General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

6mt conversion question regarding actual chassis

Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt conversion question regarding actual chassis

Hey guys new user here sorry for possibly not asking in the right spot etc.

I just sold my skyline and I'm after a new winter beater. Was thinking an early g35 sedan would work nicely. However, they're old now and most cars in my area are up around the 300,000km mark. from what i understand the vq is getting pretty tired at that point in most cases.

I would prefer a manual trans but for a manual trans I'm paying at least $3000cad for one with 300k km or more. The auto trans are significantly cheaper. I can grab one for $1000 with like 180-200k on it.

So walking around the local junker there is a crashed g35 with the 6speed all complete, they want next to nothing for the parts. and I've done a few conversions (mostly 240's and skylines) however everyone really just says itll cost too much and buy a 6spd car.

Is there anything really different between the 2 cars? I saw 1 person say the tunnels were different and the trans physically didnt fit but no one else backed him up. If its a thing of cost then I'll buy an auto and convert, the cost for the parts including the tranny was only $300 for everything. But if i have to cut and weld/modify te tunnels its really not something I want to get into.

Anyone have any insight?