General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

The Famous "slip" and "vdc off" lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Famous "slip" and "vdc off" lights

Okay so here we go! Before I start I understand that this topic is in multiple threads, but as far as I have seen no one has posted about the problems I am having and these lights being on can cover a variety of problems anywhere from camshaft sensors to abs sensors.

I have an 03 4dr G35, I would say it's been pretty heavily modified, but I'll get to that later. My problem I am having is this, I start the car I roll about 20 feet sometimes longer and the slip and vdc lights come on (no SES light meaning no code to read) I'm usually very good at diagnosing and fixing the problem. The chassis has 187k on it but has a fresh motor and tranny that I have had no problems with. I have looked all over the threads over the past week and have found nothing that pertains to the same problems I am having.

Yes the brakes are good, yes the fluid is in check, yes I have bigger wheels (19" Volk GTC 9.5" front 10.5" rear) but they have been on for over 4 yrs with no problems, the brake lights work , no blown fuses, and I could go on. the interior is far from oem.

Today was a little different the lights didn't come on right away instead I got going and the car bogged down like it was loosing traction with the slip light blinking. Then the slip and vdc lights came on like they have been doing and it drove fine no loss of power, but the lights still on. So this leads me to believe it's a speed/abs sensors on front wheels or rear axles?!

So my question is has anyone had this problem? Or something similar? I can't bring the car anywhere until next week, but if Someone has had an issue like this or has an idea I can share more technicals about the car.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by J_buwalda; 09-20-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Stock tires/wheels? If not post specs. Also, if yo think it's the wheel speed sensors consider taking them out and inspecting, and checking wiring. The FSM likely has resistance values for them.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Stock tires/wheels? If not post specs. Also, if yo think it's the wheel speed sensors consider taking them out and inspecting, and checking wiring. The FSM likely has resistance values for them.
i do have 19" volks GTCs i updated the post. also i have visually inspected the sensors and the wiring when i had it on the lift everything looked fine, but i couldnt find ohm values so i did not test them. ill try the FSM. thanks

Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM
I experience the SAME issue and have the same exact model of car you have. It sounds as if your cam shaft senor(s) may be going bad? I just had to have both of mine replaced and unfortunately it temporarily fixed the issue but one of them registered as faulty so now I am trying to figure out if it is the camshaft sensor itself that is faulty or wiring, ex.... Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Okay you are correct about the cam shaft sensors doing the same thing, but usually you would get a CEL and be able to pull the code. i have however found the problem i just have been to busy to post about it. So my car is pretty heavily modded so at one point my clock spring was taken off while i extended wires and put in my new momo wheel. if the steering angle sensor that is on the backside of the clockspring turns or is taken off then you will experience this problem. The abs system thinks the cars wheels are turned at 30+ deg to the left (im just throwing out a number) so it bogs down for a second, screeches the tires a bit, then the slip and vdc lights appear and the car is good to go. The downfall for some im sure is that fact you dont have abs until the sensor is reset at an alignment place or the sensor gets replaced. So all this to say when i gert into my car i turn my steering wheel all the way to the left (could be to the right for others) the lights come on and the car drives fine. i just havnt had time to go to the alignment shop.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Unfortunately, only Nissan/Infiniti dealer can reset your SAS using the Consult II which is worth over 10k. Been there done that. GL