Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Intake Mod - Kinetix Upper Plenum & Mrev2 Lower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007 | 08:32 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Staff Alumni
Let's keep it civil on this subject. This has been Just search and find all you want to know about intakes.

Old 02-10-2008 | 08:01 AM
Best a/m plenum or combination for 2005 G35

Howzit Gdrivers? I was reading the recents posts for the best plenums, and still looking for the best a/m plenums performance wise. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:33 PM
^what he said

Old 02-21-2008 | 12:42 AM
this thread went every direction other than one that makes sense...

Why are you guys talking about the SSV? He is asking about the Crawford type made of plastic Kinetix V+... basically it will do what the 1/2" spacer does but doesn’t give the OEM look... combined with MREV2 for non-revup, maybe not cost effective, but it helps incrementally...

I have 1/2" Iso Therm with a machined lower collector... using Kinetix with MREV2 would be very similar.

If it cost the same and you like the look – do it. Personally I think polishing or powder coating the OEM plenum looks better. However, the thermal characteristics of the plastic plenum (Kinetix) could be a minor benefit… if you’re gonna do it, get the MD IsoThermal kit too (every little bit helps)

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
this thread went every direction other than one that makes sense...

Why are you guys talking about the SSV? He is asking about the Crawford type made of plastic Kinetix V+... basically it will do what the 1/2" spacer does but doesn’t give the OEM look... combined with MREV2 for non-revup, maybe not cost effective, but it helps incrementally...

I have 1/2" Iso Therm with a machined lower collector... using Kinetix with MREV2 would be very similar.

If it cost the same and you like the look – do it. Personally I think polishing or powder coating the OEM plenum looks better. However, the thermal characteristics of the plastic plenum (Kinetix) could be a minor benefit… if you’re gonna do it, get the MD IsoThermal kit too (every little bit helps)
++++1. I read the thread over and over and couldn't figure out why they were bringing up the SSV.

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:32 AM
Hey, one thing I learned in this thread is that the Altima version of the Kinetix SSV looks like a much better (symmetrical) design.

Old 03-18-2008 | 03:34 AM
So is the verdict that the Kinetix V+ upper plenum should be a great combo with the MREV2?

Would it be better to get the 5/16" spacer with the MREV2 instead? Or the 1/2"?

Personally I like the aftermarket look of the Kinetix spacer and it costs roughly the same as the spacers. Has anyone done the MREV2 + Kinetix V+ combo? Any problems with the Kinetix plenum if going N/A?

I'm also debating just getting the MREV2 since the spacers w/ MREV2 just reduce responsiveness mid-range while adding redline power. Seems kind of pointless while trying to retain the little low end power these cars have.

Old 03-18-2008 | 04:39 AM
^^^ LOL you rising all the dead threads aren't ya Kinetix with Mrev2, hell naw not a good combination in my opinion, get the spacer, or the kinetix, if you want to get it with the mrev get that with the spacer.

Old 03-18-2008 | 09:27 AM
Haha... was searchin for intake info

Old 03-18-2008 | 11:56 AM
An aftermarket plenum is roughly the same as ˝” spacer… adding to an MREV2 is going to result basically the same… there is nothing wrong with using a KinetixV+ with MD MREV2 – it will basically be the same as using MREV2 w/ MD spacer.

If you like the look of after market plenum adding to the lower collector MREV2 is a fine choice – if you like an OEM/stealthy look – use the spacer with lower collector… the spacer will provide as good (in some tests slightly better) gains.

Old 03-18-2008 | 12:40 PM
An aftermarket plenum is roughly the same as ˝” spacer… adding to an MREV2 is going to result basically the same… there is nothing wrong with using a KinetixV+ with MD MREV2 – it will basically be the same as using MREV2 w/ MD spacer.

If you like the look of after market plenum adding to the lower collector MREV2 is a fine choice – if you like an OEM/stealthy look – use the spacer with lower collector… the spacer will provide as good (in some tests slightly better) gains.
I agree with this statement, the difference in hp is pretty negligible

I think its better that pavelg actually searched and added to an old thread rather than making a new one as it keeps the information together for easier searching in the future

Old 03-18-2008 | 02:07 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Considering how poor the kinetix manifold dyno's vs the spacers and crawford, I don't see it being that great of a mod with the MREV.

If you are worried about the cost, I'd run the new spacer offered at the Z forums. Slightly thicker than idea but would probably perform better than this combo.

Old 03-18-2008 | 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Considering how poor the kinetix manifold dyno's vs the spacers and crawford, I don't see it being that great of a mod with the MREV.

If you are worried about the cost, I'd run the new spacer offered at the Z forums. Slightly thicker than idea but would probably perform better than this combo.
not sure what data you are using to conclude this... but I suspect it's the chart you posted in another thread which is SportZ magazine plenum/spacer shootout that is also what MD uses for marketing... the data is valid and nothing wrong with "considering" it as a reference... however, it certainly is not the say all end all to validate your statement. I've seen dyno numbers from users of Kinetix recent version that are in line with most plenum mods...

I use MD 1/2" spacer and to me that makes the most sense... so I'm not trying to persuade anyone to use one or the other... but if you are going to make such definitive statements - please have some factual clarification. Because your "internet knowledge" doesn't jive with the real world facts I have seen.

Old 03-18-2008 | 02:35 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Well I've put up the dyno sheets that IMHO are the best representation that I could find. Where else is one going to find a comparision of all these spacers/plenums done at once, at the same place with the same conditions?
Exactly how do you know your data "jives" with theirs? You don't. One couldn't. I'm not saying Hydrazine's data the end all of data. But where is one going to find a more consistant comparison? Post it and I'll look at it.
The Kinetix is an okay plenum. But if the OP still has not purchased one, then why would one penalize themselves from the get go and buy one that doesn't dyno as well? If you are going to spend $, why not spend it on a combo that's PROVEN to dyno well? ie.. the 1/2" space + MREV? If you have Kinetix plenum + MREV dynos to view, I'd be really interested in seeing it. Just for my reference. I don't have a beef with either combo. If he can get a Kinetix for ultra cheap, then fine. If you have to buy one new, I'd get the 1/2" spacer. Or better yet, buy the slightly thicker unit from the Z forums for cheaper than the Motordyne spacer. Slightly thicker but IMHO should give you gains "close" to what's been proven already.

Here's another dyno sheet. Seems pretty fair to me. Hydrazine "seems" pretty fair from the dynos and from his posts. For ref, I have the Crawford V5. IT didn't dyno the best either. Then again, I got a killer deal on it also. So good enough for me.

not sure what data you are using to conclude this... but I suspect it's the chart you posted in another thread which is SportZ magazine plenum/spacer shootout that is also what MD uses for marketing... the data is valid and nothing wrong with "considering" it as a reference... however, it certainly is not the say all end all to validate your statement. I've seen dyno numbers from users of Kinetix recent version that are in line with most plenum mods...

I use MD 1/2" spacer and to me that makes the most sense... so I'm not trying to persuade anyone to use one or the other... but if you are going to make such definitive statements - please have some factual clarification. Because your "internet knowledge" doesn't jive with the real world facts I have seen.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 03-18-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2008 | 03:13 PM
^^^ you obviously didn't read my post in its entirety... If I need to explain comprehension to you this is a waste of time... If you re-read my post I think it's clear and concise and nothing you have added changes anything. – the only thing it did was confirm that the chart you posted are the source I mentioned… now before you start taking things out of context the way you normally do, read my post, understand it’s message and realize it is valid.

Bottom line is: Crawford, Kinetix V+, and MD ˝” or 5/16” are all fine choices and any can be used with modified lower collector such as MREV2.

Beat it to death all you want Jeff…

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Mod - Kinetix Upper Plenum & Mrev2 Lower