Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Fundamental exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clean G 4D
I consider this the norm, everyone goes the dual with X route if they do alot of engine mods. But thats assuming that the dual with X pipe would flow better than a proportionally sized single exhaust. Which brings up my question, how can we assume this?
I just think that the true dual is just going to sound smoother, less drone. than a single proportionally sized single exhaust. No one has ever done it but that is my guess.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
each cat is 2.5" ID on our cars if remember correctly + the Y-pipe's are 2 2.5"s in and 1 2.5" out. I don't see how can u do 3.5 inc single exhaust unless u do all costum which will cost u a lot more.
Try to think independently from actual products, consider that any/all variations are possible. I am trying to get to the root, the theory behind it all.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Try to think independently from actual products, consider that any/all variations are possible. I am trying to get to the root, the theory behind it all.
I just think that the true dual is just going to sound smoother, less drone. than a single proportionally sized single exhaust. No one has ever done it but that is my guess.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Let us know how it goes.
I think that with the single exhaust, the pulse would be very close together and would sound smoother. The dual would be spaced out more, and would 'pant' more. Here is my visual for it... I'm a pro paint-er...

Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
^time to do it.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Yea, I have been thinking about getting an exhaust system lately. So I started thinking about the different exhaust types, and now here we are. If the questions dont get answered here, I will end up asking a local shop when I get my system built.

I think the difference with a properly built custom setup and a mass produced system is that the mass produced system was designed to give optimal flow (subjective) with as little resonance restriction as possible. The custom system is kind of a shot in the dark, based off of the builder's knowledge and experiance.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I think that with the single exhaust, the pulse would be very close together and would sound smoother. The dual would be spaced out more, and would 'pant' more. Here is my visual for it... I'm a pro paint-er...
That's exact setup of the 2nd gen G35.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:02 PM
^Which one? Are you referring to the X system? I think it would be similar to any other dual system utilizing an X pipe/muffler.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
I wanted theory... not blind allegiance... the reasoning behind it, not just simply stating that it was better.

I am not asking "is this a duck?", "is this a chicken?". I am asking, "why is this a chicken?", "why is this a duck?" and "why is one better than the other?". Dont get all flustered because I asked a question beyond your comprehension. I have stated my questions and reasoning several times, if you cant understand what I am asking, I am definitely sure that you cant answer my questions. You know alot, and I respect that, but to this point you have not really answered any of my questions...

Last edited by Clean G 4D; 10-03-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
BTW, nice way to not be objective in your contribution in this thread...

You are not dealing with a child, so a 'child's' answer will get you know where. Simply stating that it flows better means nothing unless you can explain it.

Also, obviously we all know a good exhaust system will yield gains. I stated earlier that posting gains was not going to answer the question, as it does not explain anything. It simply proves that a exhaust of that setup will yield gains.

I also already stated that I see dual exhausts as the norm. (meaning everybody goes this route) Apparently it is due partially to blind allegiance because everyone gets it, but cant tell me why its better.

-btw, can someone help me find my orange crayon?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, nice way to not be objective in your contribution in this thread...

You are not dealing with a child, so a 'child's' answer will get you know where. Simply stating that it flows better means nothing unless you can explain it.

Also, obviously we all know a good exhaust system will yield gains. I stated earlier that posting gains was not going to answer the question, as it does not explain anything. It simply proves that a exhaust of that setup will yield gains.

I also already stated that I see dual exhausts as the norm. (meaning everybody goes this route) Apparently it is due partially to blind allegiance because everyone gets it, but cant tell me why its better.

-btw, can someone help me find my orange crayon?
no, but I can teach you the difference between 'no' and 'know'

Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 PM
hmm... now I love and hate you at the same time!

My negative reaction to you trying being a smarta$$ (the post the originated the duck and chicken) actually yielded useful results. You have finally addressed my questions...

Now with the new info... how does the single system equate to 4.5"?
From the exhaust theory link I posted - I already know that too large of an exhaust would reduce effectiveness. But if the larger piping were to be of 'perfect' sizing, wouldnt the single exhaust also efficiently maintain the vacuum and temperature?

And the post about dynos still doesnt mean much because I was asking for why it was better. Measuring how much does little to determine why. Its like saying, "my car is way faster than yours... I can get 6 seconds in the 1/4 mile!". But you wouldnt know that the reason why was that I strapped a rocket on the car.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Exhaust systems.............

Since we're on page three and I read all the posts
don't you think you have your answer by now? I was
supprised by all the logical answers given on this
subject, and the knowledge you've received. If your
going to go with forced induction you'll need a true
dual system. If not, all you need is the y-pipe and
a good exhaust system like mine! (Magnaflow)
Is it getting lighter on your planet?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 AM
^yea, theres plenty of info here. FWIW, I wasnt looking to help deciding on an exhaust system. This thread was started to get insight into why a dual system is more efficient (or assumed more efficient) than a single exhaust system. Its been fairly well explained, but its still based on a few assumptions. I'll let this rest because I dont think the answers to what I want to know can be found through this message board.

*edit* i see 99atlantic viewing the thread... I hope I didnt forget an apostrophe somewhere...

Last edited by Clean G 4D; 10-04-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 AM
^if you knew everything, why didnt you contribute from the beginning? -before all of the fun started.

Theres more than one way to get the info I need, and hopefully they wont be as difficult.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fundamental exhaust question...