Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Crawford Plenum vs Motordyne Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darnelled
Your engine is a non-revup and does not gain anything from the plenum, but does from the spacer (much cheaper route too).
You try to speak like an expert, but you must know that your full of BS. The Crawford was around long before the RevUp motor, and was producing gains long before the spacer. Spacers work, but the plenum works better, because it equalizes the mixture between the front and rear cylinders. The spacer, while improving the front, still leaves the mismatch. The Crawford is a proven power producer. Mine is a V4, I have the full Crawford package, and luv the plenum.

Lou

Attached Thumbnails Crawford Plenum vs Motordyne Spacer-stb01.jpg  
Old 06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have neither, still on the fence as to which one to get, but here's what I've gathered thus far. Also as stated above ^^, don't listen to darnelled... either of these will benefit the non-revup engines.

MD Spacer:
-- 11-14 peak HP increase (this means more power above 5K RPMs, with no real benefit below that)
-- A little cheaper than the plenum ($260 for 5/16 spacer at motordyneengineering.com)
-- Keeps the stock look (engine cover still fits)

Crawford Upper Plenum:
-- 9 peak HP increase (haven't seen a dyno of this yet, assume it affects a similar RPM range)
-- $299 from crawfordz.com for non-polished unit
-- no stock engine cover with this on the engine

Also:
-- Don't do both of these on a non-revup engine without tuning the air-fuel mixture somehow (I think)

Last edited by Joe_Camel; 06-11-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a question -

What about the SSV manifold?

How does it compare to either solution?

Rick

Old 06-11-2006, 10:51 PM
If my memory is right, you will loose power at low rpm
Conclusion was that ssv is good for FI only not for NA
Mike

Old 06-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by mikesj
If my memory is right, you will loose power at low rpm
Conclusion was that ssv is good for FI only not for NA
Mike
Hmm...My car is NA - radically built. I have MREV++ - stillen CAI - and massive internals...I wonder....

Oh yea - custome racing trans from Japan (AT), gears, etc etc etc..

Rick

Old 06-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Lords47
I have an 05 5AT sedan and i'm looking to buy either a crawford plenum or a motordyne spacer. I'm interested in not only performance, but some good sound.
Hi Lords47,

Sport Z Magazine did a series of dynos to compare the performance of many different plenum performance mods. It was a comparison open to AAM, APS, Crawford, Kinetix, Motordyne and Skunk.

Most were able to enter their products into the comparison. From what I understand, APS and Skunk didn't send their products in time for a comparison and Kinetix sent in their regular plenum but chose not to send in their SSV.

All the different plenum mods were tested under strictly controlled test conditions on a fully stock 350Z. Same car, same day, same dyno, same tank of gas, same atmospheric conditions, same SAE correction factors and ECU resets before each set of dyno pulls. It was a series of dyno tests that went for many hours.

In terms of peak power gained and average power gained, the Motordyne Basic plenum spacers made the most and took both first and second place as determined by the dyno.

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/dynos.asp

As for the MREV2, recent testing shows it makes less "peak" power than the 5/16" basic spacer, but it makes more power on average. ...but it doesn't change the sound much when installed on non-REVUP engines.

If the most average power is what you are looking for, get the MREV2.
If the most peak power is what you want, get the 1/2" spacer. (1/2" spacer also sounds very deep and loud! Almost like a V8 engine)
If a good balance of power and sound is what you want, get the 5/16" spacer.

These differences in power are measurable but subtle. You would notice all of them but "may" not be able to feel much of a difference between them if you were to try all three of them on your car.

I would say the 1/2" spacer is the one mod that really stands out in terms of sound though. You can really hear it. And much more if you have a Z tube.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Tony

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-12-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks Tony!

Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
BTW - love my MD solution - picked up a total of 38HP and 26TQ on my modded setup..

Tony rocks!!!

Rick

Old 06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I've read a few posts back sometime of people saying how they installed it. I downloaded the installation guide from Tony's website. For someone who hasn't been mechanically inclined (i.e. me), is this something that i could do with the right amount of time? I mean, i've installed CAI's before, changed my oil, brake lights, that sorta stuff, but i have to pull off the whole top of my engine! That's pretty intimidating for a guy like me. I can read, i know how to follow directions, and i know what tools to use, but i'm still pretty nervous i'm gonna screw something up.

Anyone install their spacer themself? Howd it go?

Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I would say that it will be intimidating pulling the plenum off for the first time, but I will also say that it is decieving. You don't actually tear into the engine at all.

Installation is very easy. Most of it comes down to turning 10mm bolts and thats about it. If you can find a friend to help, take your time, use a torque wrench and do it on a Saturday afternoon you'll be fine.

Without a friend, torque wrench or confidence in it, have it done professionally.
Tony

Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
For those that are not mechanically inclined (like me) you can do it. The only part to be concerned about is making sure you don't over or undertorque the bolts. Start early in the day so you are fresh and you therefore don't become frustrated or tired when you are 3/4 of the way done. Not an "afterwork" project.

My research indicates that the Motordyne MREV2 with 5/16 spacer is the best bang for the buck performance mod for a Rev-up motor and my butt dyno concurs. The spacer more than compensates for any loss at top end.

Tony, I asked this on another thread, but while you are here (I know, I am hijacking) but should I get a reflash or maybe a technosquare chip w/ the mods I have/ (see sig)

Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I agree with Tony and the Dr. - it is really a pretty simple install - but the torque wrench is a must.

If your mechanically inclined - you can do it in an hour - if not - about 2-3 hours as you'll take extra time to be careful.

If your going to go the route of a TS flash, you may as well get an Apexi AFC2 and a Dyno tune - get the extra HP and really make it worth its dough. The install on my modded car was worth 22HP and 18TQ before the tune...much more afterwards...and the car was fully tuned the week before the install as well.

Rick

Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Rick,

Do you think my car needs a reflash, and is the Apexi a chip that is separate from the reflashing/tuning?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Rick,

Do you think my car needs a reflash, and is the Apexi a chip that is separate from the reflashing/tuning?
The Apexi is a piggy back computer for air fuel tuning.

Do I think you need a re-flash? What have you added to your car since your last flash and what was on it when it was flashed the first time? What flash did you get?

Oh yea - gotta love the signature there - ( off road use, of course)

Rick

Old 06-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
For those that are not mechanically inclined (like me) you can do it. The only part to be concerned about is making sure you don't over or undertorque the bolts. Start early in the day so you are fresh and you therefore don't become frustrated or tired when you are 3/4 of the way done. Not an "afterwork" project.

My research indicates that the Motordyne MREV2 with 5/16 spacer is the best bang for the buck performance mod for a Rev-up motor and my butt dyno concurs. The spacer more than compensates for any loss at top end.

Tony, I asked this on another thread, but while you are here (I know, I am hijacking) but should I get a reflash or maybe a technosquare chip w/ the mods I have/ (see sig)
As of the moment with your mods you may or may not need a reflash. Only a dyno plot with A/F can really say.

But once you get the exhaust (especially with test pipes) you will need a reflash guaranteed.

And +1 on what Rick said about the Fuel Air controller. That can be very helpfull too!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-13-2006 at 01:30 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford Plenum vs Motordyne Spacer