General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Shorted reverse light, Now car won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Did the car stall when you shorted it out?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Old 12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you very much. Check them for what, shortage? The ECU hasn't been touched. I created a short in the reverse lamp wire while the car was engaged in reverse and running. First just the shift selector display went blank, now all the gauges have as well. You think the ECU may have been effected?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by PAIXAO
Did the car stall when you shorted it out?
No, the car is an automatic, the vehicle remained on. Once turned off it would not restart.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts
Again man, before you get into testing the black boxes and senor signals look at ALL the fuses. On our 05 there are at least 3 fuses and/or "fusible links" involved in the back-up lights and these also share power with other things, including the CAN box and "instrument" lights. Makes sense, right? If your computers don't see power at each point they expect it then they may prevent the car from starting and throw you a code. It would be nice if the code said "check fuse 86 in the engine compartment" but the message is sometimes confusing.
Sorry I don't know '03 well enough to tell you exactly where to look but a simple short as you described should blow a fuse before doing any serious damage... Just my opinion, keep digging.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 PM
+1

There has got tl be a fuse blown somewhere.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
Again man, before you get into testing the black boxes and senor signals look at ALL the fuses. On our 05 there are at least 3 fuses and/or "fusible links" involved in the back-up lights and these also share power with other things, including the CAN box and "instrument" lights. Makes sense, right? If your computers don't see power at each point they expect it then they may prevent the car from starting and throw you a code. It would be nice if the code said "check fuse 86 in the engine compartment" but the message is sometimes confusing.
Sorry I don't know '03 well enough to tell you exactly where to look but a simple short as you described should blow a fuse before doing any serious damage... Just my opinion, keep digging.
That's what my mechanic said on the phone. I literally pulled every fuse this morning and they all seemed solid. I'm going to check again and maybe use a magnifying glass or something. Thank you again for your input. Been a real bummer. That car ran like a dream. I hope this doesn't end up being the beginning of nagging electrical problems.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Here are a couple pics from the '03 owner's manual (found it online). The first box to look at is the one next to the battery. Not easy to get at but this box includes some of the most essential fuses plus relays and some "fusible links" which are like the heavy duty fuses.
Second pic is the passenger compartment box with a good description of what to look for (and where the fuse puller is!)
Hope you can solve the mystery.

Attached Thumbnails Shorted reverse light, Now car won't start!!!-03fusebox1.jpg   Shorted reverse light, Now car won't start!!!-03fusebox2.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM
I just read this posting about a user that had identical problems and ran diagnostics and it ended up being the ACC fuse according him. He says that the fuse is "behind the battery" though. Can anybody help me out here? Where exactly should the ACC fuse be on a 03 G35 Sedan? link to thread https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ont-start.html

Last edited by TwilightSedan; 12-05-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Update: There is a third fuse box hidden behind the battery and under the windshield weather lining. On the 03 Sedan it's is the first fuse from the top in the left column labeled AT Cont. It was blown, changed it. Car started right up. My display is still out though. I guess the car starting fine is a pretty good sign though. Wondering why the display is still blank now though. The research continues. G35driver can be one hell of a mechanic.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Instrument cluster is completely out. All the fuses in all three fuse boxes have been checked and working now. Car still showing codes p0462 and p0650. No gauges work but car drive in limp mode. At this point I'm wondering if a ECU reset is in order. Also, do you think a manual ECU reset would resolve this problem?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM
PAIXAO, can you please let your brother know that I found the AT Cont fuse was out in the hidden fuse box behind the battery. The car starts now but the instrument panel is out showing the p0650 and the p0462. The car also drives in limp mode. Thanks man.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
bump that junk

Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Fixed the problem. One of the major issues coming across threads with these codes and problems is people never reported back with their fix. Here was mine. I shorted the reverse light wire while the vehicle was on. The car would not start. This blew the AT Cont fuse in the hidden third fuse box located behind the battery, not in front of it. It is the first fuse on the left column in the 03 sedan. Then eventually this malfunction caused the "Meter" fuse within the interior kick panel fuse box to blow as well putting out the entire instrument cluster. When I changed the AT Cont the car started in limp mode. When I changed the meter fuse, the cluster came back to life. The car works perfectly now.

Codes that showed as a result of those two blown fuses.
U1000 - NISSAN - CAN Communication Line - Signal Malfunction
U1001 - Controller Area Network (CAN) communication problem.
P0650 - DTC P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit
This seems like a legit code indicating a blown fuse for the instrument cluster.
P0462 - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR LOW VOLTAGE
Comes to show that these codes could be the result of the fault not the cause. Remember what you did to cause it. In my case I knew it was electrical, not fuel related.

Cleared codes and so far they haven't come up again now, when fuses were blown codes would not clear. I learned not to panic and count on fuses protecting your electronics in the event of a short. There you go, that's my write up for the next bystander that has to go through this ordeal. Hope it helps you out.

Thanks to PAIXAO and 05_SkylineSedan for your help.

Last edited by TwilightSedan; 12-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
theobcanada (11-12-2017)
Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Excellent results! Glad you solved the mystery and got your machine back on the road! Yeah, there are fuses all over the place but in this case they actually did what they were supposed to do. Not easy to trace either, and the codes can be confusing at times, but thankfully it wasn't anything more serious.
Thanks for the followup report too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shorted reverse light, Now car won't start!!!