Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

uneven tips...easy fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uneven tips...easy fix?

I just got back from streetimage where they installed a stillen exhaust on my '07. Dru and the mechanics there were super courteous and finished everything in a timely matter. I was impressed. The car sounds and feels great and I couldn't be happier. I do have a minor concern though. I sent a couple of pms to the owners who've already installed their exhausts on the '07, but I thought maybe the rest of you can pitch in and offer some help. The left exhaust tip seems to be a little more crooked and lower than the right one. At a glance, you can't really tell, but if you look at it for a couple of seconds you can kinda see it. Anyways, is this a simple fix or does it require a complete disassembling of the exhaust. Since it's such a picky concern I don't want to have to drive back to the shop and have Dru and the guys fix this minor problem. I'll post some pics when I'm back home. Any input is appreciated.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Bad Toro
I had the same problem with the stock exhaust on the coupe. One tip was lower than the other. I grabbed a metal rod, stuck it into the tip and applied some force to bend it into place. BY NO MEAN I am suggesting you should do it. Check with Stillen for a possible quick fix.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 AM
No issue with either tip sitting lower on one side. The only concern I had was the quality of the polish on the rear portion of each muffler. Both had severe surface scratches and marring. I sent a complaint to Stillen and was notified by their CSR Manager that it's was normal. He also mentioned they focus their attention on the exhaust performance instead of quality of the look. You may want to see if Stillen will replace the one side.

Post pics of your car.

Aren't you located in the Hollywood area? PM me as I am also relatively close to that location. I'd like to take a look at your car.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan
No issue with either tip sitting lower on one side. The only concern I had was the quality of the polish on the rear portion of each muffler. Both had severe surface scratches and marring. I sent a complaint to Stillen and was notified by their CSR Manager that it's was normal. He also mentioned they focus their attention on the exhaust performance instead of quality of the look. You may want to see if Stillen will replace the one side.

Post pics of your car.

Aren't you located in the Hollywood area? PM me as I am also relatively close to that location. I'd like to take a look at your car.

For over $1k for and exhaust (a Stainless cat back, no less, not even Titanium), I'd expect them to at least care enough about quality control that they'd at least buff out the scratches before they bag and shipped it. I guess I'll wait until someone else who actually cares about the look as well as the function to put out a decent exhaust system that looks good, as well as sounds and preforms well. If I wanted an ugly exhaust, I'd drop a few bills at billy-bobs' exhaust shop, and have a custom exhaust made, It will still flow good! Besides, it's only good for what, 6 HP, even at the wheels, that's to a real noticable difference, definately not a $1k+ difference. If I'm gonna spend that kind of coin on an exhaust, it better look like it's worth $1k+!

Last edited by John2.5RS; 04-15-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan

Post pics of your car.

I'm taking the car to Street Image to get an oil/filter change on Tuesday and Dru and the techs are going to take a look at the exhaust and see what they can do about it. I've been wanting to take some pics. It rained a few nights ago and my car is dirty as hell. I'm gonna wash the car tomorrow and if I'm not feeling too lazy zaino the hell out of it. It's been a while.

I live on the NE corner of Melrose and Crescent Heights. Just north of Fred Segal. You're more than welcome to stop by. I'm not going to work tomorrow so let me know if you're going to be around.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by John2.5RS
For over $1k for and exhaust (a Stainless cat back, no less, not even Titanium), I'd expect them to at least care enough about quality control that they'd at least buff out the scratches before they bag and shipped it. I guess I'll wait until someone else who actually cares about the look as well as the function to put out a decent exhaust system that looks good, as well as sounds and preforms well. If I wanted an ugly exhaust, I'd drop a few bills at billy-bobs' exhaust shop, and have a custom exhaust made, It will still flow good! Besides, it's only good for what, 6 HP, even at the wheels, that's to a real noticable difference, definately not a $1k+ difference. If I'm gonna spend that kind of coin on an exhaust, it better look like it's worth $1k+!
Who said the exhaust was ugly? And how much HP do you honestly expect an HKS or Greddy exhaust is going to put out? Get over yourself. You do your waiting and get the HKS when it's out.