General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radiator Replacement

Hey guys,

I need to replace my radiator ASAP. I am planning on buying a new aftermarket one this week, but I want to hear your opinion first.

I drive a 2005 Infiniti G35 sedan AT. The fans get loud sometimes, so I assumed the engine is overheating. I started noticing coolant leak under the radiator. A mechanic checked it and said this not the right radiator (I bought it as a used car. I don't know what the previous owner did). He said I need to replace the radiator. Now, I am looking at several radiators online. My budget is below $150, because the mechanic is charging me $50 to replace the radiator. I don't know which radiator to get. Here are my options:

1- http://goo.gl/S36tVb
2- http://goo.gl/1QHyZf
3- http://goo.gl/hFWqZs
4- http://goo.gl/FQ4doh
5- http://goo.gl/hjN88J
6- http://goo.gl/uLhx7Z

Which one do you recommend? Please help! I would really appreciate it!

Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
These threads make me sad.

How did you get yourself into a situation where you can't afford to fix your car properly? Why did you buy this car if you don't even have $200 for an autozone or O'Reilly radiator? I don't mean to be a d!ck (OK, I kinda do), but you need to sell this car and buy a civic. Something where transmission cost $37 and radiators cost $12. What did you expect when you bought a 10+ yr old "luxury" vehicle? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Did you just expect it to be flawless? That nothing on a popularly modded car would be in need of attention and expense? $150, man? A single tire can cost more than that on these cars. Radiators are a top top vital part of your engines overall health. You can't expect us to guide you toward a $73 eBay piece of ****. C'mon, man.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
rockcity auto.com
same brandnames as your local parts store but cost half as less

The following users liked this post:
Phenomenon9 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
ScraggleRock is a dick to everyone, you'll get use to him.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogbone
rockcity auto.com
same brandnames as your local parts store but cost half as less
rockauto.com?

And try Amazon too...check the reviews...and then cross reference to e-Bay for better prices on the same brand. Personally, if you're going to replace it - just send the extra cash on a good one. Buy once, cry once.

Phenomenon9 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
These threads make me sad.

How did you get yourself into a situation where you can't afford to fix your car properly? Why did you buy this car if you don't even have $200 for an autozone or O'Reilly radiator? I don't mean to be a d!ck (OK, I kinda do), but you need to sell this car and buy a civic. Something where transmission cost $37 and radiators cost $12. What did you expect when you bought a 10+ yr old "luxury" vehicle? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Did you just expect it to be flawless? That nothing on a popularly modded car would be in need of attention and expense? $150, man? A single tire can cost more than that on these cars. Radiators are a top top vital part of your engines overall health. You can't expect us to guide you toward a $73 eBay piece of ****. C'mon, man.
dead. LOL

Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
+1 on the rockauto.com.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:28 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
To all of your surprise EBay $75 pos radiator is manufactured by same guys who sell you $200 radiator at Autozone. It's time to jump off the "you get what you pay" wagon and jump on "everything is made in China" wagon.
If you getting a generic brand parts, you can bet your a$s they are no better than any stuff you buy online.
Btw I bought my genuine exoticspeed exhaust on eBay. So the idea that everything is crap in eBay is so 1999.

What most concerns me is how does your mechanic know it's a wrong radiator? Did he point at things and named names?
To say "it's leaking cuz it's wrong radiator" does not exactly diagnose the problem. Wrong how? Wrong size hoses and not installed all the way? Is there a crack in the radiator? Is it banging on something?

I'd be more concerned with mechanic than with a radiator.

Phenomenon9 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 12:38 AM
@ScraggleRock: I'm not gonna waste time and reply to your unnecessary comment. Go seek attention somewhere else.
@Hogbone: I never knew about this website. It's cheaper than eBay. I love it! Thanks a lot!
@Benja455: That's exactly what I am doing.
@JOKER: Thank you! Finally someone said it. I checked AutoZone's website. I got the part number and research it online. I am not gonna buy some unknown part. I'm just trying to get the part at a lower price, because why pay more when it's available for less somewhere else? Thank you for your input. The mechanic that diagnosed it said the radiator I have does not fit right, which causes a leak. I am taking it to a different mechanic tomorrow; a friend that I trust. He will replace the ball joint, and I will ask him to elaborate on the radiator issue. I haven't bought the radiator yet. I want to be sure what the issue is before I buy anything.

I will keep you posted guy. I appreciate the help. Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2015, 02:21 AM
You don't have to respond to my comment, but I'll tell you right now that my advice is much more sound and useful in a long term economic sense than anyone else's here (harsh as it may seem). Listen, don't listen; no skin off my back. However, if you listen to me you'll thank me in 2 years. Listen to them and you'll feel better right now. Again, no skin off my back.

Go ahead and continue to sink money into a car that you merely find amusing. As long as it makes you look like you can afford to spend $200 at the drop of a hat right? Not insulting you, my friend, simply trying to instill into you some wisdom.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:55 AM
Well, if you care and trying to advise me, lemme tell you something...
This is my first car, and it's a temporary car. I am planning on selling it by next year. I use it to go to work and university, nothing more. I am not racing or drifting. Why should I spend more than few hundreds on it if I am not planning on keeping it? As long as the part I am getting fixes the issue, I should not worry. Plus I am not getting the cheapest parts. I buy decent parts. That's why I posted on this forum. I wanted someone to advise me on which brand to buy. And FYI, friends are telling me not waste any money on it or get the cheapest parts, since I am going to sell it, but I choose to ignore them. Anyway, thanks for the good intentions.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:26 AM
That's exactly what I thought.

The reason you do it correctly is because men dont fukc people by screwing others with **** that's gonna break 20 days after its sold. You took on a responsibility, and you've accepted a responsibility to the next person who buys YOUR car. Work hard, take hits, do it right, and take responsibility. Don't pass your problems on to someone else.

Unless of course you're willing to tell the next buyer every detail about how you've taken (lack of) care of the car

Old 11-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I knew since it's a luxury car and 10 years old problems will happen, but I wanted a unique, fast car. Friends and family told me to get a Camry or Civic, but I told them hell no! I wanted a car that I enjoy driving.

That is exactly how I think. I am planning on selling it once I fix everything, so the buyer doesn't complain about anything once they inspect it. By the way, they mechanic replaced ball joints yesterday and I asked him to inspect the radiator, so I know the exact cause of the leak. He said the plastic part of the bottom of the radiator is broken and that causes leak, so I need a new radiator. He will replace it next weekend.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Phenomenon9
Yeah, I knew since it's a luxury car and 10 years old problems will happen, but I wanted a unique, fast car. Friends and family told me to get a Camry or Civic, but I told them hell no! I wanted a car that I enjoy driving.

That is exactly how I think. I am planning on selling it once I fix everything, so the buyer doesn't complain about anything once they inspect it. By the way, they mechanic replaced ball joints yesterday and I asked him to inspect the radiator, so I know the exact cause of the leak. He said the plastic part of the bottom of the radiator is broken and that causes leak, so I need a new radiator. He will replace it next weekend.
Then good on you! Much respek!

Seriously. As long as you're doing the right thing, I have nothing but respect. Didn't mean to come down so hard, I just had the wrong idea. Sorry.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks! No need to be; it was just a misunderstanding. It was nice talking to you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radiator Replacement