Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

HP Gain with stillen headers and catback exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You will notice the difference unless you usually drive a high HP car. I don't know why everyone on here is saying you will see almost no gains.

You will have gains and you will notice a difference. If there were no gains from these mods people wouldn't buy them.

-Sean

Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Ttrank my bad man.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I skipped the headers and just went HFC and exhaust... I've been pleased. The cost/benefit of headers doesn’t do it for me.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillen catback with MD 5/16 spacer.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
If there were no gains from these mods people wouldn't buy them.
Sure they would. They like the sound or the looks. Look at the ricers out there with orange juice cans at the end of their tailpipes!

Old 07-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
Sure they would. They like the sound or the looks. Look at the ricers out there with orange juice cans at the end of their tailpipes!
Those are hondas...different ball game. They are supposed to do that...its just...well thats what they were made for.

-Sean

Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
It's not rocket science to design a decent header and all the makes of headers tend to make roughly the same power. The problems with headers on our motors is this:

1) All the aftermarket headers (except for for one set that costs about $3K) are basically a "shorty" design. Shorty headers are not known for making big gains. Even on big engines like Chevy's LT1/LS1/L98 you'll be lucky to see to 8whp with shorty header and those OEM manifolds are far more restrictive than the VQ's. The domestic guys don't waste their time with shorty headers because the gains are simply not there compared to longtube headers. People say Crawford, Alphaworks, etc headers are longtube, but they're seriously mistaken. Longtube headers have super long primary pipes (24"+) and the aftermarket headers for the VQ are lucky to see 15"-18" and they're very convuluted.

2) The factory tubular manifolds aren't that restrictive. They're a bit ugly, but they can flow pretty good across the entire operating range.

From what I've seen, you'll see an average powerband gain of about 5whp with most any aftermarket header on the VQ with some peak gains nearing 10whp. However, average power across the powerband is what accelerates you, not a 10whp blip from 6200-6400rpms. Headers can cause a brief bog in acceleration off the line which doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is a huge deal if you're concerned about 1/4 mile performance. It is far more important to ET to get off the line hard (0-40mph) than to accelerate a little harder above 70mph.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you guys mean dyno tune the car..does a professional usually does this or anything that has an engine management ecu could do it from home..cuz ive seen some ecu for over 2k..im guessin those would be it right....

Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
It's not rocket science to design a decent header and all the makes of headers tend to make roughly the same power. The problems with headers on our motors is this:

1) All the aftermarket headers (except for for one set that costs about $3K) are basically a "shorty" design. Shorty headers are not known for making big gains. Even on big engines like Chevy's LT1/LS1/L98 you'll be lucky to see to 8whp with shorty header and those OEM manifolds are far more restrictive than the VQ's. The domestic guys don't waste their time with shorty headers because the gains are simply not there compared to longtube headers. People say Crawford, Alphaworks, etc headers are longtube, but they're seriously mistaken. Longtube headers have super long primary pipes (24"+) and the aftermarket headers for the VQ are lucky to see 15"-18" and they're very convuluted.

2) The factory tubular manifolds aren't that restrictive. They're a bit ugly, but they can flow pretty good across the entire operating range.

From what I've seen, you'll see an average powerband gain of about 5whp with most any aftermarket header on the VQ with some peak gains nearing 10whp. However, average power across the powerband is what accelerates you, not a 10whp blip from 6200-6400rpms. Headers can cause a brief bog in acceleration off the line which doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is a huge deal if you're concerned about 1/4 mile performance. It is far more important to ET to get off the line hard (0-40mph) than to accelerate a little harder above 70mph.
convincing enough for me. i knew the n/a upgrades were not spectacular for this platform but i didnt think they would be this bad either. i think ill stick with my spacer and just spray this thing. 500 bucks shipped get a complete wet kit and spray a 75 shot so i dont mess with the fuel pump then a couple more bucks for a gauge, blanket and maybe an arming switch. use my existing vafc2 to tune 1 program for n/a and another for nitrous.

Last edited by sloppymax; 08-02-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the stillen headers and got 10 hp 2 go with my stillen exhaust and z tube and it sounds great with plenty of hp and tq.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Peanut79
I got the stillen headers and got 10 hp 2 go with my stillen exhaust and z tube and it sounds great with plenty of hp and tq.
Have a before and after dyno?

BTW, you revived a thread from 2007.