Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

uuhhm what exactly is a power duct and where is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
uuhhm what exactly is a power duct and where is it?

so i just noticed that some people took out their power duct.

what are the advantages to this? disadvantages?

easy to uninstall? easy to reinstall?

thanks for sharing your knowledge with a noob like myself!

oh yeh i did the search and nothing came up. at least not about what it is and where it is.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Overglorified Altima
found the power duct! lol yes im sorry..i realize it is labled power duct!

but now there seems to be some mixed reviews..

so what are the advantages of removing it?

disadvantages?

some people say you lose power at low rpms

some say no loss at all

less throttle response, etc.

anyone? thanks

Last edited by Calvin; 07-11-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think infiniti put it there for a reason, and not just to increase costs for them and us. it directs air from outside to the intake. otherwise your intake would be sucking hot air from the engine bay. it's probably not a good idea to remove it and keep the stock intake. if you want an aftermarket intake, look up stats on the stillen and jwt intake. the stillen has a heat shield, i don't think the jwt has one.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only good reason to remove the power duct is if you have a cold air intake. Removing the power duct robs the engine of air, which means less horse power and less gas mileage. People have actually had their engine turn off when going uphill at a slow speed with the power duct off.

The power duct channels air directly from the outside of the car into the air box. Its in a perfect position to get maximum air flowing in from the grill into the air box. Its actually very common for people to mod other cars without a "power duct" or ram air system with a power duct to channel more air into the air box. Its very foolish to take it off unless your replacing it with a completely new intake system.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Overglorified Altima
i wonder if anyone has made a custom heat shield for this purpose..im going to look into that. just curious. thanks guys for your input!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I just installed a HKS intake. It has a heat shield. Do I need the power duct installed?

Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredacious
I just installed a HKS intake. It has a heat shield. Do I need the power duct installed?
You do not need the power duct for your setup.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
You do not need the power duct for your setup.
Great. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
The only good reason to remove the power duct is if you have a cold air intake. Removing the power duct robs the engine of air, which means less horse power and less gas mileage. People have actually had their engine turn off when going uphill at a slow speed with the power duct off.

The power duct channels air directly from the outside of the car into the air box. Its in a perfect position to get maximum air flowing in from the grill into the air box. Its actually very common for people to mod other cars without a "power duct" or ram air system with a power duct to channel more air into the air box. Its very foolish to take it off unless your replacing it with a completely new intake system.
just a question, but how does it rob the engine of air?

air, physically, is EVERYWHERE at any given time especially on any car. i can understand the air being warmer, but that would simply slightly less oxygen per volume, resulting i less power.

but wouldnt less power/warmer air INCREASE gas mileage to a certain degree.

just asking cause most cars that register IAT (intake air temps) , when it gets warmer, it cuts back on the fuel, meaning you use less.... which it goes without saying, you run more lean, but you also use less gas...

i get the point of the powerduct, but air pretty much is omnipresent, even under the hood. even if the oxygen content is less than cooler more denser air.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf

lol

Old 07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by PWStudent
just a question, but how does it rob the engine of air?
It may not "rob" the engine of air. It robs the engine of COOL air. Cooler air= denser air=more power/better mileage. The factory design is a good one, it lets in lots of outside air, protects the intake from water intrusion, and keeps hot engine bay air out.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You guys better watch what you say or else this thread will be deleted! Right Dave? lol

Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here we go again...

Old 07-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
It may not "rob" the engine of air. It robs the engine of COOL air. Cooler air= denser air=more power/better mileage. The factory design is a good one, it lets in lots of outside air, protects the intake from water intrusion, and keeps hot engine bay air out.

yeah, thats exactly what i said in my second sentence..... however the guy above basically made it seem like if you dont have it, engines start shutting off cause theres no air available.

pretty much ALL cars these days have some sort of ducting into a box or box like area to do this, however going to a short ram intake, i;ve NEVER seen a car shut off as a result

Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Hold on, sounds like you guys are talking about the plastic ducting from the grill over to the airbox...that's not the "power duct". The "Power Duct" that people are removing is the little 3" peice of plastic on the front of the airbox with the foam rubber lip attached to it.

The ram air ducting from the grill over to the airbox stays on the car.

Last edited by dallasg; 07-19-2006 at 04:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: uuhhm what exactly is a power duct and where is it?