General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

No crank, no start. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012 | 05:06 PM
|
No crank, no start. Please help!!!

2003 g35 coupe 6 m/t 76k miles

Yesterday i went to start my car and i go to start it, nothing. No crank and it wont start. So I checked all the fuses (near clutch + under hood), all good. I tried pop starting it and it started right up and I drove home. (tested the battery 12.59 volts and the alternator at 14.8 and with a load [headlights, heat, radio] it went down to 14.4). So i ruled out it couldnt be a bad battery nor a bad alternator. no corrosion around the battery terminals. I decided to buy a new starter today, put it in and went to start the car– nothing. No crank no start still. so i pop started it again, runs like a champ. serpentine belt is good all the pulleys run strong. Not the anti-theft car alarm because it recognizes the key. So Im pretty much clueless from here.... anyone have any ideas? In the box with the new starter was a bulletin staying if you have no crank no start and have these symptoms, then you need a new IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) and for my year the part number was 284B7-AL51B.

BOTTOM LINE
-No crank no start
-not the starter, alternator, battery, fuses, car alarm
-could be the starter relay located in the IPDM, but how do i check a relay? if it was bad wouldnt it be clicking when i try to start it and the engine 'attempts' to roll over?

what else could it be?! is it the IPDM? any advice would be greatly appreciated

-thanks!

here is the bulletin i was referring to.

Last edited by bdubct; 12-24-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2012 | 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by bdubct
2003 g35 coupe 6 m/t 76k miles

Yesterday i went to start my car and i go to start it, nothing. No crank and it wont start. So I checked all the fuses (near clutch + under hood) and i checked the relay, all good. I tried pop starting it and it started right up and I drove home. (tested the battery 12.59 volts and the alternator at 14.8 and with a load [headlights, heat, radio] it went down to 14.4). So i ruled out it couldnt be a bad battery nor a bad alternator. no corrosion around the battery terminals. I decided to buy a new starter today, put it in and went to start the car– nothing. No crank no start still. so i pop started it again, runs like a champ. serpentine belt is good all the pulleys run strong. Not the anti-theft car alarm because it recognizes the key. So Im pretty much clueless from here.... anyone have any ideas? In the box with the new starter was a bulletin staying if you have no crank no start and have these symptoms, then you need a new IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) and for my year the part number was 284B7-AL51B.

BOTTOM LINE
-No crank no start
-not the starter, alternator, battery, fuses, relays, car alarm

what else could it be?! is it the IPDM? any advice would be greatly appreciated

-thanks!

here is the bulletin i was referring to.

inspect and just the clutch pedal fully pressed switch. If all is ok there, disconnect the switch and put a wire across the two terminals of the wiring harness - this will effectively bypass the switch and allow you to start the car as if the pedal is pressed down. Make sure you are in neutral.

Old 12-24-2012 | 06:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by bythabay
inspect and just the clutch pedal fully pressed switch. If all is ok there, disconnect the switch and put a wire across the two terminals of the wiring harness - this will effectively bypass the switch and allow you to start the car as if the pedal is pressed down. Make sure you are in neutral.

what switch? the starter relay in the IPDM under the hood?

Last edited by bdubct; 12-24-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: specified my question.
Old 12-24-2012 | 08:05 PM
what switch? the starter relay in the IPDM under the hood?
This switch is attached to the clutch pedal assembly. If you look at the assembly, you will see that when the pedal is pushed down all the way to the floor, it presses on a switch.

Old 12-24-2012 | 11:43 PM
Try having a local shop run a VAT40 test on the battery/charging system. Its pretty simple and will give you a 100% accurate look at the condition of the whole charging system. As far as the TSB is concerned I would call for more specifics since the G35 isnt listed on it.

Old 12-25-2012 | 12:01 AM
|
This switch is attached to the clutch pedal assembly. If you look at the assembly, you will see that when the pedal is pushed down all the way to the floor, it presses on a switch.
ill try it tomorrow and let you know. there is some snow so ill be lazy to go outside lol. thanks and ill keep you posted!

Old 12-25-2012 | 12:03 AM
|
Originally Posted by livinglegend
Try having a local shop run a VAT40 test on the battery/charging system. Its pretty simple and will give you a 100% accurate look at the condition of the whole charging system. As far as the TSB is concerned I would call for more specifics since the G35 isnt listed on it.

what is a VAT40??

Old 12-25-2012 | 12:09 AM
Old 12-25-2012 | 10:04 AM
|
Originally Posted by livinglegend
tested, ruled out battery/ alternator problem.

Old 12-25-2012 | 10:36 AM
If its a relay thats in the IPDM just swap it around with another one in there, there's like 4 relays that are the same, yes if the relay you pull is bad something else wont work but at least if the car turns over you now know for sure its a relay. Also be careful that IPDM is not cheap if you damage the unit (if its not already messed up)

Old 12-25-2012 | 01:34 PM
|
Originally Posted by lilindienplaya
If its a relay thats in the IPDM just swap it around with another one in there, there's like 4 relays that are the same, yes if the relay you pull is bad something else wont work but at least if the car turns over you now know for sure its a relay. Also be careful that IPDM is not cheap if you damage the unit (if its not already messed up)
you sure theyre the same relays? and yeah its like 500$$$$

Old 12-25-2012 | 06:07 PM
if they're the same color yes they're the same.

Old 12-25-2012 | 06:33 PM
|
Originally Posted by lilindienplaya
if they're the same color yes they're the same.
thanks ill try that

Old 12-25-2012 | 07:12 PM
|

FOUND THE FIX! thanks to "bythebay"

oh well, at least i didnt replace the idpm, wasted 120$ on a new starter but at least my car will crank good now lol. thanks for all the input

Old 12-26-2012 | 08:56 AM
FOUND THE FIX! thanks to "bythebay"

oh well, at least i didnt replace the idpm, wasted 120$ on a new starter but at least my car will crank good now lol. thanks for all the input

Thanks for the pics. & info. This is good to know!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No crank, no start. Please help!!!