General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Lifted on 4 jack stands. Is it safe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobalude
Did you need to use any adapters between the jackstands and the car body/jack points?
I jacked the rear first using the floor jack under the rear diff, put the jack stands on each side of the rear. I then put the scissor jack at the driverside mounting point (roughly under where the driver mirror is) and put the floor jack on the passenger side (same area). I took turns raising the front in small increments until it was high enough to get the front jack stands underneath. There was no need for any adapters as the jack and underside of the car are tongue and groove so to speak. Once on all four stands, I positioned both jacks front and rear in case the stands should fail.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I've had my car on 4 jacks for months now.... here's the kicker though that will surely trip some of you guys out.
The car's weight actually only rests on only 3 jacks, I was cleaning some bolts underneath the left rear side and accidentally bumped into one of the jacks and the fckin thing moved!!!!

do a test with an object like an iphone and place 4 items underneath it then take 1 out and it will still stay.

this however freaked me out enough to not wanna get underneath the car to swap my high flow cats which I had planned on doing, I will be going to a shop with a lift for it now

Old 11-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah it's all a balancing game. I once was an idiot and some of the stands were at different heights causing my car to teeter totter. At this point in time the some parts of the car were too high because it was leaning thus, my jack couldn't reach it. So it was just a big game of trying to figure out which ends needed to be jacked up, lowered, jacked up, etc. to let the car teeter back centered.

There will be one jack that may not have the full load of the car on it, but as long as you have 4 where they're supposed to be and all level, if one gets messed up the others will catch it. If you're even more paranoid throw some bricks or wood under the tires while it's in the air so that for whatever reason anything happens it lands on the bricks/wood. Rather mess up the car than any other possibility right?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
There was no weight on my left rear stand either. You don't know how many times I grabbed the rear wheel and tugged the car to see if it would move before I went under. It felt solid although that didn't ease any anxiety I might have had. Turns out I had forgotten a friend of mine has a walk under bay (don't know exactly the right term) at his house. I'll go there next time.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So why not construct your own set of ramps? If the car's ground clearance is roughly 5-6 inches and ramps like mine give you 6 inches of lift, you have roughly 1 foot as a minimum clearance from the lowest part of the car to the ground. If that isn't sufficient, check this out: http://www.discountramps.com/portable-pit-stop.htm

Costs a pretty penny but it lifts the car 14"...

Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 PM
More like Outofmybudgetramps.com

Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plonka
More like Outofmybudgetramps.com
Like I said, cost a pretty penny. That's why I built my own ramps.. Frankly I'd trust my own ramps over the Rhino ramps any day. As for those $$$ ramps, I don't see the need...

Maybe one of these days I'll trust the 2 sets of Sears 6-ton jack stands I have and go under my G or my Odyssey when I'm using them.