Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

throttle body spacer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
I understand what you are saying, but it is just difficult for me to believe that adding some vanes or "rifling" to the inner surface of a ¾” TB spacer to produce swirling of the intake air to help it flow around the curve of the plenum can produce a 8 WHP gain. I would really like to see some verified repeatable dyno results (same day, same car, same conditons) of this TB spacer. If it worked as good as claimed I would buy one myself.
I'm with you! That's why I said it seems hokey - but Shawn has 3 dynamometers and is very meticulous about consistency, conditions, etc... He has done many controlled product test dynos... if it came from anyone else I would be more skeptical... I'm not entirely sold on it, but I’m much more intrigued. It’s just hard to fathom though.
I have more research to do.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I have to agree. Even if the air was "swirling" when it left that spacer, I highly doubt it would "swirling" by the time it took the turn into each lower plenom bore, down into the head's intake track, and past/around the intake valve.

A hp increase of 8hp is pretty damned big. ie.. motodyne spacer big.

Originally Posted by DocJohn
I understand what you are saying, but it is just difficult for me to believe that adding some vanes or "rifling" to the inner surface of a ¾” TB spacer to produce swirling of the intake air to help it flow around the curve of the plenum can produce a 8 WHP gain. I would really like to see some verified repeatable dyno results (same day, same car, same conditons) of this TB spacer. If it worked as good as claimed I would buy one myself.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Plus you also have to ask yourself, since the only the edges of the spacer are swirled, then how much air is actually being "swirled"??? A far bigger area of the TB is represented by the inside of the TB

Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have to agree. Even if the air was "swirling" when it left that spacer, I highly doubt it would "swirling" by the time it took the turn into each lower plenom bore, down into the head's intake track, and past/around the intake valve.

A hp increase of 8hp is pretty damned big. ie.. motodyne spacer big.
The theory is the "swirling" helps make the turn where there is a curve just after the TB - it doesn’t necessarily do anything once it reached the upper plenum. And I don’t even know that "swirling" is the way to describe it - it does change the airflow, but to what degree I'm not sure.

This isn’t a given guys... I'm not saying this is a viable mod... I do however think it's worth looking into since Shawn apparently saw some gains... I just don’t want it to get convoluted - it's already going in a direction that was never mentioned (swirling air in the lower collector).

Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Plus you also have to ask yourself, since the only the edges of the spacer are swirled, then how much air is actually being "swirled"??? A far bigger area of the TB is represented by the inside of the TB
the inside of the TB isn’t that big... the TB spacer is just after that just before the curve of the upper plenum.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Red Card Crew

You also have to consider that only a very little of the total airflow though the TB is actually touching the surface of the TB. In fact, one could also argue that the ridges are a moot point. As air has a habit of creating a "boundary layer" inbetween what it touches.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
You also have to consider that only a very little of the total airflow though the TB is actually touching the surface of the TB. In fact, one could also argue that the ridges are a moot point. As air has a habit of creating a "boundary layer" inbetween what it touches.
Well you're obviously convinced it isn’t worth it - and that's fine... but until I do more research there really isn’t anything more I can add... but if you choose to comment please stick to facts that have been mentioned - otherwise misinformation gets passed on.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ballisticus
Actually, if you look at the new plenum, it is angled down in the front as well. Look at the distance from the center gap between the 2 pieces in the front vs. the rear. That whole front 2 cylinder air starvation myth was started by Crawford with their flowbench "study". It had nothing to do with how an engine operates in reality. Show me a real study indicating rich ratios using a multi-channel exhaust gas analyzer in each header tube and then I'll believe it. Nissan did not angle the plenum to clear anything. If they did, then why is it angled on the new G with no strut bar?
I beleive they angled it to get more air to the front cylinders. That's why AAM has their plenum spacer angled. Just my guess

Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Red Card Crew

If this thing results in a legitimate 8 hp (either at the wheels or flywheel), I will be seriously considering one. Help?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I just got off the phone with Shawn Church (owner of Church Automotive Testing)… he indeed did dyno a prototype TB spacer from a company called Ace Precision… he confirmed that it dyno’d about 8 hp on the upper end (5500rmp range)… I asked him in theory what could possibly be the cause and he explained that the one he testing had rifling on the inside edge – you have to install it one way only… it alters the airflow in a way – unlike the Tabulator that swirls the air prior to the TB and does basically nothing, this apparently helps the airflow make the turn on our curve (from TB to plenum)… he said it did nothing on cars that have a straight intake/TB to collector.

So in theory it’s not the added volume, it the altered airflow helping the air flow around the curve after the TB.

Seems a little hokey, but I fully believe Shawn. He wouldn’t state false claims of gains. I asked about clearance (he ran a ¾” spacer) – he has stock intake tube and said it fit but the accordion flex was collapsed all the way.

I don’t know if all manufacturers have the rifling – it looks like AAMs has functionality more for adapting other components – the rifling one might be worth looking into further. I tried doing a Google search and there are tons or Ace Precisions – so I’m not sure which one makes this particular TB spacer or if it’s even production ready… I will start researching some of the others though. Now that I know there is something other than added volume (which in theory is a bogus claim) it might be worth it?
I knew I wasn't dreaming

Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
I knew I wasn't dreaming
Nope you weren’t... more info is needed to determine if this is viable (for me anyway)... I'm glad you brought up the fact that Shawn dyno'd it because it has opened a few channels that might be worthwhile... I'm still digging...

Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
i'm pretty sure there are substantiated gains for throttle body spacers for other cars. i've read a few articles about how they are akin to velocity stacks (for the old timers) and carburator spacers (pre fuel injection days).

they are supposed to alter airflow and increase torque more than hp. this shouldn't be expensive or difficult to put in, so someone should try it and post up. i'll be more than happy to do it if no one wants to--let me know where i can get the one pictured above.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
i'm pretty sure there are substantiated gains for throttle body spacers for other cars. i've read a few articles about how they are akin to velocity stacks (for the old timers) and carburator spacers (pre fuel injection days).

they are supposed to alter airflow and increase torque more than hp. this shouldn't be expensive or difficult to put in, so someone should try it and post up. i'll be more than happy to do it if no one wants to--let me know where i can get the one pictured above.
They sell them in red or black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-N...mZ300099040415

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
80 bucks for 8 hp/tq!?--that's gotta be too good to be true. Someone should buy one and try it out.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Be careful ye Northern folk. This thing will isolate your TB from the heated plenum and it could allow the plate to freeze open. That would be bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer?