G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Good review, I've always liked MT. Looks like the cars performance difference is razor thin, and BMW's idiotic oil cooler move is going to cost them some reviews. Good, next time they won't make the same mistake!
Do you foresee a refreshing that includes the oil cooler in maybe 2 years or so? I really am glad that Infiniti and BMW are such rivals in this department. It can only produce better cars for the consumers. I hope this rivalry continues for many years (although I'm sure one company would like to rule over the other but from what I see... it wont happen for a good while).

Old 06-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
You know they will, as they should!! I knew this machine would rock as soon as I saw it. This makes the next 2 months for me, abosolute torture!!
lol the G37 sure is a beautiful piece of machinery mixed in with great luxuries. I'm so happy for Infiniti. I wonder how many "haters" are going to be posting on this forum...

Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! I don't really care, but it sure is cool!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
They are both terrific machines and has been said it's the "individual" in all of us that makes one better than the other for your tastes.
Nice job, Infiniti, but don't take a rest...

Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This article is crazy. It definitely leaves me with mixed impressions.

First off, if you look at the second page of the article(page50), there is a picture of the two cars under a viaduct in the late evening. I was looking at that picture, thinking to myself that the location looks just like this place I know; then I read the review, and see that the performed the review in and around Birmingham. I've taken pictures of my car in almost that exact same location. Sorry, but I think that's just plain cool. It's actually ironic; my dealer called me a few weeks ago stating they had the g37 in the service department for brake service, and that I could check it out(but no photos). Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the dealer before it left. I bet that was during or just after this review.

I'm pleased that the coupe pulled out the victory, but I am still disappointed. They recorded a time trap speed of 100.4, which incidentally, is at the exact same 1/4 track I frequent. My last trip there in ~70 degrees saw my only run net a 103.63mph. I have a hard time believing my meager 1st gen sedan is out-trapping the new 3.7L HR(with vvel) by 3mph, yet at peak I would be down about 25hp. That coupe must be a damned pig.

Though one thing the article didn't mention was the shifting properties of the BMW automatic tranny. It won't hold a gear(automatically upshifts at redline, even in sport mode), and it will automatically downshift when stabbed(also even in sport mode). I really didn't care for the auto tranny in the 335 I test drove.

Last edited by trey.hutcheson; 06-25-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
That is very cool

Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Yimbie
lol the G37 sure is a beautiful piece of machinery mixed in with great luxuries. I'm so happy for Infiniti. I wonder how many "haters" are going to be posting on this forum...
HELLO im still here haha

Old 06-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
That coupe must be a damned pig.
Dont you know that it's 200lbs heavier than the current G35 coupe? Of course the weight is going to be the culprit.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
Originally Posted by mantisG35
HELLO im still here haha
Oops I didn't mean forum... I meant this thread.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you foresee a refreshing that includes the oil cooler in maybe 2 years or so? I really am glad that Infiniti and BMW are such rivals in this department. It can only produce better cars for the consumers. I hope this rivalry continues for many years (although I'm sure one company would like to rule over the other but from what I see... it wont happen for a good while).
They already include it on all sports package equipped cars, and all cars in all countries aside from the U.S and Canada - so I would bet good money the '08's will all have them. Interestingly (and before anyone freaks I am not defending BMW's oil cooler decision), they mentioned the 335i his 280F oil temp but it didn't go any higher. So they actually were well within the normal operating temps for the car. Actually, in March they moved the middle of the oil temp dial so 260F was in the middle (as opposed to 220F), so people would stop freaking out when the needle sat at 260F

But ya, they should have just included it on all cars to begin with, so it wouldn't even be a talking point. Silly of them, but their mistake is Infiniti's victory.

I will make a prediction though: I think other mags like C&D, Edmunds, Automobile, Autoweek etc... will likely overlook the oil cooler thing. I don't think they should because I like seeing BMW taken to task for omitting it, but just making a prediction.

I will make a prediction though; I think other mags (
This article is crazy. It definitely leaves me with mixed impressions.

First off, if you look at the second page of the article(page50), there is a picture of the two cars under a viaduct in the late evening. I was looking at that picture, thinking to myself that the location looks just like this place I know; then I read the review, and see that the performed the review in and around Birmingham. I've taken pictures of my car in almost that exact same location. Sorry, but I think that's just plain cool. It's actually ironic; my dealer called me a few weeks ago stating they had the g37 in the service department for brake service, and that I could check it out(but no photos). Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the dealer before it left. I bet that was during or just after this review.

I'm pleased that the coupe pulled out the victory, but I am still disappointed. They recorded a time trap speed of 100.4, which incidentally, is at the exact same 1/4 track I frequent. My last trip there in ~70 degrees saw my only run net a 103.63mph. I have a hard time believing my meager 1st gen sedan is out-trapping the new 3.7L HR(with vvel) by 3mph, yet at peak I would be down about 25hp. That coupe must be a damned pig.

Though one thing the article didn't mention was the shifting properties of the BMW automatic tranny. It won't hold a gear(automatically upshifts at redline, even in sport mode), and it will automatically downshift when stabbed(also even in sport mode). I really didn't care for the auto tranny in the 335 I test drove.
The traps were low, I think we'll see them routinely higher in other tests/owner results. 100mph makes no sense from that engine.

RE: the tranny, afaik the G sedans is the same way, so the coupes will probably do the same thing (shift automatically at redline, and downshift when put into overdrive). I don't like it either, but I am more concerned with how quickly they shift.

Last edited by Picus; 06-25-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would still have the 335.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont you know that it's 200lbs heavier than the current G35 coupe? Of course the weight is going to be the culprit.
200lbs won't make that large of a difference. I've had 200 pound passengers in my car plenty of times at the drag strip. On poor runs I've run 5mph slower, but on better runs I've been within 1mph.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Oops I didn't mean forum... I meant this thread.
oh i thought you're inviting me here

so that magazine says the weight is 3770 lb's? i thought it was 3585 or something close to 3600 lb's.

does that mean the non-sport G37 will be faster than the sport ones?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
200lbs won't make that large of a difference. I've had 200 pound passengers in my car plenty of times at the drag strip. On poor runs I've run 5mph slower, but on better runs I've been within 1mph.
now you have 2 passengers. your passenger + infiniti's 200lb present!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!