Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Video Clip of Intimidator Exhaust on the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have yet to see the performance advatage of test-pipes over high-flow cats. Anyone have information on this?

As I've mentioned before, I used to drive a '55 Bel Air with a carb'd 468ci big-block... ...so I owe the enviroment for a few more years. Crawford cats have been just fine for me so far... ...and I know people behind me appreciate the additional exhaust scrubbing.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
I still have yet to see the performance advatage of test-pipes over high-flow cats. Anyone have information on this?

As I've mentioned before, I used to drive a '55 Bel Air with a carb'd 468ci big-block... ...so I owe the enviroment for a few more years. Crawford cats have been just fine for me so far... ...and I know people behind me appreciate the additional exhaust scrubbing.
Do you know what the gains are for the Crawford cats and others?

Flow in general is far better for a resonated testpipe that a cat as there is no blockage whatsoever. I know my car and others perform better as well. The overall may only be a few points higher for testpipes - but they are cheaper as well - the primary advantage.

Rick

Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Good point about the price. I think Crawford claims about 10-12HP or so. Can't recall for certain.

I know you've done a lot of work on your AT and that you've run some good numbers in the 1/4. Any interest in the CF driveshaft, or would it hurt your 60' enough that you wouldn't consider it?

Still enjoying the shorter gears?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Good point about the price. I think Crawford claims about 10-12HP or so. Can't recall for certain.

I know you've done a lot of work on your AT and that you've run some good numbers in the 1/4. Any interest in the CF driveshaft, or would it hurt your 60' enough that you wouldn't consider it?

Still enjoying the shorter gears?
I had crawford cats and have never seen a HP claim from them actually. I did notice a big improvement in the mid-range once the testpipes went in though...TQ jumped!

Drive shaft is a possibility...PM me some info...I'll research.

Love them gears man!!!

Rick

Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...I know you've done a lot of work on your AT and that you've run some good numbers in the 1/4. Any interest in the CF driveshaft, or would it hurt your 60' enough that you wouldn't consider it?
What's a CF driveshaft?

The only thing I can guess is carbon fiber, but why would that hurt his 60' time? Unless it's because the CF doesn't bend at all and you can't spring out of the hole???

Curious...

Old 06-08-2006, 04:46 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought...

If testpipes are for off road use only, why do they come in resonated versions?

rhetorical I suppose...

Old 06-08-2006, 05:21 PM
_jb - You are correct, I was talking about a carbon-fiber driveshaft... ...which is not currently available for the G. I'm making an assumption about it hurting the 60' time because it should have a similar impact as a lightweight flywheel. With ISM having such a modified AT, it shouldn't be much of negative impact, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

ACPT will make one for the G, but they first need an OEM driveshaft to use as a template. Turnaround would be nearly a month, so sending my OEM driveshaft isn't feasible. I've considered buying an OEM driveshaft ($500 new) and sending it to ACPT. The CF driveshaft alone is about $1200.

FWIW, the CF will provide the typical twist that metal does, but it's memory characteristics will always have it unwind back to the normal spot. Metal driveshafts will eventually have a bit of that twist set in and remain. There are safety benefits to the CF as well as any potential weight savings from the rotating mass.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
If testpipes are for off road use only, why do they come in resonated versions?

rhetorical I suppose...
uh huh...yep...yea...off road...hmmm...raspless....hmmm....yea...ehemm....: cool:

Old 06-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Today Is The Last Day - Midnight Marks The End!!

Today Is The Last Chance To Sign-up!!

Midnight Rings In The Close Of The Group Buy!!!

Sign-up Now And Save $400 On The Intimidator Catback Of Your Choice!!

Don't Forget Testpipes - Double Your Gains!!!

Rick

Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 AM