General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Second hand G issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011 | 02:19 AM
|
Second hand G issues

Back in early april, I saved enough money and bought a second hand G35 coupe. I have always loved these cars and stare out my window and smile knowing I actually own it! But lately I have had a few problems with it.I managed to resolve one I think. The car has 96 000 miles. I had a problem starting it 2 weeks ago. I just heard a single click, not a dead battery click. Everything else on the car would work, but it would not attempt to fire. I poked the starter and it fired one last time! So i drove her to this guy I know, shop. He said the ground wire on the solenoid valve on starter was lose or something.. He said I should replace the starter but I said id drive it till it gave. 3 days ago it made the single click and did not fire. tried 3 more times, did not fire. 5th time she went went. I took it back to the shop and i got a new starter and it installed for $335. It seems to be starting great now. So I think I fixed that one. The other one is, when I have my xenon lights on, all the lights on the dash don't work. The area with the compass and the other read outs don't light up ether. But the radio is playing, and the interior lights work and same with all the exterior lights. When I get low fuel that light comes on, but nothing around it. When I have my day time running lights on, it lights up. I have tired tightening battery termanels, checked the fuses. Also the trunk wont open with fob, but can still hear a noise. I red that its a wire in the door thats split, maybe if someone can confirm that as well.

Even with all this, I love this car to death

Old 07-31-2011 | 01:54 PM
|
bump

Anyone? I spent the last few weeks searching on this site for people posting similar symptoms, but nothing they tried worked. Any input welcome!

Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2011 | 04:29 PM
Could be just the dimmer. It's beside the switch to open the trunk. I hope it is as simple as that.

Old 07-31-2011 | 04:40 PM
ewww, electrical gremlins... My only advice is to take it to Infiniti. Those guys know thier ess. It's quite possible the problem with the starter wasn't the starter and now its just showing somewhere else. Poor diagnostics is pretty common at non dealership shops. At least pony up to have Infiniti diagnose it.

Old 08-01-2011 | 03:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by MyGeeeee35
ewww, electrical gremlins... My only advice is to take it to Infiniti. Those guys know thier ess. It's quite possible the problem with the starter wasn't the starter and now its just showing somewhere else. Poor diagnostics is pretty common at non dealership shops. At least pony up to have Infiniti diagnose it.
I wanted to avoid infiniti , just because of the costs.

Originally Posted by firefox
Could be just the dimmer. It's beside the switch to open the trunk. I hope it is as simple as that.
It was the dimmer, I feel like such a idiot. Wow.. Thanks alot! Thats 2 problems down, one to go! Now if I can just get that trunk to open with the fob. Iv seen that page around here somewhere, so Ill do some digging.

I love this forum!

Last edited by xXThirty-FiveXx; 08-01-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2011 | 07:34 PM
Congrats on the free fix!! Love it when it works out like that.
Good luck on the trunk!

Old 08-02-2011 | 04:21 PM
Hmm... trunk won't open with the fob? Does it open from the switch inside the car?

Maybe a bad transmitter? I would try cleaning the internals of your transmitter with an eraser, maybe it's just buggered up.

Old 08-02-2011 | 05:52 PM
for the trunk, check to see if the valet trunk switch in the glove box is off.

Old 08-02-2011 | 05:54 PM
oh man. your starter issue was classic for a bad solenoid. I wish you posted earlier, could have saved you a few bucks!

Old 08-02-2011 | 06:35 PM
|
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
Hmm... trunk won't open with the fob? Does it open from the switch inside the car?

Maybe a bad transmitter? I would try cleaning the internals of your transmitter with an eraser, maybe it's just buggered up.
The switch from the inside wont work to open the trunk. I have to pull the red strap and lower my back seats and pull the plastic piece to open my trunk.

Originally Posted by DHCrocks
for the trunk, check to see if the valet trunk switch in the glove box is off.
its on. good suggestion though!

Old 08-03-2011 | 01:55 AM
Seems like broken wires in the trunk lid harness are a fairly common problem. It makes sense if you consider these wires get bent 90 degrees every time you open the trunk... You've found the threads. Here is how one member summed it up:

Probably one or more broken wires in the wiring harness. Open the trunk lid by using the "emergency manual release pull" accessed through the back seat.

The wiring harness is on the right side near the trunk hinge (enclosed in a black rubber sheathing).

The hinge can pinch the harness and break the wires. I had a couple of wires broken, including the trunk release and trunk light...

Good luck

Larry
Not sure what year your car is but here's a pic - #7 is the black rubber bit. Hope that's the answer!

Attached Thumbnails Second hand G issues-trunklid.jpg