General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Day of reckoning / dealing with my poor decisions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Day of reckoning / dealing with my poor decisions!

The other day when I removed my rear camber kit I took a closer look at the rust I knew my car had... but this time I started poking around with a screwdriver inside the wheel well.... and broke through in several places.

When I bought it there was a little bubbling on the top arch, but nothing else visible - I figured I could drive it all winter and fix it in the spring when the weather got warmer without the rust completely killing my car.

It's gotten worse.... much worse. I fully expect the pinch weld to be destroyed under those side skirts although all the jack points and the rest of the undercarriage are relatively rust free.

I don't have the money for a professional repair, but I am prepared to undertake the task of taking off the side skirts, removing the rust, and doing whatever is necessary to keep the car on the road looking presentable for another 4-5 years....

Has anyone dealt with this sort of thing before and have any advice for me before I start? The procedure I intend to use (after research)

-Remove rust with sandpaper grinder and wire brush making sure to remove all rust
-Spray all metal with Rustoleum
-Use body panel glue to add more metal to wheel arches if neccissary, use Bondo to fix shape so it looks presentable - using a friend's G35 as reference
-In the area under the side skirts, I was planning on using body glue and seam sealer to attach sheet steel to keep it all together and prevent water from getting in, and just covering that steel in a couple coats Rustoleum.

Am I screwed?

Last edited by cswlightning; 04-25-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Pics would help... Doh!