General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Multiple problems (hoping for 1 solution?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:49 PM
|
2004 G35 4dr with sport package
Multiple problems (hoping for 1 solution?)

Hi All,

Most issues over the years I have found answers to keep our 2004 G35 2wd AT sedan running well. My search-fu has come up short with this one.

Gave the car to our son a couple years ago (sentimental value here as its the car he came home from the hospital in after he was born). He's at college a little over an hour away so comes home ever few weekends. He mentioned once that the engine would shake from time to time and feel like it might stall... He knows nothing about cars and can't tell us more than that. I have driven it a few times and done an italian tune up blowing it out on the freeway... always seems to be running great at about 130k miles.

So today I get in it and while the engine is smooth I notice its got the service engine light on and vdc and slip are illuminated. Tried the VDC button many times to no change. Pull the code (P0301) and clear it. Took it for a quick drive to the store... AC is on but blowing hot (never done before) and trans is SLAMMING into gears. But engine was smooth. Hmnnn. Grabbed what I needed in 15 min and started the car for the drive home and.... No VDC or slip lights, engine smooth and AC blows ice cold. Grrrr.

So I check online to find that P0301 is misfire cylinder 1. Pulled the coil on cy l1 and grabbed a replacement at the local Oreileys. No Hitachi in stock and the boy is leaving tomorrow so I take the recommended one (75$ ouch!) swap it in, connect everything back up and start it Smooth for about a minute then starts shaking and revs are dropping. Confirm from the boy this is what it feels like. Start and stop engine a couple times and it never goes back to smooth, revs drop to barely running. Then one time at start the VDC Slip lights come back on and though its running rough and can rev the tach is totally dead. Pulled the new coil put in the old. Start it up smooth as can be. Drove it to Oreilleys to return the new coil, runs perfect. Start it to drive home and its shaking and rough.

Is there some known electrical problem that links things like the AC (I think it was the flap under the hood not opening as the compressor was definitely running) The dash (tach not working) and intermittent misfires and VDC issues?

Have to send him back to school tomorrow (no options for another car)... telling him to drive carefully. Hate to do it but have no options.

Any ideas?

TIA
Jay

Old Yesterday | 11:25 PM
If the engine is running and the tach isnt showing anything, that usually means a bad crankshaft sensor.