Hawaii Honolulu

Let the modding begin!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Let the modding begin!!

Well after debating back and forth on whether to buy all the mods before I move to Hawaii or not. Yesterday, I went and took the plunge. I bought the following items.

Cosmetics:
Infiniti OEM chin spoiler
Infiniti splash guards front/rear
Aluminum pedal kit
Clear side corners with correct coloured bulbs

Performance
Z-tube
Stillen exhaust
Stillen CAI
Motordyne 5/16" spacer
Alphawerks headers
Crawford high-flow cats
Gordgee's grounding kit

Suspension
Tein H-tech springs
Stillen swaybars

Still to come??
UR Udp??
Technosquare ECU (definitely will do)

Anyway, thanks for all the advice you guys gave me. I look forward to beating all of you, oops I meant meeting all of you in the very near future...haha. Seriously, thanks again. Peace.

Last edited by 1badmax; 01-17-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh solid... and you will never pass me... hahahaha.... nah just messing...

Old 01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Two things on that list MIGHT cause you problems with your safety check and cause you to have to get a recon sticker.

The clear corners will definitely fail you on a safety check

Depending on how much the springs drop you, you may or may not pass a safety check.

Recon is a PITA; there is only one place that does it, and their hours are limited, only during work hours during the middle of the week. Making an appointment is good and can get you in faster. You should pass recon with the springs, but the corners won't pass recon. Additionally, if you do go to recon, they will inspect harder on some other areas, and might fail you for the exhaust.

My suggestion is ditch the clear corners. Get the springs (if thats the suspension mods you want) and go to a gas station or a local Mom and Pop place for your safety check. When you get here, ask around, depending on where you live there are a number of good places. Don't go to a Sears or other big place, they are usually more strict.

And once you get the safety sticker, you can put the clear corners on, BUT the police may pull you over for them. I would recommened doing without them.

Dave

Old 01-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by caelric
Two things on that list MIGHT cause you problems with your safety check and cause you to have to get a recon sticker.

The clear corners will definitely fail you on a safety check

Depending on how much the springs drop you, you may or may not pass a safety check.

Recon is a PITA; there is only one place that does it, and their hours are limited, only during work hours during the middle of the week. Making an appointment is good and can get you in faster. You should pass recon with the springs, but the corners won't pass recon. Additionally, if you do go to recon, they will inspect harder on some other areas, and might fail you for the exhaust.

My suggestion is ditch the clear corners. Get the springs (if thats the suspension mods you want) and go to a gas station or a local Mom and Pop place for your safety check. When you get here, ask around, depending on where you live there are a number of good places. Don't go to a Sears or other big place, they are usually more strict.

And once you get the safety sticker, you can put the clear corners on, BUT the police may pull you over for them. I would recommened doing without them.

Dave
Well the drop is only 1.4" (f) and 0.7" (r) which is very minimal. Sen Jen already schooled me on Recon. I figure if the cops give me grief about the clear corners, then fine I'll take them off and put them back on when I return to the continental US 3 years later. But, for the mean time I'll take my chances. My only real concern is whether to buy the CrawfordZ high-flow cats or their headers. I've been told the headers should pass, but the cats may not. And at $550 for the cats, that's a huge price to pay for something that may have to wait 3 years to ever be installed. The clear corners on the other hand are only $36, small money if you know what I mean. Anyway, I appreciate you given me the heads up on Recon. Peace.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
I've got the cats; when they do the safety check, they don't look at the engine. My G got a 2 year safety check at the dealer prior to my purchasing it new, so the mods weren't on then, but prior to that, I had a 300ZXTT with a large number of engine mods (including high flow cats), and had no problems with that aspect of the safety check.

Test pipes might be a problem, because you can smell the raw exhaust, but hi flow cats should be no problem.

Dave

Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
screw Tein, Tein = Trendy , dont get me wrong, they're exceptional but if you wan to be a little different, check out Swift Springs. IMO their quality standards are higher than Tein's. MunkyWurks can get them in for you...drop my name and you'll be taken cared of.

I'm not too sure about the Stillen Intake...but try and do a search on GruppeM intakes.

FYI, hawaii doesnt have emissions laws, we probably do but it really isnt enforced. Go with resonated test pipes non-resonated test pipes sound like crap; effective but, crap.

On all my cars, I've never had recon..all of them visually modified and audibly modified...I wont write it, I might bachi myself. It really depends on the appeal your car gives or so some of my friends in blue tell me. If the officer that pulls you over is G35Five_O, he'll probably ask what modifications you've done to the car, where you got'em, how much you got'em for, installation fee's...stuff like that

Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by 636Racer
screw Tein, Tein = Trendy , dont get me wrong, they're exceptional but if you wan to be a little different, check out Swift Springs. IMO their quality standards are higher than Tein's. MunkyWurks can get them in for you...drop my name and you'll be taken cared of.

I'm not too sure about the Stillen Intake...but try and do a search on GruppeM intakes.

FYI, hawaii doesnt have emissions laws, we probably do but it really isnt enforced. Go with resonated test pipes non-resonated test pipes sound like crap; effective but, crap.

On all my cars, I've never had recon..all of them visually modified and audibly modified...I wont write it, I might bachi myself. It really depends on the appeal your car gives or so some of my friends in blue tell me. If the officer that pulls you over is G35Five_O, he'll probably ask what modifications you've done to the car, where you got'em, how much you got'em for, installation fee's...stuff like that
The Tein H-tech springs are really just for the look more than anything else, plus the fact that their ride quality is almost the same as mine since I have the port edition. As far Stillen vs GruppeM intake is concerned; the price for GruppeM is way more than I want to spend. I do appeciate the insite on the mods and stuff though. Maybe I'll see you around the island. Peace.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Well my last 2 mods have been purchased. I got Alphawerks headers and Crawford high-flow cats. Hopefully, those two mods combined with the mods already ordered, should give me a big boost in performance.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no, Tein's are still good for springs. only in the coilover dept. is where Tein is not as good as others. Swift is an awesome brand though.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:45 AM
SenJen check your inbox on your pm's I sent you a question.

Chris

Old 01-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting ready to have my G inspected. Anyone have a good recommendation?

My car has a "slight" odor to it. I think I might have gotten some bad gas.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Meatshackle
I'm getting ready to have my G inspected. Anyone have a good recommendation?

My car has a "slight" odor to it. I think I might have gotten some bad gas.
It depends on the inspector and how linient they might get...if they ask for Recon...you could either find someone else that could pull strings for you or get recon and go back to the inspector.