Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

#1 Intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
I beg to differ. Injen and the rest will all suck up water and it doesn't have to be completely submerge. Water can splash into the intake and it can suck it right into the engine. I've seen motors hydrolock with as little as 2 inches of water. One thing about the VQ motor is that it generates a lot of heat. JWT is very expose it will suck all the heat in the engine bay when at full stop. That is the most critical part of the intake is when going from a stand still. Stillen is the best short ram CAI you can get. The heat shield is sufficient enough to protect the intake from heat and no worries about hydrolocking. In fact if you cover the z-tube with thermal wrap it will cool the intake by as much as 40 degrees. The Stillen might be a bit pricey but I think it's worth the money. Goodluck with your choice.
Well I have heard peoiple like you make statements on water sucking up into the filter. I drove from Florida to California this year (most of it through the rain) and never had a problem. You DO have to basically submerge the intake filter to get water into it. I have had mine for a year without any problems. Now as to if you get better performance off of a shortram or CAI... theres plenty of research out there on it. I have an AEM and love it.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned
jesus it's just a CAI

Originally Posted by Ramon
I will be very honest with you. I had the exact same questions before I bought my CAI. I was terrified of making the wrong choice. Well, first of all, the only water can be sucked into the engine is if you submerge the filter, which is almost impossible, unless you drive through a VERY deep puddle of water. Go to my cardomain webpage http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2378784 and see the pictures of my CAI. You will see exactly where the filter sits, and then I want you to ask yourself: "When was the last time I drove through a puddle of water that could have reached the filter??" The filter sits way too high!!!!
Now, answering your question about the brand. I say INJEN, K&N or AEM. The reason why I chose the K&N was because of their high reputation with AIR FILTERS. However, I learned that INJEN uses a K&N filter. Anyway, you can't go wrong with any of these brands. I would get Injen or K&N. I don't know... I kind of don't like AEM.

First off, AEM offers the highest HP gains out of their intake systems. If you go short ram don't expect more than just a little more noise. Injen's products are all peices of **** so don't go that route. I would either go AEM or Nismo or nothing.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you will gain a little power. It ridiculous to think that there are no gains from adding air but its also ridiculous to think that the gains will be substantial as well.

I can only give you my personal choice which I ended up being very happy with. Injen CAI + Skunk2 Racing 5/8"plenum spacer, installed at the same time.

Within 50 miles or so of driving I could certainly tell a performance difference with the two mods together. And the sound? Incredible. Even my dad, who is die-hard muscle car guy, Borla, Flowmaster, etc. said the tone was gorgeous.

Beware of people posting certain brands are peices of **** with no explaination. Injen had the best dyno results I could find. But every company is probably pretty much eqaul in all honesty.

So, if nothing else, believe a complete, anonymous strangers dad's opinion and go for the Injen and Skunk2 double team.

Last edited by lekker_droom; 11-05-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone really appreciate all the posts.... after reviewing i think ill get the Injen CAI, Ive got a buddy that has the stillen w/ztube and it sounds good but I really like the look of the Injen CAI

Old 11-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Thumbs up

Z tube and a K&N Drop in.
If you want more sound, just remove the power port.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
First off, AEM offers the highest HP gains out of their intake systems. If you go short ram don't expect more than just a little more noise. Injen's products are all peices of **** so don't go that route. I would either go AEM or Nismo or nothing.
Other than AEM and Nismo are the exact same product....

Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by OkinawianKid
Thanks everyone really appreciate all the posts.... after reviewing i think ill get the Injen CAI, Ive got a buddy that has the stillen w/ztube and it sounds good but I really like the look of the Injen CAI
You can always get a polished Z tube..

I saw somewhere, where someone actually had the Stillen re-fabbed in stainless and had it polished - looked great!!!

I can't remember where I saw it though. I think it cost him about $300 at a sheet metal/fab shop.

I've done major reviews and posts on this subject, from real testing - you can look them up. But the short version is this:

If your AT - get the Stillen - within 3 HP of the Injen up top, without the bottom end loss.

If your MT - go Injen - you'll clutch past the bottom end loss anyways.

Stillen also for safety and serviceability - if you have that concern.

Rick

Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 AM
what about Stillen Hi-flow/Z-tube vs Popcharger/Z-tube, im down to those 2 choices.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by emtguy05
what about Stillen Hi-flow/Z-tube vs Popcharger/Z-tube, im down to those 2 choices.
Stillen/Z-tube. On dyno tests and comparisons I've done on the two - the Stillen beat the Popcharger by more than 4 HP and 2 TQ.

Also - the Stillen outperformed the Popcharger by even more once the vehicle was hot - showing the Popcharger will get and has heat soak issues.

Rick

Old 11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
hot damn that was a quick response! Thanks Rick, do you sell these, if so im VERY interesed.

Ed

Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by emtguy05
hot damn that was a quick response! Thanks Rick, do you sell these, if so im VERY interesed.

Ed
No problem...

I don't sell ANYTHING, for cars that is...at least yet

FI only sells what is produces and works with...so the best bet is either Stillen direct or Performance Nissan...one of my favorites.

Rick

Edit: PS - then again I do have a Stillen and Z-tube I'm no longer using since I went FI...PM me...

Old 11-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another pointless thread with personal opions

Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Scootch
another pointless thread with personal opions
Some of us only post facts...

Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Stillen/Z-tube. On dyno tests and comparisons I've done on the two - the Stillen beat the Popcharger by more than 4 HP and 2 TQ.

Also - the Stillen outperformed the Popcharger by even more once the vehicle was hot - showing the Popcharger will get and has heat soak issues.

Rick
just to be clear - youre not talking about whp, right?

edit: i just read your other post.

Last edited by Calvin; 11-06-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
just to be clear - you're not talking about whp, right?
As posted - on dyno...that's wheel power...

I just responded to you on the other thread....I'll type WHP from now on, I ALWAYS post WHP numbers...can't pull the engine for crank HP readings on every mod now, can I

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: #1 Intake?