Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Test Pipes, Oil Use, CEL Lights, and O2 Sensor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
We removed the MREV as we were removing the test pipes and reinstalling the cats. I was just trying to point out you can rule out inproper installation as stuff was done correctly . I am bringing this out into the open and trying to be honest to hopefully save someone a motor. Hell I know a lot of people do not check their own oil or change it and if they were to wait 500kms(in my case) you would have had zero oil left and been out a motor.
That's exactly what happened to the fellow that posted in our FGC forum. He heard an odd engine knocking sound and went to investigate. His oil was so low that he had to put five (5) quarts of oil in his engine! This could be quite a problem for someone.

Maybe he'll chime in here and post a bit tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Increased suction could mean increased flow through the PCV valve as mentioned. To test this you could get a oil catch can and see how much accumulates. There is a DIY posted recently in the intake forum.

Since test pipes will fail emissions testing, why not just remove the connection to the lower collector. My understanding is that it is there for emissions only. Then you can have more flow and no oil loss...

Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=_jb]
Rick also has a '05, but I think his is a 350z. I know they are "virtually" the same. Just trying to put down some facts to see if we can figure out what's going on.

quote]

I'm G and all G boys - modded to hell and back...

Old 06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by _jb
That's exactly what happened to the fellow that posted in our FGC forum. He heard an odd engine knocking sound and went to investigate. His oil was so low that he had to put five (5) quarts of oil in his engine! This could be quite a problem for someone.

Maybe he'll chime in here and post a bit tomorrow.
Hey guys! Well, I'm the dude mentioned above and thus far, everything's ok and she's not getting drunk on the oil like she was doing previously But it still baffles me as to why something like that would happen? I mean, if I'm your normal dude who just drives his car without a care in the world and happened to be cruising, looking cool on the highway, in the middle of hot-a.ss florida......that could have spelled bad news for my ride....something I doubt is covered by the warrantee

Gonna check her levels again later today before heading out, I'll keep u posted on her condition <---- lol makes it seem like we're talking about an actual person in the hospital or something.....we're so pathetic!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
maybe a different viscosity was used, maybe the old oil broke down due age and use who knows. Sounds like you changed 3 things and your oil consumption went away. it could be the test pipe, it could be something else, it could be a combination of all three. just saying that test pipes don't automatically lead to oil consumption. A lot of people are running them with no problems.
All oil used was 5W-30, we kept it the same so comparison was correct. The initial oil being ran was mobil 1, but this last change we put in Q 5W-30 simply because it was on sale and is still fully synthetic. No sense in buying a $50cdn case of oil when 1qt is gone in 250kms right... that was our reasoning.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by 9825463
Hey guys! Well, I'm the dude mentioned above and thus far, everything's ok and she's not getting drunk on the oil like she was doing previously But it still baffles me as to why something like that would happen? I mean, if I'm your normal dude who just drives his car without a care in the world and happened to be cruising, looking cool on the highway, in the middle of hot-a.ss florida......that could have spelled bad news for my ride....something I doubt is covered by the warrantee

Gonna check her levels again later today before heading out, I'll keep u posted on her condition <---- lol makes it seem like we're talking about an actual person in the hospital or something.....we're so pathetic!
See if you can make it puff just sitting in the driveway and giving it a good hard rev. Mine would give a wicked puff of blue out the tail pipes. Literally check the oil after everytime you drive it. How many miles/kms are on your car? Mine has 28,000kms.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
See if you can make it puff just sitting in the driveway and giving it a good hard rev. Mine would give a wicked puff of blue out the tail pipes. Literally check the oil after everytime you drive it. How many miles/kms are on your car? Mine has 28,000kms.
Good thought, I'll check that later today, mileage is 15k

Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
i know in the past there were motors that were consumming oil like crazy and they were stock motors. the motor was the problem and infiniti replaced them under warranty. there are several people that have had it done but i can remember who they were. the only person that i know that had the problem was 2003z (mike - thepowdercoater.com) he posts on my350.com and g35frenzy.com

Old 06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Well, I just went out and rev'd the shi.t out of her and was told nothing came out in the way of smoke, so that's a relief!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by 9825463
Well, I just went out and rev'd the shi.t out of her and was told nothing came out in the way of smoke, so that's a relief!
That is good, mine would puff blue out the rear bad. What test pipes are you running? Also, do you have a CEL/SES light on?

Old 07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Here's an update

The issue has really been traced down to what looks like to be an oil compression or control ring issue. Some cars see the issue more than others. If you religiously check your oil, you may see it dipping down. If you change it frequently, like every 3000 miles, it will likely never bother you. People notice the issue once TP are installed the lack of back-pressure seems to enhance the issue as well as the lack of CATS allow the blow-by through the system, so there is an oil film on the back of the car.

CATS get super hot and burn it up, so it is rarely ever noticed, unless the oil is checked frequently.

There's nothing else at the moment that I can see or attribute this to. I can only expect a TSB in the near future for cars with an issue at the extreme.

Rick

Last edited by ISMSOLUTIONS; 07-26-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
where would i get these fouler things for the o2 sensors? i am about to slap on some test pipes

Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by pavelpg
where would i get these fouler things for the o2 sensors? i am about to slap on some test pipes
AutoZone - HELP product # 42002

Rick

Old 07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned
my oil went down to empty almost after 2500 miles.. i need a quart of oil every 500 miles. or every other filll up. it has to be the test pipes , because this started after installing them. i like the pipes too much to take them off.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by killerlexus
my oil went down to empty almost after 2500 miles.. i need a quart of oil every 500 miles. or every other fill up. it has to be the test pipes , because this started after installing them. i like the pipes too much to take them off.
It's not the pipes themselves - they only make the problem a bit worse than it is/was to begin with.

Also, now that you are aware of the issue, and you have the pipes, you are looking for it. See my earlier post...this is an issue that is very specific.

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Pipes, Oil Use, CEL Lights, and O2 Sensor.