General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

60k Service. What to service. What fluids to use.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
this is a first time I'm doing this too

I'm just planing to replace the fluids and that's it.
Not belts? Don't know the wear on Nissan (Infiniti) engine belts b/c I'm not there yet (only ran my VQ to 62k before selling). But at least you'd want to check your belts.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
this pretty much answered all my questions about doing my 30k. my last question would be generally how much fluid would i need. i assume 4qts for the ATF but i normally grab 6 qts when i do drain and flushes. i just never did a rear diff or transfer case so i dont know how much is normally needed
Updated my first post to keep all the info in one post.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Not belts? Don't know the wear on Nissan (Infiniti) engine belts b/c I'm not there yet (only ran my VQ to 62k before selling). But at least you'd want to check your belts.
I did check them.

They look like they are in good shape.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MidnightG35X,

Does the transfer case drain / fill plug use different size hex? The differentials are both 10mm hex.

This is from the manual for the transfer case.
Drain plug:
: 29.4 N·m (3.0 kg-m, 22 ft-lb)
Filler plug:
: 35 N·m (3.6 kg-m, 26 ft-lb)

Thanks...

Last edited by mikeee2; 04-06-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: My bad...that actually meant the torque itself.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
MidnightG35X,

Does the transfer case drain / fill plug use different size hex? The differentials are both 10mm hex.

This is from the manual for the transfer case.
Drain plug:
: 29.4 N·m (3.0 kg-m, 22 ft-lb)
Filler plug:
: 35 N·m (3.6 kg-m, 26 ft-lb)

Thanks...
I did the transfer case over a year ago now, but if I remember right it is different. It is 1/2" square drive for the drain plug I believe. Just use a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. Should fit right in. I think the fill plug is hex though, I just don't remember if it is 10mm, 12mm, or 14mm. 10mm would make the most sense, but I can't guarantee it. Torque values look correct

Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
I did the transfer case over a year ago now, but if I remember right it is different. It is 1/2" square drive for the drain plug I believe. Just use a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. Should fit right in. I think the fill plug is hex though, I just don't remember if it is 10mm, 12mm, or 14mm. 10mm would make the most sense, but I can't guarantee it. Torque values look correct
That's so weird. Why would they make it different size? The differentials I think are all 10mm's.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Is this the transfer case? I went under the car to check today...but if it is, where the heck is the drain/refill plug?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Is this the transfer case? I went under the car to check today...but if it is, where the heck is the drain/refill plug?

That looks like the transfer case, and the drain plug looks to be in the lower left of your picture. The drain plug is on the passenger side of the vehicle (lowest point on the transfer case) and the fill plug faces the back of the vehicle. It is on page TF-9 in the FSM.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
^ i think its right there, not 100% bottle circle right next to the flex section. the fill is facing the rear diff.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Midnightg35x and Turtle. I'll go under the car and take a better picture next time. Below is from the FSM.

Midnightg35x, did you had to apply the silicone rtv stuff as well?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Midnight35x,

Did you have to use a pump to fill the fluids for the transfer case? I know people use pump for the rear differential (I am assuming you have to use pump for front diff as well).

I bought a pump (see below) but wondering if I need 2 pumps since I probably don't want to use the same pump and mix in gear oil and matic d fluid on the same tubes. Or am I being too **** and I can probably just rinse out the tubes before refilling the transfer case / differentials?

This may sound weird but I have different funnels for windshield fluid, motor oil, atf, coolant, etc. Maybe I am just too paranoid.

Thanks...

Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i have 2 funnels, a long skinny tip and short and wide one. everything goes into them...

those hand pumps are like $5 so i guess you can buy as many as your want. normally on SUV you dont need pumps but on our cars you somewhat have to. I think the rear diff wouldn't need a pump but i haven't done it.

i'm still looking for redline fluids...

Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i have 2 funnels, a long skinny tip and short and wide one. everything goes into them...

those hand pumps are like $5 so i guess you can buy as many as your want. normally on SUV you dont need pumps but on our cars you somewhat have to. I think the rear diff wouldn't need a pump but i haven't done it.

i'm still looking for redline fluids...
The redlines are available at a store called SK-Speed in my area, otherwise I don't know of any other auto store that stocks them. I plan to get the Mobil 1 75w-90 for the differentials and Matic D for the Transfer.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes, I think I used RTV on the drain plug. Its been awhile since I had to do it I think that was only on the drain plug though. I used Permatex Gray I believe.

I did use a pump to fill both the diffs and the transfer case. As for separate pumps, you could go that route. If you clean out the original one good, I don't think you'll have too much of an issue though.

Only specialty shops carry redline fluids for the most part. They are not commercialized like Mobil, etc. Regular auto parts stores would generally only have water wetter, diesel water wetter, and maybe the SI-1 fuel injector cleaner. I wish I had a redline dealer close to me. Fluids are expensive to ship

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MATIC S AND j

Originally Posted by JOKER
there are few threads on this subject but none contain all of the information.

I went through several of them, found some info but some I did not.

So those of you that did 60k service or know anything about it share your info.

So for 60k service I'm mainly looking to replace fluids

Engine oil (I just changed two days ago)
Engine Coolant
Differential Oil
Brake Fluid

Do I need to replace
Power steering fluid
AT transmission fluid and filter

And what fluids I should use (brand and type)

Feel free to add stuff to the list or remove
*******i have a question, can you tell me if i can mix 7 quarts of matic j wit 3 quarts of matic s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 60k Service. What to service. What fluids to use.