General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

What should I get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2018 | 03:24 PM
|
What should I get?

Hey everyone, I currently don't own a g35. I'm really wanting a G35 coupe with manual transmission. I'm seeing several in my area for sale (2004s) in the $4000 range. I'd like a g35 that I can modify and tune, but my budget is kinda low right now, but I could spend about $7000. I'm looking for a second opinion on buying a decent G35 around $5k, and a salvage G35 coupe (with wreck damage - avoiding flood or hail salvaged so no electric issues) with a working engine and transmission for about $1.5k, that way any major modifications I need I can do myself using parts from the salvage, and have $500 left over in case anything else breaks or has a problem. Right now reliability is a high priority for me with work but when I get some more $$ I'll start working on modifications.

Any thoughts from the experienced G35 owners? Is this a good idea or bad idea in disguisem?

Old 04-21-2018 | 03:49 PM
BANNED!!!
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Premier Member
If reliability is a concern then avoid a salvage vehicle for a daily driver. Avoid the early 2003 ones with the old ECU that can't be tuned. You should definitely be able to find a clean 6MT coupe in that price range though, no need to buy the savage vehicle for parts unless you're doing a drivetrain rebuilt and need the extra block/transmission/differential to work with, most parts off the salvage vehicle will be worn out or nearing the end of it's life expectancy so just buy new or rebuild components as they wear out.

If you can pick one up for $4k that leaves a considerable amount of wiggle room for repairs and upgrades, expect to be replacing the differential bushings immediately, possibly also brakes/tires, maybe a wheel bearing or two, and a few missing interior pieces and such. I strongly suggest making a list of things you absolutely MUST HAVE like premium package/sunroof/wheel size/etc and don't compromise on those items, also color since you're likely going to be living with it for the life of the vehicle. After that it's just a patience exercise and a few test drives until you find the right one. It took me almost 2 years to find the exact one I wanted (that was within 500 miles) but I was being really picky and test drove A LOT of G35's before I found the right one, it was well worth the wait.