Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Fundamental exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COOL! Nice find ISMSOLUTIONS. Google knows alot about exhaust theory. Did you happen to find any relevent info comparing dual and single exhausts when you were searching?

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechAr...ry/theory.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

If you are going to 'cut and paste', post the link where you got the info from so others know the context in which the info was presented. Plagiarism is a shameful thing...

Also, if you re-read what you posted..
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
While the wave speed also decreases as they travel down the pipe due to gas cooling, the speed will increase again as the wave is reflected back up the pipe towards the cylinder. At all times, the speed of the wave action is much greater than the speed of the gas particles. Waves behave much differently than gas particles when a junction is encountered in the pipe. When two or more pipes come together, as in a collector for example, the waves travel into all of the available pipes - backwards as well as forwards. Waves are also reflected back up the original pipe, but with a negative pressure. The strength of the wave reflection is based on the area change compared to the area of the originating pipe.
Wouldn't the X pipe in a dual exhaust add an extra surface to cause negative wave reflections as opposed to a Y pipe?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Second - it's interesting how when somebody gives you the information you want, as you asked or demanded, you then beat them down for doing so....
If you have been keeping track of this thread... The info you provided doesnt really answer the questions asked. And yes I did bash on you. But that is for unwarranted criticism brought about by your own mistake. All bashing after that point was being critical of the info posted by someone who supposedly had all the answers. Perhaps I had too much faith (or trust) in you.

No...the Y-pipe, depending on exhaust velocity and other mods on the car, like headers etc., restrict flow and work against the headers, HFC or testpipes, etc., as it is not nearly as efficient as an X or H pipe in balancing the pulses.
Well, thats great. But an effective answer would regard the topic in the question. How does the X pipe deal with the extra negative wave reflections that the Y pipe doesnt have? <does this need another paint masterpiece for visualization?

Your a real piece of work...oopss..wrong word again!!
Is there something wrong with expecting a 'knowledgable' site sponsor to be able to answer a question in his realm of expertise? AND be modest enough to tell members if he doesnt know the answer instead of throwing irrelevant info everywhere?

P.S. take a spelling class man...
I made a couple spelling errors throughout my many posts in this thread. Its understandable as spelling isnt critical here.

If you want to be critical about this type of thing, have you been keeping track of the thread? If you have, then you would know that you have made numerous grammatical errors. Take a grammar class man...

Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not quite sure what "to the contrary" means here. What you stated is pretty much what I said. But for a single and even a twin setup, a single large pipe is probably best vs a dual system. And if going single, no one is going to purposely create a dual system out of a single turbo downpipe.

With a supercharger, yes I agree. Although it is a FI application, there are still exhaust pulses that could used in an advantages manner. But the need for scavenging is reduced and the need for size is increased.

To the contrary - the more you shove down the intake, the more you end up 'exhausting'. Balancing is still needed and more flow means better results for FI. The gases have to be evacuated as fast as possible to make room for the forced combustion that follows. The less restrictive, the better for a Turbo, not as much for a supercharger though. Too much efficiency on a supercharger can affect boost levels in the negative, though HP could still be there if the build is appropriate.

Rick

Old 10-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh yea - you'll notice I only signed the posts I WROTE...not the ones I copied from my resources and info gathering. Though I know all the info - why attempt to re-write it when it's already out there...

I'm attempting to spend as little time as possible on this so you'll just go away for all of us...

Rick
www.dictionary.com
plagiarism

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work 2: the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own

Simply not stating where the info came from is still plagiarism because you failed to state that it was not your writing. The posts you make on this message board are automatically represented as your own. Isnt your user name next to every post you make?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Jesus Christ! Do you ALWAYS bite the hand that feeds you? Although there are some minor things I see wrong, IM is pretty much spot on on 90% of his advice. He's offered about 10x more than most can provide.

Originally Posted by Clean G 4D
www.dictionary.com
plagiarism

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work 2: the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own

Simply not stating where the info came from is still plagiarism because you failed to state that it was not your writing. The posts you make on this message board are automatically represented as your own. Isnt your user name next to every post you make?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
^well... he did bite first.

Yes his info was great, however it his being critical of me will get the same treatment.

My original questions are still up for discussion as we havent really gotten down to any details that can answer them.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Red Card Crew

So? You are lucky he doesn't decide just to delete all his posts and leave you hanging. You DO know his posts are done out of COURTESY right? If he cops a slight attitude, so be it. He know his ****, you don't. It's the way it is sometimes. Nothing new

Originally Posted by Clean G 4D
^well... he did bite first.

Yes his info was great, however it his being critical of me will get the same treatment.

My original questions are still up for discussion as we havent really gotten down to any details that can answer them.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 PM
^but more than 50% was info I found on Google in 5 seconds. And he still is having a hard time really addressing my question.

To this point, the best I can discern from all this 'stuff' (opps did I spell that wrong?) posted is that it all comes down to tuning and complimentary mods.

as the Y-pipe does not balance and can't, the pulses are crammed into one another
If the Y pipe cant balance the pulse, it would be devastating to the performance of the system. But, can you tell me what is happening in the cross section of the X pipe that makes it any different? When viewed in the same light, arent the pulses crammed together in the same way with the only difference being that they later get seperated again. The 'crammed' section would be equally devastating to either system.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
They are true dual - there are dual pipes, dual resonators, dual CATS, dual mufflers and dual tips. The system is balanced by an X or H pipe. Y-pipe exhausts are dual systems converted to a single system by the Y-pipe.
By having two of everything simply means it is a dual exhaust. By labeling it with 'true', that suggests that they are two independent systems. True meaning that the term 'dual' is being exercised to the fullest extent. In this case, the dual exhausts available for our cars are not 'true' dual.

Yes - the dual equivalent of 2.5" dual pipes to a single would be a 3 1/2" single pipes exhaust. This is a very RARE size and the options for components are very limited, as is the overall tuning ability. Dual 2.5" systems, in this case, work much better for reasons above, as well as making the system far more cost effective and tunable.
So a big reason for going with a dual exhaust is due to cost and ability to make future adjustments.

How much are parts with 3.5" piping? It must be very expensive to overcome the costs of double the length of pipes in 2.5", a second resonator and muffler.

It doesn't matter, much. A restriction will allow the exhaust gasses to cool and become more dense - heavier, therefore the engine will be forced to work harder to expel the gases. If given a choice, you would want restriction to be closer to the manifolds, to keep the gases as hot as possible. Stock, OEM, exhausts usually have restriction in the front and back of the system. With inefficient Y-pipes, they must balance the pulse with further restriction, to allow for scavenging to happen to begin with. With higher performing systems, most aftermarket versions, the design is the same. The difference is that the components are more efficiently designed and create less restriction from the beginning and therefore need less in the end as well.
Thanks! That's a great answer! and on the first try!

Restriction starts at the header collector...unless you want 6 pipes on your V6 G coming out the back...assuming there was room for the components, this would be an optimal system, with x-pipes balancing all the tubes together so each can scavenge as well. Oh wait - the problem with that scenario is solved with the TRUE DUAL exhaust.
Actually its not solved with the 'true' dual exhaust.

Per the info you provided:
If 6 exhaust pipes are optimal, even with X pipes balancing them, cramming them all into 2 pipes is a sacrafice (not a solution) made in performance to allow more space to fit the system on the car.

Since we have a V6, I assume its only necessary to have an exhaust pipe on each side. Here is where I would see the benefits of a 'true' dual exhaust ('true' as mentioned earlier). But if we are to merge the two, I dont see any advantages between an X and a Y.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Clean G 4D, just give up. He obviously wont address the question head on and will dance around what you want, because he just doesnt have the answers. He'll continue to lecture with his "cut and pastes" and his "trust me because I know, and I'm not wrong because I also know that I'm right".

Just forget this windbag and ask Gurgen when you see him tomorrow. If anyone can answer your question, its the Mad Scientist

Old 10-04-2006, 04:56 PM
That's why exhaust companies do not manufacture that BIG single exhaust -0 its not worth it and dual systems work better - they know that, and hopefully so do you, now.

Rick
Thats right. Companies like JIC, DC, and Tanabe have dual exhausts systems that just give the illusion of being a single. riiiiiiight. They all have larger piping single exhausts

Its not as costly as you make it sound to create a large piping single exhaust setup. All you'd need is a Y pipe, larger piping, resonator (if needed), and a muffler. Less material, less costly, and less weight.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 PM
^ yea i guess. But I may not be going to the meet...

The usage of 'true' seems to be subjective... and probably used to aid marketing by some companies.

I will make another paint masterpiece after lunch to demonstrate my questions regarding X, Y, and even H pipes.

Cost is an understandable advantage for dual exhausts, and I would see why many companies would go this route. Especially since differences between gains in well designed exhausts are minimal.

To know a system works better is one thing, to believe it works better is another. Most consumers only believe in the products they use because they have faith in the manufacturer. Faith and beliefs are based on assumptions. Do I know, without question, if a dual is better? Not quite, but I'm getting there. I do believe it to be better, but thats entirely different...

There are other details regarding this that I am curious about, but they are beyond the exhaust mechanics we have discussed here and run in the realm of physics. If you want to have a try at them, let me know and I will post them up.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
Its not as costly as you make it sound to create a large piping single exhaust setup. All you'd need is a Y pipe, larger piping, resonator (if needed), and a muffler. Less material, less costly, and less weight.
Maybe, with more materials, the manufacturer has more parts/cost and more profit (with a proportional profit margin).

Old 10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Red Card Crew

Large pipes are available. ie.. for large engine and truck applications. Just have to think outside the box. Question is would these larger dia pipes actually do anything? IMHO anything over 2.75" - 3" might not to anything

Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple of observations here -

First, Rick. I used to really respect you man. But it seems with each post I lose a little more respect. This guy really was asking some honest questions, and watching in the weeds, so to speak, he's right in that you never answered his questions originally.

I understand your point about one doing one's own research, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with inquisitive people sparking debate - in fact, that's good for every body. Believe me, I'm a programmer, and I hate it when another guy just comes up and asks "how do you do this?". Take some time to figure it out yourself, and if you still have questions, then ask me. I'm with you there man. But he wasn't asking general questions, he was asking *specific* questions, like what characteristics of a ypipe make it inferior to an xpipe or hpipe, and the question about diameter for a single versus dual.

Next, you really didn't need to stoop the the level of being childish yourself. If he's being the child, let him continue to be. If it's one sided, the behavior will be more apparent.

If that offends you, then, sorry. Needed to be said.

And to the other guy:
I like your questions. Thought-provoking, at least for me. *BUT* - Rick was right, in a way. He suggested that you search. Later on in the thread he posted some information that you found yourself when searching; why didn't you just search to begin with, post links to the relevant material, and reference snippets for discussion?

Regardless, the behavior of both parties just became a negative feedback loop...

It's really sad that all this crap poluted the thread; there's good information in here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fundamental exhaust question...