly, with no abrupt throttle jabs, the G37 stability control nanny never intervenes to the point of cutting power...the steering feels natural, and the car turns in sharply and predictably at every corner...BMW natural steering feels somewhat lighter to the touch...335 tt engine occasionally delivers more thrust than the right foot intends...couple with the fact that BMW offers no mechanical LSD, and you get a lot of DSC intervention on corner exits in the rain, however gently you squeeze the go-pedal"

BMW is known for its handling in the twisties. Yet by skimping on an LSD on a $47K+ car, BMW ruins the driving dynamics of the 335.

Who knows...may be our friend Picus can highlight this oversight to the e90 forum...
It's maybe that they never even thought of that because they were so angry or they just wanted to avoid it because it's a negative thing towards the 335i and thus posting it on the 335i would result in flaming.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yimbie
It's maybe that they never even thought of that because they were so angry or they just wanted to avoid it because it's a negative thing towards the 335i and thus posting it on the 335i would result in flaming.
I know why they didn't bring it up. I am positive I know why - because it's been beaten to death on that forum like you wouldn't believe. Remember the '03 coupe and the fake aluminum? You know how people talked about that crap for years, like 8 billion posts? Or the tire feathering thing...god I am still sick of hearing about that. Well, that's the LSD thing on e90 post. All I can say is trust me, we *all* know that BMW not putting one in hurts the car and we all know why they did it (in fact, they told us why), because the 335i is as quick around a track as an e46 M3, and with LSD it'd be quicker, and they didn't want that. Can I blame em? Eh... ya, I want an LSD. Luckily (I guess) buying one is cheap. Infiniti doesn't have to worry about poaching on cars in their lineup, so like the oil cooler; BMW's mistake is their gain.

I do agree about the procede though; adding more power to this car is for straight line only. On a track you'll never feel the added power because your inside tire will just take it all away anyway, even with DSC all the way off (which you can do). I'd get an LSD before procede for sure.

I still think the 335i will be as quick around any track as the G37. In fact I'd bet on it; but the G37 will likely be more *FUN* in the sense that limiting that inner wheel spin will allow you to do more in turns whereas the 335i's torque advantage will help it coming out of the corner. Actually I've been meaning to bring this up - one of the deciding factors for me was just that; the 335i, despite it's up front cost and lack of LSD, is almost positively going to be more receptive to mods. There are (I kid you not) already more suspension mods for the e92 than there ever were for my G sedan or coupe. Nevermind the obvious ECU possibilities. If I were keeping the car stock the G37 would have made a much better case for itself to me, but I knew I'd be modding. I suspect that alone will make the decision for many people. Hell, look at B5 S4s - people still pay a premium for them just because they are so easy (and fun) to mod.

Last edited by Picus; 06-25-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
335 tt engine occasionally delivers more thrust than the right foot intends...
TT can be a double edged sword. It sure offers extra power but at the expense of linearity.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
I'm just not going to click that link. lol. I don't need to read anymore negative posts for now... tomorrow I will be all refreshed for more forum battles!

Last edited by Picus; 06-25-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I am proud of the G, but a few points:

0-60 doesn't meach much. Look at the 0-100 differences.
6MT 335is do come with oil coolers.
For the tuning crowd, the choice is obvious.

For the price, I agree - - the G is better.
For non-tuners - - the G is better.
But for enthusiasts, people who like to modify, and people with a little extra cash - - the BMW has the edge IMO.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by wyatthanson

But for enthusiasts, people who like to modify, and people with a little extra cash - - the BMW has the edge IMO.
I completely agree with your post. I personally believe that Infiniti definitely made this vehicle not for enthusiasts but to a larger audience. I think many people actually forget that Infiniti's vision with this G37 maybe is very different from the visions/hopes of the G37 from people on these forums. Infiniti isn't in this market to just make cars for enthusiasts, which is a LOT smaller than the general luxury sports coupe market, but to a wider audience where more people will come into the Infiniti brand. I, for one, never considered the G35 coupe because it didn't appeal to me. The G37 coupe on the otherhand brought me in.

Infiniti you have a new customer! I really hope that I will have a long and trusting relationship with... your dealership(s) and your brand. I'm hoping to go all the way up to buying your flagship (whatever it will be).

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-25-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Wyattttttttttttt! You still going to get one? I'm going to see what else comes out in 08.

Originally Posted by wyatthanson

Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get it. How can they only pull a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile when the G37 dynoed at 50+ more HP than a G35? There are stock G35's pulling 13.7's.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
picus...I appreciate your non-sense input.

I have been on the fence on these two car options. Don't get me wrong - I like both cars...ALOT! and if I have the money, I would like one of each. But, alas, money is hard earned for me, so I buy a car I really like, and keep it for years.

Like I mentioned, I now drive a pristine 90Z, and I love her like the day I got her.

I used to drive and work on turbo cars (Starion and RX7T2), and I would love to get the 335 because of the untapped potential. The extra $7k is nothing for me because, since I keep the car for a long time, it does not matter much (just spend the $$ to get something I really like).

But here are my issues:

1) no LSD. This is a joke (I supposed I have to research to find out how much an aftermarket one costs, and whether it voids any warranty).

2) reliability - issues after issue: fuel pump, oil temp, #5/6 cyclinder cooling. If I were to keep the car until the warranty runs out, then fine, but I keep mine for 10yrs! I wonder how much parts and repair will cost when things like the turbos start to go (and trust me, all the hoses/harnesses under the hood will harden/crack from all the heat before you know it - remember I worked on my turbo cars). I have very little issues with my NA Z, btw.

3) the BMW dealers. Nuff said.

3) interior styling/i-drive is blah to me (but heck, I could live with it)

For the G37, I am disappointed at some styling cues, but overall I like it (flew to NYAS just to see it). I am disappointed at the weight, but I need to drive it for a fair comparison. And it will be hard to mod later...way later...when the warranty runs out!

Man...may be I should wait around for another year to see the GTR...

All this bickering is fun, but now it's getting tiring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!