General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Engine oil exploded from under the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine oil exploded from under the engine

Hi guys, just bought a 05 AT G35 a couple months back. Car had overheating issues on long distance trips but recently had started heating after 10-15 of normal driving, as I was going home from school I noticed that my car was revving unusually high and bearly accelerating as if it was on neutral. I made it to a nearby gas station which point the hood was filled with smoke. I let the car cool down then I checked under the car and it seemed like the whole bottom of the car was splashed with oil. I had to remove the car from the lot so I proceeded to turn on the car and so it did, as I saw more oil spoiling from under the car. I turned it off and towed it back home. I have no idea what happened, I recently fell into debt so I'm trying my best to use my money as wisely as possible, please note that I'm 17 and new into the car world. Also, I do want to mention that the heater never worked for some reason and there was a coolant leak to which I always made sure to topp off to make sure, thanks in advance and feel free to contact me @972-595-7990 for more info. Thanks a lot G35 community

Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Aldaco1996
Hi guys, just bought a 05 AT G35 a couple months back. Car had overheating issues on long distance trips but recently had started heating after 10-15 of normal driving, as I was going home from school I noticed that my car was revving unusually high and bearly accelerating as if it was on neutral. I made it to a nearby gas station which point the hood was filled with smoke. I let the car cool down then I checked under the car and it seemed like the whole bottom of the car was splashed with oil. I had to remove the car from the lot so I proceeded to turn on the car and so it did, as I saw more oil spoiling from under the car. I turned it off and towed it back home. I have no idea what happened, I recently fell into debt so I'm trying my best to use my money as wisely as possible, please note that I'm 17 and new into the car world. Also, I do want to mention that the heater never worked for some reason and there was a coolant leak to which I always made sure to topp off to make sure, thanks in advance and feel free to contact me @972-595-7990 for more info. Thanks a lot G35 community
Sorry to hear.

First of all in my opinion an Infiniti is not a good choice for a student especially one that is seventeen years old unless the bank of Mom and Dad is going to purchase a brand new one for you for being such a good student after your HS graduation. The new one comes with all new parts and a warranty.

So you purchased an almost thirteen year old vehicle a few months ago and didn't think it was important to pay an Infiniti dealer perhaps a few hundred dollars to thoroughly inspect the vehicle, run the VIN number and give you a complete service and possible accident history of your pending purchase prior to shelling out your hard earned money. Did your parents offer you any advice?

Don't feel bad because this was a lesson that I learned when I purchased my first POS used 1958 Ford vehicle at eighteen years old. I didn't listen to my dad (RIP) but I did learn an important lesson.

Name:  My%201958%20POS%20Ford_zpsxoqyprre.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  33.1 KB

I no longer purchase used vehicles and have not for many many years

Good luck to you as I see another vehicle in your future. Consider a Honda as they are much cheaper to own and maintain as a student.

Telcoman

Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Sorry to hear.

First of all in my opinion an Infiniti is not a good choice for a student especially one that is seventeen years old unless the bank of Mom and Dad is going to purchase a brand new one for you for being such a good student after your HS graduation. The new one comes with all new parts and a warranty.

So you purchased an almost thirteen year old vehicle a few months ago and didn't think it was important to pay an Infiniti dealer perhaps a few hundred dollars to thoroughly inspect the vehicle, run the VIN number and give you a complete service and possible accident history of your pending purchase prior to shelling out your hard earned money. Did your parents offer you any advice?

Don't feel bad because this was a lesson that I learned when I purchased my first POS used 1958 Ford vehicle at eighteen years old. I didn't listen to my dad (RIP) but I did learn an important lesson.

I no longer purchase used vehicles and have not for many many years

Good luck to you as I see another vehicle in your future. Consider a Honda as they are much cheaper to own and maintain as a student.

Telcoman
My parents did in fact warn me of this particular vehicle an I as a stubborn 17 year old I am refused to listen as this car was the only one I wanted. Indeed I have learned a hard lesson on this one but my main concern now is to get it up and running. I paid 9000.00 for it saving up and now that I look back I think it could have been better spent on college, but we live and we learn. Hopefully another fellow g35 owner may have had a similar problem and might give me some advice before I look for a mechanic. Thanks Telcoman.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
if the oil is just splashing out as soon as you start the car, start simply.. it could be the oil filter became loose. did you hear a loud noise before the oil spillage started? the car starts right up?

you need to get under the car and take a look at several things. grab some buddies that understand car mechanics and have access to some tools. get a floor jack and jack stands. put the car up on them safely supported and go under to take a look.

whatever you do, be careful under the car. there's no room to live under there.

and $9k is lot to spend on a first car.. my g35 coupe was less than $5k but I'm able to do any work on it myself (and do all the time..)

good luck

Old 06-15-2017, 03:14 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Lol, aahhh, man..

first of all, why would you have not fixed the car when you noticed it was overheating in the first place? Did you not know that overheating is bad? I mean...you do know that excessive heat in literally any aspect of life is a bad thing right? You don't even need car knowledge for this kind of sense.

OK, second, no, if you don't have enough sense to know that too much heat is bad, the money is not better spent on college. Unfortunately, what "they" don't tell you is that information is worthless unless you're willing to absorb it.

third, I have a hard time believing that you actually did learn a lesson from this. You cannot realistically own this car. You have no car knowledge, you don't have the money and you don't have the experience.

the best thing you can do (and this is real af advice), is to take a loss, sell it for what you can get from it (a certain amount of knowledge is needed for this too, so that's where you should focus any following questions), learn some car maintenance basics and get a Toyota or Honda. Don't screw it up.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:42 AM
Wow lol, some of you guys just like to bash on people's problems. Thanks epik for your advice I will definitely be taking a look under there and see if that was the case, I will ad that I did have it serviced at a local kwiki lube places that are notorious for ****ing up people's cars. Just to clarify, I appreciate all you guys responses and your time for replying to my question, sincerely there's no need to bash on me for not knowing all this stuff about car's and thus why is why I'm here at the forums looking for help. Luckily I've received many scholarships so I don't think there's nothing to discuss about my education. For the overheating issue, my local mechanic stated that just to make sure I always had enough coolant and if it overheated just to pull over and let the car cool down ( which I already knew) needless to say, the car had not overheated when the oil problem happened. Thank you guys for your time and advice.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Are you seriously playing some pity party victim game? No ones bashing you, I'm trying to tell you to be more responsible. You've got a real manipulative attitude, and that's probably how you convinced your parents to let you get this **** in the first place; by telling them they were bashing on your decisions until they gave in and let you make a stupid choice

next time you seek advice from an "expert" (aka your mechanic), make sure you do some due diligence and be certain that you can question what he's talking about. Your car should NEVER overheat and you shouldn't have to worry about topping it off regardless of anything (with the exception of some long term maintenance regimes)..

won't even start on your sentence structure, but if you have so many 'scholarships' why did you even mention using the money for college?

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 06-15-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Wow lol, some of you guys just like to bash on people's problems. Thanks epik for your advice I will definitely be taking a look under there and see if that was the case, I will ad that I did have it serviced at a local kwiki lube places that are notorious for ****ing up people's cars. Just to clarify, I appreciate all you guys responses and your time for replying to my question, sincerely there's no need to bash on me for not knowing all this stuff about car's and thus why is why I'm here at the forums looking for help. Luckily I've received many scholarships so I don't think there's nothing to discuss about my education. For the overheating issue, my local mechanic stated that just to make sure I always had enough coolant and if it overheated just to pull over and let the car cool down ( which I already knew) needless to say, the car had not overheated when the oil problem happened. Thank you guys for your time and advice.
Aldaco

You've been given some good advice but enlist a friend that has some knowledge and tools
Do not start your vehicle
Go purchase five quarts of 5w-30 oil, an oil filter for your vehicle, and a crush washer for the drain plug. You will also need a proper end cap wrench for the oil filter.
Jack up each front wheel & put a ramp under the wheels and jack stands
Crawl under the vehicle and if you can loosen the oil filter by hand that is most likely your problem. Remove the drain plug (I hope that is still there) and drain your oil into a suitable container. Replace your oil filter, tighten as tight as you can by hand and then tighten another 1/8 to 1/4 turn with the wrench. Replace the drain plug (Mine is 14mm) with the new crush washer fill with the 5 quarts of oil. While still on the ramps attempt to start your vehicle. If it starts get your butt under the vehicle to make sure nothing is leaking.
If the a$$hole at kwiki lube didn't fvck up the threads on the oil filter or drain plug you should be good to go.

Name:  MyPictures103107004.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  MyPictures103107005.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  160.8 KB

Oil filter wrenches

Name:  NikonPictures0601085008.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  52.5 KB

Crush washers

Name:  MyPicturesShroudbolts.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  14.6 KB

An old plastic shower curtain that the wife was throwing out made an ideal spill preventer on a concrete driveway

Telcoman

Last edited by telcoman; 06-15-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Hey we all make mistakes, hopefully you can get it up and running. Gotta get under the car to get a better look at what's going on. Also this a better time than any to learn more about your car and be aware of certain issues and have the knowledge to tackle those things. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm thinking kwiki lube either installed the wrong oil filter or cross threaded it. Either way, get your parents involved if necessary and make a call to them. They have to replace engines all the time for these mistakes.

And I agree, find another mechanic. Your current one gave you bad advice. After the oiling issue is sorted, have someone competent run a few tests on the car and sort out that cooling issue.

Paying $9k for this car you are on the verge of taking a BIG loss if selling in current condition. I see running g35 6mt sedans over here all the time for well under $5k, and rollers or blown engine cars go for $1k or so.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Will definitely take a look under and hopefully that's the issue, if so kwiki lube will be hearing from me soon. Thank you guys

Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

if so kwiki lube will be hearing from me soon. Thank you guys
Don't waste your time unless you paid by credit card?
Read the fine print on how long you have to dispute a charge and request a charge-back for poor workmanship.

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
EPiK (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Don't waste your time unless you paid by credit card?
Read the fine print on how long you have to dispute a charge and request a charge-back for poor workmanship.

Telcoman
good info. I never use those places, so I wasn't aware

Old 06-17-2017, 08:22 PM
I won't give up on this car, if anything I'll just save up and sell some stuff to get me a new engine, I love everything about the car. Thanks guys

Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

I won't give up on this car, if anything I'll just save up and sell some stuff to get me a new engine, I love everything about the car. Thanks guys
Learn about the scams also

Telcoman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.