General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Front Diff + Transfer Case Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Front Diff + Transfer Case Fluid Change

So I had everything setup to change out the fluid on the front differential and transfer case. I soon found out that it's fairly difficult to get to the fill plug on the front diff and that the car has to be jacked pretty darn high to get to the transfer case.

So has anyone pulled off either of these DIY tasks? What tools did you use for the front diff job?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:49 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mide
So I had everything setup to change out the fluid on the front differential and transfer case. I soon found out that it's fairly difficult to get to the fill plug on the front diff and that the car has to be jacked pretty darn high to get to the transfer case.

So has anyone pulled off either of these DIY tasks? What tools did you use for the front diff job?
Yes, you're going to want the car high enough to maneuver down there. To do the front diff you will need an extension or two and a 10mm hex socket. The transfer case may require you to reseal with RTV, so have some of that on hand. Don't forget the transfer case takes matic j/s compatible fluid, not gear oil.