Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Crawford Plenum vs Motordyne Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crawford Plenum vs Motordyne Spacer

First off... my apologies if some of you have read this. I did many searches before posting this.

So here's my story. I have an 05 5AT sedan and i'm looking to buy either a crawford plenum or a motordyne spacer. I'm interested in not only performance, but some good sound. I must admit, i've read hundreds of posts about MREV, MREV+, MREV2, and i'm completely lost which one i would need for my car (correct me if i'm wrong, but i have a Non-Revup engine... 5AT right?).

What do you guys prefer? Crawford plenum or a motordyne spacer... or MREV? Thanks... and again, sorry if this has been discussed and i just missed it.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 AM
dude.... i wanting to know the same thing...just got an '06 5AT... Coz@Czp told me "the MD MREV 2 w/ 5/16 Spacer upgrade, that's the best you can do", but im interested in what peeps have to say about the Crawford... not too much hype on the crawford stuff on this forum...

Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I have just the 5/16 spacer and I love the sound 05 5at

Old 06-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks lightforce18

Anyone else have opinions?

Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Check out the winter 2006 issue of "Sport Z Magazine" for a plenum/spacer shootout.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sixthGear
dude.... i wanting to know the same thing...just got an '06 5AT... Coz@Czp told me "the MD MREV 2 w/ 5/16 Spacer upgrade, that's the best you can do", but im interested in what peeps have to say about the Crawford... not too much hype on the crawford stuff on this forum...
Does the 06 5AT have the Rev Up engine?? If it does, then the combo mentioned above is definitely the best combo to go with. I have an 05 6MT and that's the exact combo that I am getting. I have heard that up to 20hp and 30 lb/ft of torque is possible with this combo. Of course not everyone will acheive these kind of numbers but it is encouraging to hear that it is possible.

BTW, unless I am mistaken, the Crawford plenum is the upper plenum so technically you can use this plenum with a spacer. I would really research it though cuz there is a possibility of leaning out unless you do a reflash or go with something like a UTEC.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
THE BATMOBILE
+1 crawford

Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If you car has the rev up motor, the motordyne mrev package might be the way to go if your looking for higher midrange power.

If your car does not have the rev up motor like mine (i have a 04 6mt coupe). The mrev package is useless on our engine. Better to have either a Crawford cast plenum or 1/2 motordyne spacer or kinetix plastic plenum or APS tallboy plenum. All of them have similiar hp/tq gains and all of them do the same thing - equalize the volume for the front cylinders. Just pick the one that fits your budget or personal aesthetics. In my case, I chose the crawford cast plenum.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1/2" spacer vs Crawford came out to be the same Peak HP gain on our dynojet runs..

Motordyne is cheaper in terms of cost, keeps the stock look, we dynoed without their cooling kit.. so with the cooling kit it might just take the crawford..

iono bout mrev2 n stuff

Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Does the 06 5AT have the Rev Up engine?? If it does, then the combo mentioned above is definitely the best combo to go with. I have an 05 6MT and that's the exact combo that I am getting. I have heard that up to 20hp and 30 lb/ft of torque is possible with this combo. Of course not everyone will acheive these kind of numbers but it is encouraging to hear that it is possible.

BTW, unless I am mistaken, the Crawford plenum is the upper plenum so technically you can use this plenum with a spacer. I would really research it though cuz there is a possibility of leaning out unless you do a reflash or go with something like a UTEC.
If I understood everything right.... I think the 05 and 06 5AT are NON-REVUP engines? I am pretty sure the revups are for those with the 6MT (05+). Unless i'm wrong....

But either way, it sounds like there is comparable gains between the spacer and crawford, so it seems to each their own.

Truplay8... how do you like the crawford?

Old 06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Your engine is a non-revup and does not gain anything from the plenum, but does from the spacer (much cheaper route too).

Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by darnelled
Your engine is a non-revup and does not gain anything from the plenum, but does from the spacer (much cheaper route too).
now THAT is an answer i've been looking for Thanks!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I have installed lightforce's spacer and I installed my crawford, based on experiance both are not too bad installation-wise. Now as far as heat, if you do get the crawford, get the motordyne copper isothermal gasket set, because the Crawford gets freaking HOT. I am still pondering on buying a Isothermal myself (minus the Spacer, of course).

So, if you go the Crawford route, it will be more expensive if you decide to get the Isothermal gaskets.

Honestly, if you want to retain a stock look and decent performance, get the 5/16 with the Isothermal and you should be all good!

Old 06-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by darnelled

is he right about this? because i want the crawford cast plenum for my 04 6mt...that is a non revup engine- according to him i wont gain anything?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Lords47
now THAT is an answer i've been looking for Thanks!
Too bad he's wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford Plenum vs Motordyne Spacer